how to use minoxidil

skysurf

Hi guys,

I've been using Finasteride (5mg split quarterly) for almost a year now, and just started using minoxidil 5% last week. I had a question regarding minoxidil and it's proper usage, and was wondering if someone could advice....

First, it is my understanding that minox should be used with dry scalp (or atleast completely towel-dried after a shower), is that correct??

Second, I read somewhere earlier that some people use the minox and let it stay on for about 30mins - 1 hour, after which taking a shower and rinsing their head, mostly because they don't want to sleep with the minox still on their heads, getting on their pillows, and then their face, etc. Is that really necessary, because I've been using minox twice a day, and in the morning after I put it on I simply go to work and let it stay all day. Same at night, I apply it after showering and drying my hair and then go to bed without rinsing my head again. Does it really matter whether you wash it off 1-2 hours later or let it stay on the whole day/night??

Lastly, I noticed if I apply it and let it stay on, then there is this white residue on the scalp which is noticeable. Is there a way to avoid this, or am I simply applying too much??

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!!

I just recently restarted using rogaine again along with my proscar so I hope I can help..

Since most of us work and rogaine solution (not foam) is noticeable in the hair. I put in 1ml after work at 430pm and then again about 1hr before I go to bed (9ish). This way when I wake up and wash my hair it looks great and the scalp gets a rest during the day..Don't worry about it getting on your pillow etc, just try and keep your head elevated..

The white residue is just leftover junk from the solution. Be sure to wash the hair and scalp thoroughly the next morning to avoid a dry scalp/dandruff..

I recommend trying this route and see what ya think..I did this routine for 3+ years previously and had great results..

My Hair Loss Weblog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Victor Hasson

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Trim and Sky.

I started my treatment of Mino 5% 1 month ago and i have been wondering why that white stuff on the scalp was there and if it was normal. Apprently not the only one and good to know it is just residue. However, Trimox, when applying in the afternoon 4pm and again before going to bed 9pm do this first dosis get obtained by the scalp? I have expirienced thats it take up to 6hours before all mino5% is absorbed. I may use to much as i have a desent amount of residue on the scalp as well, and as i am trimmed preatty short it is notisable why i tend to put on some water whenever the residue appear.

Secondly i started yday on Finpecia(finasteride) as that is what i find safest due to the fact that occurence of any side effects will stop upon stopping taking the pills. Do you guys have especially experience with this?

brgds, Anders