The one thing I am worried about is that scarring will be so bad that I won't be able to have a close crop, buzzed look ever again in my life. How long do you have to keep your hair to cover up the scarring?

eagle,

This depends on the type of surgery you have (strip or FUE), how the scarring heals, and your hair characteristics.

I've had 3 strip surgeries and can conceal the scar with a 3 or 4 clip nicely.

Scarring is part of the package whether you choose strip or FUE for surgery. If you undergo surgery, you can pretty much rule out shaving your head completely, though in many cases, wearing your hair short will work just fine.

Bill

Isn't it ironic that a lot of us want hair back so bad but then want to shave it? I'm the same. I think it's a psychological thing with me, as before I was thinning I never thought about clipping my hair close. Of course, that sort of thing wasn't in style in the 80's but still.....

Maybe it's just that we want to have options, after not having any for so long.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

You would need to be an excellent healer in order to buzz your hair down after ht surgery. At the same time, most of the patients you see on this site are quite to able keep a short haircut after doing a surgery (how short varies). These folks generally make good choices in terms of their doctor though. You will need to realistic about scarring but not unnecessarily worried.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.