transplants and medication

i have taken no medication and had no proceedures. i think i am a norwood 2 or 3, with a pretty long middle peek bit, but receeded hair to the sides of the peak.

I am 29.

I plan to get a hair transplant i think, in sydney australia.

I was wondering if you guys think its mandatory to take medication to compliment the transplant?

All the medications have to be taken for life is this correct? If you stop taking the medication will your hair fall out in bundles?

Would i have to take medications before i have a transplant to stablise my hair losss? or is it fine to start taking medication post transplant only?

What do you guys recommend?

i have taken no medication and had no proceedures. i think i am a norwood 2 or 3, with a pretty long middle peek bit, but receeded hair to the sides of the peak.

I am 29.

I plan to get a hair transplant i think, in sydney australia.

I was wondering if you guys think its mandatory to take medication to compliment the transplant?

All the medications have to be taken for life is this correct? If you stop taking the medication will your hair fall out in bundles?

Would i have to take medications before i have a transplant to stablise my hair losss? or is it fine to start taking medication post transplant only?

What do you guys recommend?

Right on mtkneed.

Hair is not going to fall out in bundles if you stop taking medical therapy. To me that implies that you are worse off my taking medical therapy. If you take it, you will likely stabilize your pattern. If not, you will continue to lose hair. If you go on then get off, your pattern will progress to where it would have been had you not taken anything. I can't think of any situation where your hair is worse due to meds.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

guyfromsydney,

MrKneed and theHairLossCure have given you some great advice.

"Compliment" the transplant is the proper word.

Hair loss medication is not required to keep the transplanted hair...but it might help keep the existing native hair and maybe even reverse the miniaturization process for hairs not too far gone.

Best wishes,

Bill

thank you guys.

Rogaine and propecia? if you want to reduce shock loss from occurring, how long would be a reasonable amount of time to take the drugs before having a transplant?

I only require a transplant towards the front of my hairline, would the drugs still be of benefit - because ive heard they are only useful for the crown and back of the head?

Can you take the drugs, every couple of days etc? and still derive some benefit? I am concerned about the side effects.

also You say your hair probably wont fall out in clumps if you stop taking the drugs?

If say in 5 years time i would have a certain level of baldness with no medication at all, and under scenario 2 If i took the drugs for say 4 years and then ceased taking the drugs?

Would you anticipate by the 5th year under both conditions my baldness would be the same? due to the fact i stopped taking the drugs?

do you guys know what i mean?

does your baldness catch up to where it was meant to be at an extra fast pace, if you stop taking the drugs?