Helmet Head?

Got another question guys: how long before I can wear my motorcycle helmet after the HT? I know it depends on rate of personal healing in donor and recipient areas, but anyone have an idea on average?

Also, because I often shave my head, I wear a skull cap quite a bit; the winter beanie kind but they're not as thick at all and not tight either. They are like the Under Armour type, just a lot less expensive. icon_biggrin.gif I wear it under my motorcycle helmet and also just wear it the way others wear a baseball cap. Would these be ok to wear instead of a baseball cap? Or maybe a week after transplant I could switch from baseball cap to these? I am on a one week spring break from school (yes I went back to grad school at 40yrs old icon_rolleyes.gif ) and return the week after surgery. During that week off of surgery I only plan on wearing a hat if I step out of the house. After that, it will only be for a couple of hours per day to go to class. Sound safe?

Got another question guys: how long before I can wear my motorcycle helmet after the HT? I know it depends on rate of personal healing in donor and recipient areas, but anyone have an idea on average?

Also, because I often shave my head, I wear a skull cap quite a bit; the winter beanie kind but they're not as thick at all and not tight either. They are like the Under Armour type, just a lot less expensive. icon_biggrin.gif I wear it under my motorcycle helmet and also just wear it the way others wear a baseball cap. Would these be ok to wear instead of a baseball cap? Or maybe a week after transplant I could switch from baseball cap to these? I am on a one week spring break from school (yes I went back to grad school at 40yrs old icon_rolleyes.gif ) and return the week after surgery. During that week off of surgery I only plan on wearing a hat if I step out of the house. After that, it will only be for a couple of hours per day to go to class. Sound safe?

Hey Pushing,

I'd say after 2 weeks you can wear whatever you want on your head as long as it doesn't hurt. Obviously your donor will be tender for awhile...so don't be too harsh with it. Hope that helps bro. Your surgery is soon man...can you believe it? Deep breaths! Breathe in....breathe out! Then show me Sand da floor!

Bill

Hey P40,

I'd suggest you talk to your Surgeon to find out what their guidelines are.

Dr. Shapiro really restricts helmet use if at all possible for couple months after surgery. Something so heavy on your your head is bound to rub the hairs.

pushing,

I'll further suggest talking to Dr. Hasson as well to get his feedback. I don't know anything about motorcycle helmets...but I do know that "rubbing the hairs" is fine after 2 weeks. One day after my stitches were out, I was already wearing a tight fitting fitted hat. I did that after all three surgeries and was told that was ok. BUT like I said...since helmets are heavy, you may want to be careful...IMO, more for the sake of the donor area than for the recipient area. A few months seems like an overshot to me IMO...but I'd be curious to hear the words from a doctor.

Bill