Buzz Cut

I keep my hair cut very short (like 1 cm) and I am thinking about a HT. I know it may seem strange to get a HT when I keep my hair cut so short, but I want to appear shaven and not bald.

So anyway, I have heard of a "less is more" theory when transplanting for people who have a buzz cut. Which means that there are less grafts required to achieve a fairly dense look. I wasn't sure if this is true or not??

Also, I do not think that the strip procedure would work for me since the scar would be very noticeable through my very short hair. Is this correct? I was thinking either the FUE or BHT would work best for me.

And since my hair is so short, wouldn't a BHT be a good option for me because even if the body hair does not look exactly the same as the scalp hair it shouldn't matter as much for me because I keep my hair so short.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks guys

I keep my hair cut very short (like 1 cm) and I am thinking about a HT. I know it may seem strange to get a HT when I keep my hair cut so short, but I want to appear shaven and not bald.

So anyway, I have heard of a "less is more" theory when transplanting for people who have a buzz cut. Which means that there are less grafts required to achieve a fairly dense look. I wasn't sure if this is true or not??

Also, I do not think that the strip procedure would work for me since the scar would be very noticeable through my very short hair. Is this correct? I was thinking either the FUE or BHT would work best for me.

And since my hair is so short, wouldn't a BHT be a good option for me because even if the body hair does not look exactly the same as the scalp hair it shouldn't matter as much for me because I keep my hair so short.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks guys

Guest Cousin_It

BobbySand...

Well...I am not so sure about your assumption that "less is more" is correct. Apparently your currently prefer very short hair, but not knowing your age or hair density, I would hesistate to agree with you. Perhaps if you could provide us with additional information we would be better able to advise you on this. You need to consider the future when contemplating a transplant. Styles change over time with age, just because a look is appropriate today does not mean it will be appropriate 5 or 10 from now. A low density will restrict the number of ways you can style your hair. Also, I believe the density you should seek to achieve would be better based on the overall density of your native hairs in non balding areas to better appear natural. I would seek to achieve the highest density possible initially to take into account possible future hairloss as an offset.

As far as strip vs FUE, not all individuals are good candidates for an FUE. On some individuals the process results in a high rate of transection making it a poor option. Granted the scarring may be less evident with short hair but it is not totally non-existant. Again not seeing a photo of your current donor area it would be difficult to give you an opinion.

As far as BHT, I would not even consider it at this time. This procedure is in its infancy, many kinks need to be worked out, furthermore it should only be reserved for those that have insufficient donor hairs. Though this would alleviate any signs of extraction on your scalp, I do not advise it.

Looking forward to you posting additional information concerning your condition, such as state of balding and ideally a photo so we can guide you further.

Bobbysand,

Cousin_It has given you some excellent feedback at this point and I agree with everything he posted. Without knowing more about your case, we can't give a very accurate recommendation. Additionally, have you tried any hairloss medication? Finasteride or Minoxodil? I recommend trying that first before considering an HT. It's very important to consider the LONG term and not the immediate short term when considering a surgery. As Cousin_It pointed out, hair styles change. Additionally, unless you are finished losing hair, getting an HT now without first getting it under control will most likely mean that additional surgeries are in your future to keep up with your hairloss. This is why it's always a good idea to start conservatively at younger ages when considering an HT. On the flip side, people who are older can typically start more aggressively.

I hope this helps generally speaking. If you are willing to do/answer the following:

1. how old are you?

2. Are you on any hairloss medication?

3. Where are you on the norwood scale?

4. What's your family history of hairloss?

5. Do you have any pictures you can/are willing to post of your recipient area (top of your head: hairline, top, crown) and donor area (sides and back)

Hope this helps get you started,

Bill

Thanks guys. I am definitely taking all of your advice and not jumping into anything right away.

Bill- My hairloss is very minimal right now, but my family seems to bald very quickly once they begin balding (this is what happened to my older brothers). I am 20 years old. I am not on any medications currently. How do I get Proscar??

That seems to be what everyone feels is the best medication. And what is the best thing to use in conjunction with that?? I have very fine hair (it has been like that my whole life).

Thanks Again.

Sorry, I have just a couple other questions.

Okay, I know that my personal situation does not call for an immediate HT. And I am still thinking and not planning on rushing into anything... but, hypothetically if I were definitely going to keep my hair cut very short for the rest of my life and if BHT saw some advancements that allowed it to be more predictable...

would it make any sense for me to look into a BHT?? Because currently I am under the assumption that when you have buzzed hair it does not matter as much if the transplanted hair does not look exactly like the scalp hair (as in the case of BHT). Is this true or does it matter even more when your hair is short??

In other words - am I correct in thinking that a person with a short buzz cut would be the best candidate for a BHT because the difference of the body hair from the scalp hair would be masked by the short cut. I dont know, I might be completely wrong. Any feedback would be great.

Bobby,

You have a good point if your hair were kept buzzed and the BHT was done without complication that it would probably blend in OK. Strip surgery will leave a scar which would not be visible with a little length of hair. It would show, even a thin scar if completely shaven down. Put off any work until your research all you can about strip, Fue and BHT. IMO BHT would be best used after a strip surgery to fill in the scar later, this way you are using scalp hair on top and front which may give you a better result. That is until uyou run out of money!! This would be very expensive!

NoBuzz

Bobby,

BHT is still in infant stages and the success rate is not that high yet. Though BHT sounds ideal, you may end up spending a lot of money on grafts that just don't take. There have been some successful cases, but most are not. It's up to you to take the risk, but at this point, IMO, I would not.

Regarding Proscar...you can get a prescription from your primary physician if he/she lets you. i say that because Proscar is primarily prescribed for the prostate, but when cut into quarters, it's the same medicine as Propecia which IS for hairloss. If your primary care physician won't give you a prescription, consult with a coalition doctor:

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

I wouldn't consider surgery at this point, however, they can help you map out a good future game plan for your hairloss. It might behoove you to see one of them anyway while thinking long term.

Bill