Simple but effective and oft overlooked thought on "therapy" for the balded soul...

While I currently am not "plauged" by hairloss (no doubt "it" still occupies a place in my mind icon_smile.gif), it consumed me for a good ~2 years in the worst of ways.

I injected my soul and life w/ a much needed nitrous boost principally through one method -- devoting myself to a physical hobby. Exercise itself is monumental, IMO, for a sound mind (sound mind & sound body, as Shakespeare might say); combining physical exertion with a pursuit that distracts, occupies, challenges, and delivers satisfaction is a mighty weapon in getting through any difficult period of time, hairloss most notably included.

Examples, which can ideally include socialization: raquet sports, golf, martial arts, etc.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

thanatopsis,

Physical activity is good for the soul. I've always felt at my best when I've been in good shape, especially the cardiovascular stuff, biking, swimming, martial arts, etc.

Spending time looking to restore our hair is understandable and why we are all here. But going out to live our lives is also highly important icon_smile.gif

Best wishes,

Bill

Healthy body = healthy mind.

I suffered from anxiety since i was young so i have always been a big proponent of exercise to reduce stress(cuased by worries, work, or MPB). Nothing takes your mind off a problem than hard exercise, but exercise can also help you put a worry in perspective...at least that's how it worked for me. Quite often i would discover a solution to a problem while I was working out and not being so focused on the problem. Plus, it's hard to worry when you're sweating!

ta, I read somewhere on here that you do bjj and i was curious when you started training after a HT. I do the same sport and am 4 months post ht and am anxious to get back but worried about getting put in a headlock by some newbie and stretching my scar. Am i safe to restart training?

I started after 1 month; I was rather tentative, and eased my way into it. Well, as much as you can "ease" your way into a jitz class. icon_smile.gif I remember just tapping a lot, prematurely much of the time, in spots where I felt I was at a greater risk.

I'd have to think that at 4months resuming jitz is a pretty safe bet for you. At the same time, do a personal evaluation of your scalp, and speak w/ your doctor if you are unsure about where you on your recovery.

I myself was never terribly concerned about my scar -- at least in relation to how I was going to let it impact my exercise regime and lifestyle. I also recouperated pretty rapidly, and I figured there were enough variables where my scar could go awry even if I was 110% cautious. Don't get me wrong, I'd like as non-existant a scar as is possible, but given the aforementioned factors, and that FUE (BHT?) scar repairs looms in the present and future I made a choice, evaluating the risk-rewards as I saw them.

Btw, I also suffer from fairly severe general anxiety and w/o exercise I'd be a wreck.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Thanks. I guess I have no more excuses, huh? icon_smile.gif

JK. I've been doing a pretty heavy cross training routine since 1 month out to keep me sane and in shape for my return but I have been avoiding bjj based on recs I've read on here about contact typr sports. Bottom line...I plan on starting back next week.

Thanks again for the advice.

BTW, did you see Rickson Gracie in the latest Hulk flic? I still think he could compete in the UFC but more likely i'm just projecting my own fantasy of a another late 40's bjj'r.

Sounds good. Dr. Feller is actually a pretty big bjj-buff, pretty cool; he actually mentioned doing work for a blackbelt fairly recently when I was @ his office for my consulation.

Hulk/Rickson -- ya, that was sweet. I picked up on those breathing exercises right away. icon_smile.gif He's certaintly a legend, and a tremendous, pure fighter. My old instructor knew him fairly well -- they happen to be the same age -- and said his tecnique was "perfect". Being a jacked beast helps, too. icon_smile.gif

-----------

Great topic Than, could agree more on the monumental effects that exercise has on oneself; mind, body, and spirit. While we don't have 100% total control on our rate of hair loss,hair appearance, etc it is reassuring to know that we do have total control on what we can do to exercise and lead a healthy lifestyle.