I just recently found out that I'll be obtaining a commission as a JAG officer in the navy, which I am pretty pumped about. The thing that has me nervous is that I'll have to wear my hair fairly short. My procedure is scheduled for 1200 units and I've been looking for some pictures of what should be comparable donor-scars (preferably pictures that are not close ups). I guess I'm just concerned about what I may look like when I have to keep my hair trimmed down to a #1or2 clipper guard. Any comments/reassurance/cautionary tales and, of course a point in the right direction as to pictures would be appreciated.

I just recently found out that I'll be obtaining a commission as a JAG officer in the navy, which I am pretty pumped about. The thing that has me nervous is that I'll have to wear my hair fairly short. My procedure is scheduled for 1200 units and I've been looking for some pictures of what should be comparable donor-scars (preferably pictures that are not close ups). I guess I'm just concerned about what I may look like when I have to keep my hair trimmed down to a #1or2 clipper guard. Any comments/reassurance/cautionary tales and, of course a point in the right direction as to pictures would be appreciated.

Tom,

Welcome to our forum community and congratulations on becoming a JAG officer. I trust you will serve our country well icon_smile.gif.

Honestly, if you are having strip surgery done, nobody can guarantee you that sporting a one or two clip on the sides and back of your head won't reveal a scar. If you have concern on showing the scar, you may want to hold off on a hair transplant until you can wear your hair a little longer.

Best wishes,

Bill

Tommo--if you are going into the JAG program your and you only need 1200 grafts, why are you doing strip?

You seem to be a perfect candidate for FUE, which will give you some options both today and tomorrow---I am not really in favor of doing large FUE mega sessions, but 1200 grafts seem perfect.

Quite honestly, a 1200 graft procedure will likely leave a beautiful scar, unnoticeable at a 2 or 3 guard---BUT, if your that .5% who have a problem (regardless of doc, this sometimes happens) there is no going back.

I would recommend not having a strip surgery or putting it off for a bit. Trust me, after answering 1000 questions like "What happened?" and you say, "Oh my scar"--then it's explanation city-----you will care.

Congrats on your commission---I have 2 years left at Valpo Law ---looked into the JAG program, can't afford to relocate with 2 kids.

Anyway, good luck with everything,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.