I think you should see this

homer

This website has some of the pitfalls of HTs.

http://home1.gte.net/dschrode/newtransplant-tales.htm

one of the stories on that website-

I am 28 yrs old, I started losing my hair when I was 19 so my friends obviously bothered me nonstop. I stopped going out and was very insecure, I heard about this great doctor (yeah right) called Dr. Kassimir. He supposedly did Sly Stallone , Nick Cage (who by the way did have a lot of transplants , and still his hair is way to thin for me) etc. I went to this doctor when I was 22, I had 4 sessions (luckily of only 25-30 grafts each) every time I went back he told me how great it looked, meanwhile I was very dissatisfied. Fortunately my story has a very happy ending.

I started shaving my head 2 years ago , and I could not be happier. I do have 3 long scars on my head, which I was very insecure about, but believe me they are not as bad as WE THINK they are (not mine anyway). I am very happy, I meet plenty of women, and I actually joke about my scars now. I am lucky that my transplants were on my crown area. I only had 15 micros in the front, that are not noticeable when I shave them.

The plugs in the back are noticeable, but I have accepted them and the scars (seriously). Anyone that is considering shaving their head please feel free to e-mail me. I know what you guys are going through. I am so happy I could finally be myself. Bald is definitely in, and will continue to be until there is a NON SURGICAL solution.

Rogaine and Propecia? Why does Karl Malone shave his head if Rogaine is so good. None of that works. Anyone considering transplants, don't do it. It is NEVER like your real hair. If transplants were so good how come ANDRE AGGASI didn't do it , he has the money. By THE WAY who gets more women AGGASI or Pete Sampras, with all that hair.

My worst decision in my life was doing the transplants , I lost 6 years of the best years of my life because of it. My best decision was shaving it all off. I wish the scars were not there, but mine are not that bad. I get many compliments on my shaved head. I suggest everyone take a look at the actors BILLY ZANE web page, you guys tell me if he looks better with hair or with his head shaved. He is only losing a little hair and he is a perfect candidate, he looks better with the shaved head, as do I, unfortunately I didn't realize this when I was 20 years old.

Also anyone that goes to these transplant places, ASK TO SEE IN PERSON A COMPLETED PICTURE OF A STAGE 6 , no one will show you one because they are way too thin... And almost everyone becomes a stage 6.

Almost no one is ever satisfied with a hair transplant, they always go back for more sessions. I used to be friends with a guy that works for NU-HART, he had 4 sessions (2800 grafts) and his hair is still very thin. His brother shaves his head and gets much more pussy than him (if anyone does not believe me ask for Dennis at NU-HART, and ask him what his brother does with his hair.

If anyone that has done the surgery and is seriously considering shaving their head feel free to e-mail me at john2288@erols.com. Someone has got to let people know the truth, many of the pictures ARE tampered with, and many of us do this surgery out of desperation.

Bald is not that bad if you keep your hair very short, or shave it completely.

[This message was edited by homer on June 08, 2003 at 04:49 AM.]

This website has some of the pitfalls of HTs.

http://home1.gte.net/dschrode/newtransplant-tales.htm

one of the stories on that website-

I am 28 yrs old, I started losing my hair when I was 19 so my friends obviously bothered me nonstop. I stopped going out and was very insecure, I heard about this great doctor (yeah right) called Dr. Kassimir. He supposedly did Sly Stallone , Nick Cage (who by the way did have a lot of transplants , and still his hair is way to thin for me) etc. I went to this doctor when I was 22, I had 4 sessions (luckily of only 25-30 grafts each) every time I went back he told me how great it looked, meanwhile I was very dissatisfied. Fortunately my story has a very happy ending.

I started shaving my head 2 years ago , and I could not be happier. I do have 3 long scars on my head, which I was very insecure about, but believe me they are not as bad as WE THINK they are (not mine anyway). I am very happy, I meet plenty of women, and I actually joke about my scars now. I am lucky that my transplants were on my crown area. I only had 15 micros in the front, that are not noticeable when I shave them.

The plugs in the back are noticeable, but I have accepted them and the scars (seriously). Anyone that is considering shaving their head please feel free to e-mail me. I know what you guys are going through. I am so happy I could finally be myself. Bald is definitely in, and will continue to be until there is a NON SURGICAL solution.

Rogaine and Propecia? Why does Karl Malone shave his head if Rogaine is so good. None of that works. Anyone considering transplants, don't do it. It is NEVER like your real hair. If transplants were so good how come ANDRE AGGASI didn't do it , he has the money. By THE WAY who gets more women AGGASI or Pete Sampras, with all that hair.

