Post HT help, please

Hello,

I am a female and I am at 7 days post-op. My swelling has subsided, and I am feeling much, much better.

My questions:

1. My scabs are very firmly attached at this point. I am using Johnson's Baby Shampoo and have been using the shower regularly for about three days (that is, letting the water from the nozzle hit my head). I do not "scrub" the grafts and just gently ease shampoo there.

So, when and how can I expect the scabs to loosen? Should I be "scrubbing" the graft area more vigorously (not scratch or force, but just generally wash more strongly)? I recall during my procedure asking Dr. Epstein, and he said that I should have the scabs off within 10-12 days and that I should facilitate that, and that is mentioned in the literature he provided. But I am not sure howto facilitate this.

2. I am reading that Aloe Vera or some kind of oil (Emu?) can help with itching. Where should i apply these? And how often?

3. The donor area is still very sore for me and I still cannot sleep on my back. I am pretty concerned about that, even though my doctor here said that it looked like it was healing fine. Any thoughts?

4. lastly, and most worrisome, I am having a lot of hair loss! I am literally pulling long and healthy hair (not the miniaturized kinds) from the area where the grafts were placed. Is the sign of shock loss? I wasn't expecting shock loss to occur for a few weeks. Did anyone else who had grafts placed WITHIN spaces of existing hair get this kind of hair loss? i am not brushing my hair or anything, but there is just hair and hair on the pillow--well, just everywhere. Anyone who can provide support with some shared experience or advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you, and I hope that the community here will help me through the coming months (if Bill doesn't ban me first--see other threads icon_confused.gif . I am a victim advocate--sorry, that's in my blood icon_smile.gif ).

Peace.

Hello,

I am a female and I am at 7 days post-op. My swelling has subsided, and I am feeling much, much better.

My questions:

1. My scabs are very firmly attached at this point. I am using Johnson's Baby Shampoo and have been using the shower regularly for about three days (that is, letting the water from the nozzle hit my head). I do not "scrub" the grafts and just gently ease shampoo there.

So, when and how can I expect the scabs to loosen? Should I be "scrubbing" the graft area more vigorously (not scratch or force, but just generally wash more strongly)? I recall during my procedure asking Dr. Epstein, and he said that I should have the scabs off within 10-12 days and that I should facilitate that, and that is mentioned in the literature he provided. But I am not sure howto facilitate this.

2. I am reading that Aloe Vera or some kind of oil (Emu?) can help with itching. Where should i apply these? And how often?

3. The donor area is still very sore for me and I still cannot sleep on my back. I am pretty concerned about that, even though my doctor here said that it looked like it was healing fine. Any thoughts?

4. lastly, and most worrisome, I am having a lot of hair loss! I am literally pulling long and healthy hair (not the miniaturized kinds) from the area where the grafts were placed. Is the sign of shock loss? I wasn't expecting shock loss to occur for a few weeks. Did anyone else who had grafts placed WITHIN spaces of existing hair get this kind of hair loss? i am not brushing my hair or anything, but there is just hair and hair on the pillow--well, just everywhere. Anyone who can provide support with some shared experience or advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you, and I hope that the community here will help me through the coming months (if Bill doesn't ban me first--see other threads icon_confused.gif . I am a victim advocate--sorry, that's in my blood icon_smile.gif ).

Peace.

Female_Hair_Loss,

I am glad to hear that your swelling has gone down and that you are healing nicely.

1. Though it is best to follow the advice of your hair restoration clinic, at 7 days post op, in my experience, "working" the scabs in the shower with your finger tips helps safely loosen the scabs. I have done this by massaging the recipient area gently with my finger tips (not the nails) with shampoo. I did this for 10 minutes in addition to normal shower time. I also showered twice a day and performed the same routine at night. It worked wonders for me and all the scabs were gone by 10 days, and I didn't lose a graft. Discuss this however, with your hair restoration physician.

2. You can apply Aloe Vera or Emu Oil as much as desired/needed. I personally like Aloe for the cooling effect it has on the scalp - but it doesn't last that long for itching before needing to reapply.

3. You are only 7 days post op...it will take the donor area up to a few months to feel completely normal. There is nothing to be concerned about at this point.

