Need to find a "credible" surgeon in Chicagoland

Hello,

I need some advice from anyone with experience in choosing a surgeon. I am supposed to go to Bosley tomorrow morning, to have 2000 graphs placed in my head and after stumbling unto this sight with just 8 hours to go I have decided not to have the procedure done.

It seams that this forum is split 50/50 between good experiences and bad.

How do I go about making sure I select the right guy/girl for the job?

And does anyone have any recommendations on HT surgeons in the Chicagoland area?

.....thank you very much for all of your help, you just saved me $12k and a lifetime of regret.

By the sounds of old postings I believe I deserve to be made fun of for even mentioning Bosley. I am an idiot....but lucky to find this great site just in time.

- Carter

Carter,

You're not an idiot. I almost fell for the pitch from another national chain that runs late night infomercials as well. Your story is one that I've heard many times. Loads of guys either find online support just before or unfortunately just after having a procedure with a clinic or company that is not,shall I say, up to snuff.

What you need to do is take some time to sit back and take in what is available online. There are dozens and dozens of stories posted by patients themselves on this site and others describing their experience, yes, both good and bad. Look at all the results and but try not to just narrow your search down to those that have hair loss patterns like you do. This helps but look at where the patient started and where they wound up. If you see a pattern of excellence no matter what clinic did the work and what pattern of loss the patient had then you are more inclined to feel safe knowing that the clinic you choose, based on patients sharing their stories, will do just as good a job on you relative to YOUR particular characteristics.

You'll get loads of suggestions from patients telling you whom they chose and why but you need to decide this for yourself because you are the one that needs to live with the results for the rest of your life. Be patient, read, learn, apply.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Carter,

Welcome to our community. JoTronic gave you some excellent advice..and I agree.

Many people have fallen for sales pitches and believed what these companies say...it surely doesn't make you an idiot.

I do, however, strongly recommend that you cancel your Bosley appointment and spend time doing research.

Educate yourself regarding hair transplantation:

1. What is it?

2. Am I a good candidate for a hair transplant?

3. What makes a good clinic?

4. What makes for a positive result?

5. What can "I" expect from a hair transplant if I am a good candidate?

6. what are the risks involved with surgery?

7. What should I do to prepare?

Remember...hair transplantation is NOT a cure for hairloss, it is only a surgical procedure to move hair from one place to another. So be sure to do something to combat your hair loss so you don't lose anymore. Finasteride and/or minoxodil are medications that can be used to help you keep the native hair you have, and maybe (but rarely) help you regrow some hair.

When you are finally ready and decide you are a good HT candidate,

Do NOT let location ultimately decide on which physician you go and see. Many people travel all over the country/world to see world class doctors who have proven consistent positive results. You must choose a doctor that is right for you.

I always recommend that seeking patients consult with 3 doctors once they spend time researching and our satisfied with the work they have seen done by them. Since this doctor is closest to you, you might want to consider ONE of your consultations to be with

Raymond Konior, MD.

1s280 Summit Avenue, Suite C-4

Oakbrook Terrace

Illinois

Tel: (630)932-9690

Personally, I have not seen that much of his work, at least, not by any posting patients...but as a coalition doctor, I know that he has been given this site's confidence that he does solid work. But do consult with others too and do NOT be afraid to travel.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Carter,

Glad you didnt go with Bosley. I went to Dr Konior for a consult. Hes a nice guy that does good work with alot of pics. He also does alot of other cosmetic surgeries, which for myself kind of steered me away. He told me he could reduce my scar by 50% and get around 1000 grafts for $5000.

In the end I drove to Minnesota from Illinois and had Dr Shapiro perform the surgery He got 1,900 removed 15 minigrafts and removed the entire scar for less money per graft.

So if you want my opinion go to Dr Shapiro or at least give them a call.

Dr. Konier does very nice work and for those who are unwilling to travel in addition to paying his fees, he is a great choice.

However, most of us feel that geography should not be a deterrent when choosing a HT doctor.

While I consulted with Konier, I ended up with Dr. Shapiro for much less money and I feel I am going to have a world class result.

Other than Dr. Konier, there is no other surgeon in Chicago I would recommend--- I live the area and called many places, so please benefit from my many months of legwork.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Carter,

Well, it sounds like you didn't go for the procedure. Good for you. Enjoy your stay reading the forums here and good luck with your research.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.