My worst decision in my life was doing the transplants , I lost 6 years of the best years of my life because of it. My best decision was shaving it all off. I wish the scars were not there, but mine are not that bad. I get many compliments on my shaved head. I suggest everyone take a look at the actors BILLY ZANE web page, you guys tell me if he looks better with hair or with his head shaved. He is only losing a little hair and he is a perfect candidate, he looks better with the shaved head, as do I, unfortunately I didn't realize this when I was 20 years old.

Also anyone that goes to these transplant places, ASK TO SEE IN PERSON A COMPLETED PICTURE OF A STAGE 6 , no one will show you one because they are way too thin... And almost everyone becomes a stage 6.

Almost no one is ever satisfied with a hair transplant, they always go back for more sessions. I used to be friends with a guy that works for NU-HART, he had 4 sessions (2800 grafts) and his hair is still very thin. His brother shaves his head and gets much more pussy than him (if anyone does not believe me ask for Dennis at NU-HART, and ask him what his brother does with his hair.

If anyone that has done the surgery and is seriously considering shaving their head feel free to e-mail me at john2288@erols.com. Someone has got to let people know the truth, many of the pictures ARE tampered with, and many of us do this surgery out of desperation.

Bald is not that bad if you keep your hair very short, or shave it completely.

[This message was edited by homer on June 08, 2003 at 04:49 AM.]

HT is a risk, and like with most things in life, unless you take it you can't win. Thanks to this forum you can minimize that risk. You won't find any complaints on that link about any docs that are recommended over and over on this forum by regular posters. If you've done your research you will be confident in your results. I know there's more to it, but people who ended up with bad results, are partially at fault themselves. Nobody forced them to get an HT - nobody was stopping them from doing their research. I spent a year learning about the whole process, and in the end decided to go to another country to have the procedure done - you shouldn't make any compromises when it comes to something that importnat. One of the posters on the website you provide says:

"If you are thinking about a transplant, please just forget about it!!!!!"

He should say:

"If you are thinking about a transplant, WITHOUT DOING YOUR RESEARCH FIRST, please just forget about it!!!!!

I am currently considering some other plastic surgeries, but am smart enough to know that picking the first doc from a directory is not the way to do it, because you may end up going to equivalent of Bosley's. If you have enough money for an HT, you should have enough money to get a comp with internet connection, and do things right.

You can't blame everything on the 'evil' docs - part of the fault lies with you for not doing your hw.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

I am not scare mongering here but I think it is important to hear both sides of the argument, so here is another tale-

Hi Dave,

I wanted to say thank you for posting these letters in regard to hair transplantation. I can personally relate to everything that you guys have gone through, for I am living with the ramifications of my hasty decision to endure hair transplants as well. I am somewhat comforted in the knowledge that I am not the only one who is regretfully living through this nightmare, and I appreciate you all sharing your experiences.

I was 19 years old when I started losing my hair. At the time, it was a humiliating and frightening experience that I thought about day and night. I was so traumatized by the thought of going bald, that while all of my friends were saving money for cars, I was saving my money for hair transplants. Yes! All I wanted to do was erase the tragic consequence of testosterone and conquer the enemy that left so many men feeling stripped and defeated. At 19, I believed that I knew everything, and I was determined to carry out my wish for a full head of hair no matter what the cost...

After months of religiously saving the money needed for the damned procedure, I made the appointment for consultation and was accepted as the 'perfect' candidate immediately. How any more perfect could I have been, a young guy so terrified by his hair loss that he was standing in front of this money hungry doctor with handfuls of cash just begging to be sliced and diced in hopes of regaining his lost sense of security by regaining his hair. I quickly scheduled the fateful procedure and could hardly wait for

the day to come. I just knew that when I walked out of that office, I was walking into a new and complete life...

Immediately after the procedure, I though everything was great. At the age of 20, I still had plenty of hair to cover up the unsightly and sub-standard work done by that incompetent butcher that the US board of medicine calls a doctor. Although I was aware of the differences between the the 'new' hair and the 'old' hair, I was able to be confident due to the density of my remaining hair. However, as time progressed, my hair-line regressed, and that is where my nightmare begins...

I am now almost 26 years old and as with most individuals, age has brought me wisdom and a new level of confidence in myself. I am now completely comfortable with the fact that I am going bald, and I now shave the unsightly grafts that were implanted at the front of my scalp and keep my hair very short all over. I want so badly to shave my head completely, how awesome it would feel to get rid of all the hair that I have remained a

captive to all my life. I am not the most unattractive guy in the world, and I have been asked countless times why I don't just shave it all off. I always get this sick feeling in my gut every time I think about the scars (two really thick scars that go nearly ear to ear across the back of my scalp) that keep preventing me from doing just that. These scars are of course in addition to the ones left by the plugs of hair inserted into my scalp across the front of my hair-line. All I want more than anything is to erase the scars left by the maniacal butcher that continue to remind me of my past mistakes and leave me self-conscious on a daily basis. If only I could now have the perfect bald head that would have once been a reality, I would indeed be happy...