4. This is most likely shock loss. My advice is to be gentle with your native hair as it is most likely very fragile due to scalp trauma (hence shock loss). Do not "pull" it and be extra gentle when you brush/comb it. Most of my "shocked" native hairs fell out between 5-8 weeks (see my photo albums below), but I have talked to many patients who have lost native hair early. Though it is scary for sure, and there may be a few months where you will look worse than before hair transplantation, I feel confident that you will be in great shape in 6-12 months.

if Bill doesn't ban me first--see other threads

I have no idea why you would say something like this. I have never had any intention to ban you and it is very rare that anyone is ever banned from this forum (unless someone is an obvious spammer).

Cheers,

Bill

1. at 7 days post op, in my experience, "working" the scabs in the shower with your finger tips helps safely loosen the scabs. I have done this by massaging the recipient area gently with my finger tips (not the nails) with shampoo. I did this for 10 minutes in addition to normal shower time. I also showered twice a day and performed the same routine at night.

Wow, thank you for this advice. I think I have been too timid. I barely touch the grafts for maybe a minute at most! Ten minutes twice a day! I will try that tomorrow. THANK YOU!

2. You can apply Aloe Vera or Emu Oil as much as desired/needed.

can I get these at local pharmacies (dumb question, I know). Also, I need to start using rogaine in a few more days. So how does this work? Do I put on the rogaine, wait an hour, put on aloe vera for the day, wash my hair at night, and do the routine, and sleep with aloe on?

3. You are only 7 days post op...it will take the donor area up to a few months to feel completely normal. There is nothing to be concerned about at this point.

Thank you, Bill. That is much needed perspective.

This is most likely shock loss. Most of my "shocked" native hairs fell out between 5-8 weeks. Though it is scary for sure, and there may be a few months where you will look worse than before hair transplantation,

Ahhhhhh, my worst nightmare is coming through. Ah, I just feel really, really scared--combined with ubiquitous shame icon_frown.gif . Thank you for your vote of confidence. I really should start posting pics.

I have no idea why you would say something like this. I have never had any intention to ban you

Maybe it was partly a joke, but I tend to be out spoken and sometimes mods do not like that. I meant no disrespect.

Regards.

8dayspostop.jpg

8daysop2.jpg

8daysop3.jpg

These are 8 days post procedure. The last one is my way to document shock loss.

Any response is appreciated. I had 1600 grafts (I believe). I can confirm with my doc, if needed, but I think that is what he said I had put in. Although it could have been 1400 grafts, with 1600 hair.

What do you think? Does this look on track?

Thanks!

Female,

can I get these at local pharmacies (dumb question, I know). Also, I need to start using rogaine in a few more days. So how does this work? Do I put on the rogaine, wait an hour, put on aloe vera for the day, wash my hair at night, and do the routine, and sleep with aloe on?

Aloe Vera can be purchased at your local pharmacy though I never purchased Emu Oil. You can certainly purchase it online though. Perhaps another veteran member will point you in the right direction for the best place to purchase this.

Ultimately, you can apply Aloe Vera as much as you like however, I'd definately give the Rogaine at least 15-30 minutes to dry and absorb into the scalp before applying anything else to your scalp. Many people use Aloe Vera on sunburn as it helps soothe the skin. It doesn't have to be washed off except for normal shower time. It can be applied before bed as well.

Because your pictures are low resolution, it is difficult to really see the follicular unit grafts in detail. I can tell that the grafts are not too densely packed which I'm sure was an intent to minimize scalp trauma to minimize the risk of shock loss.

I think your pictures however, look right on target.

Since you are very concerned about shock loss, I recommend learning more about it by reading the following Hair Loss Q&A Blog: Help, I look worse than before my hair transplant

Best wishes,

Bill

Fal,

Thank you for your response. Sorry for the quality of the pics--I used my cellphone camera. I don't have a digital (I know, I live in a cave-era).

Now, I thought the grafts were to be placed very closely together. That is, the intention was to have them be densely packed so that I could get the maximum effect in the area in the front where people can see me the most when we interact.

So your comment that they are not densely packed worries me icon_frown.gif . I wonder if my showering regularly after only 5 days might have dislodged some grafts!

Ah. My roller coaster of emotions have started, i can see.

Thank you for the link on shock loss. I think I need a glass of wine first.

Sigh.

Originally posted by Bill -

I also showered twice a day and performed the same routine at night. It worked wonders for me and all the scabs were gone by 10 days, and I didn't lose a graft.

Hey Bill,

After 10 days post-op, isn't is expected to start to shed. I take it that by "lose a graft" you mean really lose the follicle, but shedding should be expected, right?

