What Is Avodart And Prostaguard? ... And Does It Work?

What is Avodart and Prostaguard? I've heard a little about them, but not much. And do they work? Or are they just a waste of my time and money...

danger

What is Avodart and Prostaguard? I've heard a little about them, but not much. And do they work? Or are they just a waste of my time and money...

danger

Avodart works. It is similar to Propecia/Proscar. Its results can be more spectacular, but its side effects more damning.

There have been a lot of posts on Avodart. Do a search and you'll get a wealth of knowledge.

"Whoops" in particular has many great posts on his experiences with Avodart.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

The same as propecia I think, just more likely, I think. I am almost 3 months into using proscar, I think my hair might be getting a little fuller, but I am not possitive, I am thinking of switching to avodart but I don't feel like shelling out all that money.

none

none

Avodart's side effects are more pronounced forms of what you might see with Propecia, in general.

No kidding, because it blocks a lot more DHT. Almost all of it. And I'm not sure that is ever a "healthy choice". Yet, it might work out.

Here's what really sucks: the half-life of dutasteride (Avodart) is 6 months. Finasteride's (Propecia) is 2 weeks. If you have side effects from Avodart, you will be stuck with them for a while.

And yeah, Avodart is really expensive compared to Proscar. But because of Avodart's insane half-life, you can "miss" more doses after you get it in your system. Let's face it, it isn't going anywhere fast.

You are more of a "slave" to Propecia. You miss a lot of doses, and your hair will start to fall out. However, what if your side effect is the lovely "decreased libido". Can you deal with not wanting sex for a month to a year? Can your girlfriend? LOL! On a serious note, that could end a relationship unless that is one hell of a supportive woman.

Okay, I'm rambling. You get the gist.

Prescriptionskeywest will sell you Avodart too. It is expensive, but I recommend them because they get you your meds very quickly, for a decent price, and without hassle.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

My postion would be the same. I'm not sure the safety of the drug has been well documented. We know everyting about Proscar it has been on the market for over forty years and it's safety record is known.

• 2 years later...

Avodart has worked great for me. I have not lost a hair since I started it, and my crown area has gotten much thicker. I got a prescription for it from the medical wellness center (google it)online it cost about 50 dollars u.s. and came within three weeks. It also comes with six refills. The cheapest place I found online was from globaldrugsdirect. I had to fax them the prescription and some photo id. My prescription came in about three weeks and is genuine glaxosmithkline avodart. The price was 159.00 including shipping. Not bad for 90 capsules. The only knock is that the prescription comes with 6 refills but they will only do three at time. Maybe you could use the same prescription twice? I dunno..... Anyways, I hope this helps.

JBlack-

Just a helpful hint..............look at the "Posted" date at the top of each post. The last on this topic was 7-27-03. I don't think these posters are still active.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.