If my letter is being read by anyone contemplating rather or not to go through with hair transplantation, I highly recommend that you DO NOT DO IT! It has by far been the worst mistake of my life and not a day goes by that I do not regret it whole-heartedly! Unfortunately, I will be left to deal with the scars forever, not only physically, but socially and emotionally as well...

xxxxxx

there are a couple problems here:

Doesn't seem like the guy was on any kind of medication. His hairloss was progressing. He got a mini (or maybe even a micro-graft) transplant. He went with strip and not FUE. Not all this is his fault - because it looks like he had it done 7-8 years ago, and none of the things I just mentioned were wide-spread back then . (FUE still isn't).

With modern techniques, you won't end up with plugginess (FUE FUs), or scars in the back. In my opinion the biggest risk one takes when getting an HT is the fact that one can continue to lose hair. I know that if it was likely for me to go to NW5-NW7 - I'd think twice about having anything done.

On the other hand - if you go to the first doctor you find in a phone book/internet, then don't expect great resuts.

Also, I don't think it was wise for the guy to get an HT at 20, when he was rapidly losing hair at 19. He should've probably waited a few years, give propecia a chance, and then go for a mega strip session (at a good, recommended doc), followed by subsequent FUE touch-up sessions. Again - not his fault in this case - I don't think propecia was available back then.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Homer, you do bring up some good points. I am a perfect example of getting a HT at a relatively young age and it not looking bad at first because I had some existing hair to hide the hairline. Then that fell out and was left with a pretty ugly mini/supposed micro hairline. I also wasn't on medication at the time. But if you go to a great doc and take medication to help slow down your hairloss, you can have good results. Transplants with a good doc today are light years ahead of where they were 10 years ago.

Secondly...

"If transplants were so good how come ANDRE AGGASI didn't do it, he has the money".

I hate the "why didn't (fill in the blank with bald rich person/celebrity) get a transplant" argument. So are you saying that it's impossible to get a good HT because Andre Agassi doesn't have one?? Perhaps he doesn't mind being bald. Some men don't. But I know for a fact Jerry Jones (Cowboys owner) had one, and he's pretty darn rich. Maybe if Agassi walked in to a top notch doc's office and was shown how good a modern HT can look, he would consider it. But the vast majority of people who don't do internet research still think the only end result is "plugs" because people only notice bad HT's.

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

I simply think that a well-done HT can work a small miracle for some people. Others are certainly better off shaving their heads.

I shaved my head too, and it looked bad with my face and people let me know it.

Once again: not every man looks good shaved, while others look quite good.

You've got to try shaving, IMO, before surgery.

If you go into surgery, realize that you are not the victim in all this. You are the survivor who figured out what was right for you. You don't go out of fear, but because you are making an honest effort to "right a wrong" after all else failed.

I continue to be very, very happy with my HT result. I don't regret my decision for a second, nor the choices I made.

I still recognize, however, that my choices are just that: mine. They may not be right for others.

Though I can say in no uncertain fashion that I feel my life is better now, I still have problems and challenges to tackle. I just now feel that I will tackle them -- that they will never overwhelm me.

Maybe the HT just gave me a little edge.

Others may gain that edge by shaving their heads: more power to them! I hope it works because I wish it had worked for me.

It is funny that while I had crappy hair, I'd get teased once in a while about it, but in general, people don't confront you about it or speak openly nor honestly about it. Don't kid yourself, that is because they feel badly for you. Fun, huh? Recently, and I can hardly believe that this is coincidence, I have been engaged in several conversations (that I didn't start) of the topic "some people/faces just need hair".

Yep, just what I thought. Doesn't mean that if you "need hair" for your looks, you MUST get an HT. Do what you want, but certainly, an HT benefits some quite greatly.

To each his own.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Good post, vocor. In regards to shaving, everyone's situation is different depending on their height, weight, shape of their face, and size of their noggin. A 5'8 bald guy with a rounded face (i.e. Jason ALexander "Costanza") probably won't look good with a shaved head.

Some guys can pull it off, some can't.

I am not saying that their are not HT horror stories, but be careful to take every story as truth. Many have an agenda, such as wig salesman. icon_wink.gif