Several Questions.

Nestito

Hello, I'm at the age of seventeen right now and have always had a hairline since birth, the fact that I have a five-head also doesn't help but give the image that I have a high hairline. Not to mention my hair is thin, and always has been. My dad is bald and so is his brother, but my dad's father isn't. My mother's dad just recently started losing his hair in his late 60's. I don't think I've really began to lose any hair just yet, but my question is whether I should start using products like Rogaine and Propecia to keep my hair at this level just in case I got the MPB gene? I'm at about a 1 to a 1.5 on the norwood scale.

Nestito,

I think that it is good that you are already doing your research on hair loss treatments for male pattern baldness at your early age and no signs of baldness to date. In my opinion, if you suspect you may be vulnerable (as your family history indicates), consult with a dermatologist who can evaluate your scalp and check for signs of hair miniaturization.

Hair loss typically isn't visible to the naked eye until a 50% loss in any given area, which is a significant amount of loss. Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil) work better in the early stages of baldness which is why getting tested early and semi-regularly has proven to be beneficial. Once you get your analysis, then you can make a decision as to whether or not to start Propecia or Rogaine.

Best wishes,

Bill