A first time user posting on this site

Well, my name is Chris and I am 26 years old and Live in Buffalo, NY. I have experience hair loss since I was 17 or 18 years old. At age 19 I started taking Propecia (sorry for the misspelling) and I have all started taking Rogaine. I am still taking Propecia and I am trying to take Rogaine at least once a day. its hard to keep up on the regiment.

Anyways, I noticed my hair is slowly going bald. I have been thinking if I should get a hair transplant. I have been thinking about this for the last year and a Half. Now I just graduated from college, I have more time looking into this matter. So today I went to a local hair clinic who does transplants. I am just doing the research in pricing and finding what is the best situation for me. He told me the price range of my 6,500-11,000 bucks. he claims all the hair that he would plant would grow back, but he says that even though it would grow back he said there would some thin areas. Than he went on pushing this new idea that they have been doing is a non surgical procedure that involves hair grafting. It's a very expensive procedure to do because it cost 4500 every year to maintain it.

I see all of these commercials and ads about all of these hair transplant places such as bosley and all but my goal is to find the right procedure to do, the right Dr. to do it, and at the right cost. Now I got another question I know hair transplants are a risky surgery to do is the success rate of them better than they once were? Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do. Has anyone heard of Dr. Quatela and is he a good DR? He is the closest one in my area? Or is there another Dr. I should look into? Sorry for the long post. I just hope I can find some answers. I am just sick and tired of living my life inside of a hat.

Well, my name is Chris and I am 26 years old and Live in Buffalo, NY. I have experience hair loss since I was 17 or 18 years old. At age 19 I started taking Propecia (sorry for the misspelling) and I have all started taking Rogaine. I am still taking Propecia and I am trying to take Rogaine at least once a day. its hard to keep up on the regiment.

Anyways, I noticed my hair is slowly going bald. I have been thinking if I should get a hair transplant. I have been thinking about this for the last year and a Half. Now I just graduated from college, I have more time looking into this matter. So today I went to a local hair clinic who does transplants. I am just doing the research in pricing and finding what is the best situation for me. He told me the price range of my 6,500-11,000 bucks. he claims all the hair that he would plant would grow back, but he says that even though it would grow back he said there would some thin areas. Than he went on pushing this new idea that they have been doing is a non surgical procedure that involves hair grafting. It's a very expensive procedure to do because it cost 4500 every year to maintain it.

I see all of these commercials and ads about all of these hair transplant places such as bosley and all but my goal is to find the right procedure to do, the right Dr. to do it, and at the right cost. Now I got another question I know hair transplants are a risky surgery to do is the success rate of them better than they once were? Does anyone have any suggestions what I should do. Has anyone heard of Dr. Quatela and is he a good DR? He is the closest one in my area? Or is there another Dr. I should look into? Sorry for the long post. I just hope I can find some answers. I am just sick and tired of living my life inside of a hat.

Originally posted by BAVCHRIS:

Than he went on pushing this new idea that they have been doing is a non surgical procedure that involves hair grafting. It's a very expensive procedure to do because it cost 4500 every year to maintain it.

Chris, welcome to the forum, we are here to help you.

This "idea" he is pushing sounds like a fancy term for a toupee. Be careful how you proceed, educate yourself on this site and you will make the right decisions.

Also, do not be afraid to travel to find the best doctor for you.

NoBuzz

Guest wanthairs

chris.....

forget the butcher you went to....Take our advice and go see Dr. Alan Feller for the real scoop in your neck of the woods

BAVCHRIS,

Welcome to our community,

It is best that you take some time and research hair transplantation before jumping in. consider all your options.

Be extra careful when selecting a physician. Select a physician/clinic that is researchable publicly...only select a clinc that has proven consistent results.

Hopefully the below threads I've posted will be helpful to you in your research:

What should I consider when researching hair transplantation?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...071019713#5071019713

How do I choose a hair transplant doctor?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...431091313#4431091313

Bill

What is the name of the clinic you went to? If they have a site, point it out. Basically, the fact that you didn't agree to a procedure right away and came here just saved you years of grief and thousands of dollars.

Go see Dr. True, Dr. Dorin, Dr. Bernstein, or Dr. Feller. Each of them are in New York.

Run, don't walk.

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

the clinic that i went to was Santangelo and its web site is www.santangelohair.com

i went there cause u can say i am shopping around and get an idea what to expect. Plus clinic was close to my house. I am trying to find out what doctor is the best for me. my next dr visit i was going to do was Dr. Dr. Quatela, he was on the list of Dr. that I found on this site but he doesn't have the coalition membership status such as Dr. Feller. The reason why i was going to pay him a visit cause he does come out to the Buffalo area. But I think its good to get a few Dr.'s opinions before i make a final decision. But I Will take your guys offer about Dr. Feller and the other 3 dr.s that you have mentioned. Its too bad they are 8 hours away from me. But Hey i know have a reason why to take a trip to NYC. I got a question what do people think of Dr. Epstein? I saw him on CNN on day doing a hair transplant for little girl and he does go to NYC for his practice.

Guest wanthairs

Bav...

I used Dr. Epsteing 10 weeks ago. I have growth starting. I would highly recomend him, although, I wontknow the full results for another year or so......I looked at santangelo har....they do Microgrsfting which is ancient technology and looks like shit to put it mildly. They have one crappy colored faded pic to show results....Please STAY AWAY FROM THEM ! Stick to a coalition doc......If you need extensive work done, check out Hasson and Wong

Hello Chris, I am also a new member to he forum here and just had my first H/T June 25th in Manhattan with Dr.Bernstein. I can only say this, the experience was an excellent one. He and his staff at his clinic were extremely professional, curteous, kind and quick to help in any way possible with my many questions an apprehensions. This is a surgical procedure afterall and should not be entered into lightly. Do your homework,(this forum seems fantastic, I wish I had found it before hand to ease my fears) learn as much as you can and ask as many questions as possible before making a decision. Make a trip to any clinic you are considering for a consultation with the doctor and move forward from there, you will feel much better after making the effort and it will ease your mind. I can only say being 20 days out from my procedure that I am very pleased thus far, but, as you know, will have to wait the necessary 6, 8, 10 months out to see the true effect of Dr Bernsteins work. I would highly reccomend him. Good Luck Chris, keep us posted.

Don't let location be a factor in deciding which surgeon to go with. I had mine done by Dr. Rahal in Ottawa. He is not far from you and prices are great. I would consult with at least 3 HT doctors before making the final decision. Good luck!

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

-- There are thousands & thousands of doctors who perform HTs in North America. But the number of doctors who actually do good work is barely enough to fill a baseball dugout.

-- The skills of the doctor are not correlated to the amount of advertising they do. Not at all. If the doc/clinic is on an infomercial, that usually means you should run away. Fast.

-- Don't let travel be a factor. If you won't spend an extra $700 to get some plane tickets & hotel rooms, then you're not ready to do this surgery.

-- Money is always gonna be a factor, but be wary about how much of a factor you let it become. Repairing/improving a bad HT later on will cost you a hell of a lot more than you probably saved on the original doc. It's much better to wait several years until you can afford decent HT work than it is to start with a cheapo job to "cover the bases" in the meantime.