shockloss, diffusing, or returning shocked hairs?

I had an HT of 4300 grafts 6.5 months ago. Hairline, temples, temple points and top/frontal section.

At 6.5 months I am noticing in the top section there are fine wispy 1 inch hairs, even further back where no work was done. I seemed to have diffused since the HT, even in areas in where no work was done.

I'm 47 and have thinned a bit on top but nothing radical at all, I still had basically a lot of normal hair on top. Over the years it has been very slow and minimal and had basically stabilized.

It seems since the HT I have diffused more in the last 6.5 months. Pretty much the whole top area. An unusual amount over such a short amount of time. It doesn't follow my hair loss pattern at all. Right after the HT and during the initial healing I did notice a more than normal amount of hairs shedding, even in the back where no grafts were placed. I posted about this 1 month after the procedure In this Thread and was told that collateral shock can occur, although rare.

So my questions are ...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Are these likely to be those hairs returning?

<LI>Are these likely hairs shocking and on their way out?

<LI>Do shock loss hairs shrink in length before they eventually fall out?

These hairs are all over the diffused area, as well as in the top area hwere there were hairs placed. The ones in back can't be late bloomers because there were no grafts placed here. In the immediate hairline, where the majority of density of the grafts were placed, it is thick and no 1 inch hairs like this are present.

Attached is a photo. The rest of my hair has grown out to a length of at least 3 inches including most of the transplants.

loss.jpg.2ce2587792eba3397a1f592e31be96cb.jpg

I had an HT of 4300 grafts 6.5 months ago. Hairline, temples, temple points and top/frontal section.

At 6.5 months I am noticing in the top section there are fine wispy 1 inch hairs, even further back where no work was done. I seemed to have diffused since the HT, even in areas in where no work was done.

I'm 47 and have thinned a bit on top but nothing radical at all, I still had basically a lot of normal hair on top. Over the years it has been very slow and minimal and had basically stabilized.

It seems since the HT I have diffused more in the last 6.5 months. Pretty much the whole top area. An unusual amount over such a short amount of time. It doesn't follow my hair loss pattern at all. Right after the HT and during the initial healing I did notice a more than normal amount of hairs shedding, even in the back where no grafts were placed. I posted about this 1 month after the procedure In this Thread and was told that collateral shock can occur, although rare.

So my questions are ...

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Are these likely to be those hairs returning?

<LI>Are these likely hairs shocking and on their way out?

<LI>Do shock loss hairs shrink in length before they eventually fall out?

These hairs are all over the diffused area, as well as in the top area hwere there were hairs placed. The ones in back can't be late bloomers because there were no grafts placed here. In the immediate hairline, where the majority of density of the grafts were placed, it is thick and no 1 inch hairs like this are present.

Attached is a photo. The rest of my hair has grown out to a length of at least 3 inches including most of the transplants.

Rambler,

In my opinion, you should not be experiencing any postoperative shock loss at 6.5 months after hair transplant surgery, especially in areas where you had no work done.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that male pattern baldness is progressing. "Wispy" hairs are an indication of hairs miniaturizing rather than "shocked" hairs that would simply fall out as thick as they are, only to return in a few months. But you may want to have your hair transplant surgeon evaluate the area anyway and offer you a better explanation.

Also, do you have any pictures showing the area at a different angle? If you have a photo of the area before the additional hair loss also, this would be helpful.

Best wishes,

Bill

Well, here is my rational as the best I can make of it. I'll call these hairs "fledglings" because they are about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long, which means they have been growing for at least 3 months.

The surrounding hairs aren't that much thicker. The neighboring hairs and most of the hair in this area is also thinner than the healthiest hairs I have ( donor, new transplants etc .. ) but it's been this way for many years without falling out.

So with this it would make sense to me that they could possibly be returning hairs that were shocked. Why else would they be so short?

I did buzz my all of my hair down to a 3, 1/2 inch or so I guess it could be possible that these hairs grew for a while, and are now deciding to call it quits while the rest of it kept growing normally to a length of over 3 inches.

It's just strange that so much thinning occurred in the 6.5 months after the HT when that hasn't been the pattern on my hair loss.

I'll dig through older photos and see what I can come up with.

Thanks Bill and Spex.

More often than not the hair that has gone into shock will grow back but after 3/4 months
This is what I'm hoping is going on. The fact that they are about 1 - 1/2 inches long gives me hope that they are shocked hairs growing back. Time will tell I suppose.

I was going to start a similar topic to this myself, im 5 months post op today and have notice in the last 2 weeks hair shedding, it doesnt appear to just be the top of my head but also around the donor site. I was a diffuse thinner before ht so is this shock loss? im panicking a bit because i thought shockloss only occured early in the ht healing not between 4-5 months. Any comments would be much appreciated.