Thanks.

2-day session with Dr. Keene.

1's: 297; 2's: 1186; 3's: 1382; 4's: 999

Total grafts : 3864

Averaging 2.85 hairs/graft. Total hairs: ~11000.

Originally posted by Furless:
Originally posted by Bill -

I also showered twice a day and performed the same routine at night. It worked wonders for me and all the scabs were gone by 10 days, and I didn't lose a graft.

Hey Bill,

After 10 days post-op, isn't is expected to start to shed. I take it that by "lose a graft" you mean really lose the follicle, but shedding should be expected, right?

Thanks for the tip. I'm getting rid of the scabs at a much faster rate by following this.

Thanks.

2-day session with Dr. Keene.

1's: 297; 2's: 1186; 3's: 1382; 4's: 999

Total grafts : 3864

Averaging 2.85 hairs/graft. Total hairs: ~11000.

Furless,

Correct...I did not lose a follicular unit graft (which includes the follicle). Transplanted hairs (not the follicle) will start to shed between 2-4 weeks.

Female,

As I stated, it's hard to tell by the pictures - so I can't tell how densely packed the grafts are.

But I have faith in Dr. Epstein's work and am certain he did what was right for your situation. Did Dr. Epstein take before and immediately post op pictures? Perhaps you can email him and ask him to post them for you or email you.

Try to relax...you are going to be in good shape!

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thank you for always taking the time to respond.

I am now at day 11/12 and those grafts (scabs, I suppose) are very tightly lodged. I have been shampooing once a day and letting warm water loosen the scabs while working through them, but, wow, I have barely been able to move some scabs off.

1.Even though from the other threads I can tell that will be another few days on average to the scabs to come off, I wonder if anyone found that even at day 12, the scabs were not dislodging?

2. Epstein's literature states that i should start using rogaine on day 10. I want to start using it tonight, but with all the scabs still on, is that okay to do? I don't want to inflame/traumatize my scalp anymore than it has gone through already. Any recommendations?

Bill, Epstein did NOT take post-op pics, which was an oversight, I know. I was too exhausted to ask at that point, but yes, that should have been documented.

I sent E. some questions 2 days ago and I haven't heard back from him with answered. Knowing how prompt he is (or was) before my procedure, not hearing from him is worrying me. i will give him a couple more days and then call the office to get a better (more realistic, maybe?) sense of what to expect in the coming days and months.

Also, I looked for aloe, and all I could find was moisturizer WITH aloe in them. Is that what I should start putting on my scalp??

Thanks!!

This forum is FULL of great and positive information. At this point, If I were you, with the amount of comcern you have, I would verbally speak to your Dr.to let him know what you are dealing with. Bill and the rest of the veteran members are always quick to help any member out on the boards but since you are only 11-13 days post-op I would be calling your Dr. and let him address your concerns. Their services dont stop after the day of your procedure. I think he would be happy to hear your concerns and point you in the right direction. If nothing else, just speaking to the Dr.that you put all of your trust in, might just put you at ease. I know its a bit overwhelming for the 1st few days/weeks/months...everyone heals differently but what you are dealing with is perfectly normal. So give the Dr. a call and voice your concerns, if nothing else, for the peace of mind.

Good luck.

3147 ish) grafts Dr. Konior

No meds.

Female, my scabs took longer to come off. I thought it was because I used H&S 2% Zinc shampoo which is really soothing and doesn't promote flaking. But after I took a shower and my hair dried, I would gently rub the scabs so they would fall off like dandruff would. Don't worry, everyone is different and those scabs will eventually come off. Good luck.

Blowdry,

YAY!!! Thank you so much for your response. Double YAY: It's nice to know that you are as much freak that I am <span class="ev_code_GREEN">(and I mean that in a vert positive way icon_razz.gif )</span> . Your suggestions are really good,and I will try them tomorrow. I have noticed that I cannot even touch the grafts in my front hairline because they hurt like hell. But as my friend mentioned last night: Patience, grasshopper, patience.

Burt1973, I have contacted my doctor. Getting him to respond to me has not been as fruitful.

More than anything, I really appreciate it every time each of you tells me not to worry icon_smile.gif.

Thank you for your time. I will try-- try being the operative word--to not come here to only ask for advice and questions. I realize how rude it must be.

I am familiar with forum etiquettes, and I seem to have left them at this door during this stressful time. (quit yo whinin', girl)

Hope you all have a nice rest of the week!!!