Shock Loss vs. Graft Shedding

Any opinions/experience with the difference in the regrowth of shock loss hair vs. a shedded graft? Does the shock loss hair take the same resting period (3-4 months) as a transplanted follicle.

By the way...thanks for all of the great info. Some of you are really attentive to the concerns of people like me and the information is very valuable.

ahback9-

After my 2nd HT, I was pretty sure the difference between them was evidenced by "how" they came back, not necessarily "when". I had a waive of bristly, coarse hair come back that appeared to be shocked hair since I don't think I had any hair transplanted in that area. My HT hair seemed to come in fairly then and wispy then thicken over time.

The HT hair actually started just after the 6 week mark.............the shocked hair at the 2 month and 1 week mark. This is just IMO. HT hair growth and shocked hair growth vary for everyone. For an average of each, I'd say 2-4 months for either to start.

I'm not positive that there is this difference in the hairs between HT hair and shocked hair, just my best guess from my experience.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

On the subject of shock loss, the consensus

seems to be that the only hair that will experience permanent shock loss are those that are destined to fall out anyway. However,is it possible for native hair that grow back (thus surviving temporary shock loss) still fall out permanently in the future? The way I am thinking is that,if this native hair originally was going to fall out in 10 years,HT surgery shortens its life dramatically,so even though it does grow back this time,but now will fall off permanently in 2 years.

ahback,

Hairbank is mostly correct, however, some transplanted hairs do grow back like shocklossed hairs as well, where the hair comes in already course and thicker...but this seems more rare. So there is no definite way to determine which hairs are growing back, the new or the shocked.

Bill_the_bald,

However,is it possible for native hair that grow back (thus surviving temporary shock loss) still fall out permanently in the future?

yes, this is possible. Temporary shocklossed hairs may still be susceptible to MPB just not that far along in the dying stages...they could definitely disappear in the future. Another important reason why anyone with a good amount of native hair left but experiencing MPB should be on finasteride to lessen the risk.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill_the_bald:

the consensus seems to be that the only hair that will experience permanent shock loss are those that are destined to fall out anyway.

Bill- I assume you're talking about the recipient site only, correct? I mention this because it's also common to experience some shock loss around the donor area but none of that is is MPB susceptible so it should all come back icon_smile.gif.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.