Best Surgeon for Minimal Redness/Evidence

Neptune

Hey guys. This is kind of a spinoff of the other thread but it is not surgeon specific. It seems that the coalition is packed with good docs, so this is really about this:

Does anyone know the "best" surgeon who is known for limiting redness post op? Or even what your personal experiences were. I'm a Norwood 2 who will need max 2000-2500 total FUs to fortify the hairline and bulk up. I'm trying to figure if there is a surgeon I should zone in on in the coalition who uses such fine blades and techniques that, after two weeks, I should have a decent chance of hiding what I've been up to! Any input you have is appreciated!

Hey guys. This is kind of a spinoff of the other thread but it is not surgeon specific. It seems that the coalition is packed with good docs, so this is really about this:

Does anyone know the "best" surgeon who is known for limiting redness post op? Or even what your personal experiences were. I'm a Norwood 2 who will need max 2000-2500 total FUs to fortify the hairline and bulk up. I'm trying to figure if there is a surgeon I should zone in on in the coalition who uses such fine blades and techniques that, after two weeks, I should have a decent chance of hiding what I've been up to! Any input you have is appreciated!

Neptune,

This is really difficult to say because a lot of what you are asking is not only doctor specific but patient specific. The amount of redness is relatively patient specific, but from my experience, the greater the dense pack, the more chance of it being red. The amount of time for redness, however, again, is more patient specific. You didn't mention shockloss...but it's the same type of thing...there is no predictable pattern for this, it's patient specific, though seemingly the more incisions in a given area (dense packing), the more likely shockloss seems to become.

BUT...from personal experience and after 3 doctors, I do have to say that I've experienced the least shockloss from Dr. Hasson and it was the cleanest surgery by far...less scabbing and smaller scabs, etc. Feel free to check out my pictures posted below.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I had actually looked at your pics and was impressed with the limited redness you had after 6 days. Wish I could have the same. I just didn't know if "ultra refined" with 1.5 mm blades or something like that made any difference or if that is what everyone is using these days. May sound stupid and probably is cause I'm repeating what I see on many of the doc's websites and message boards. Don't really know if people who have been to docs have heard them say "you know, I do such and such which really helps the healing process and not all docs do this." I won't be able to wear a cap after two weeks and I'm in a high profile job so "low profile" is the key!

well if low profile is your key, your biggest enemy will be if you choose to go to a doc that shaves the recipient area. For me, I went around with a cap for awhile but took it off after awhile. I'm sure people wonder why I have a scar around my head and why my head is shaved with some redness, but I didn't really care...I knew it was temporary.

But no, I haven't heard of any technique that a certain doctor will use that will minimize redness, except that ultra refined follicular unit transplants in general with custom cut small blades as small as .6 mm I believe will really help give you a faster healing process.

Bill

The best docs will be able to limit post-op redness by controlling scalp trauma. I am fairly pale, and I did not experience much post-op redness at all. After all the scabs were gone, I had the normal very slight pinkish tint to my scalp, but that is about it.

A good rule of thumb is dark or olive skinned people will experience less redness than those of us who are pale.

If you are pale, I would suggest a nice light brown tan. Do NOT burn your scalp or deeply tan it, just a nice light brown tan.

After 5-6 days you will usually not be able to see any redness at all.

Dr. Shapiro's incisions generally cause very little trauma to the scalp, but many patients of Dr. Wong and Dr. Hasson experience very little redness as well.

This does depend on the individual as well!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Guest Cousin_It

Neptune...

Though to a certain extent, post op redness can be a result of the surgical methods and skills of the surgeon, I am sure we will all agree that due to the qualifications of the Coalition doctors there will be minimal variences between one doctor to another.

I feel more importantly, post op redness, is more attributed to our own bodies reaction to the surgery. Some people, classified as histamine positive, tend to retain redness in the area for a longer period, sometimes up to six months. A simple test to determine if you would be classified in this category would be to scratch your skin lightly, if redness developes as a result you may fall in this group.

Some simple strategies can be implemented to counteract this. First the use of copper peptides immediately following surgery, Graftcyte, and continued for the first two weeks can diminish this. Also medications such as Benadryl can reduce histamine release and the apparent redness that ensues. Hope this is helpful to you.

Guest Cousin_It

A number of doctors now provide the Graftcyte line to patients after a transplant with the goal of minimizing graft problems and speeding up recuperation. I do not believe you can actually purchase it directly from the company but your doctor should be able to get it without a problem. This is the site for more info

GraftCyte

Guest Cousin_It

My doctor did not have the Graftcyte line, but I managed to get the moist dressings through a pharmacist I know. I believe they helped me. This was my first transplant so I have no comparison to make but within a week all the scabs were gone and by two weeks just about all the redness was gone too. Hey, it worth a shot, maybe I would not have done so well without them.

Graftcyte is indeed something your HT Doc should offer to you.

I used it every hour for the first 3-4 days after my surgery and it seemed to help with itching, healing, and overall recovery.

Cousin_it, REALLY good information my friend!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.