The scoop on ketoconazole

Here is some good info on it !! This is the stuff you find in Nizoral and Revita , both over the counter

Ketokonazole is an antifungal medication and is significant for those combating hair loss for a couple of reasons. First, ketoconazole's action as an antifungal agent reduces scalp irritation caused by fungal colonization or infection. The reduction of the inflammatory process that occurs in male pattern alopecia is crucial. Second, ketoconazole has been shown in many studies to physiologically have an anti-androgenic (anti-DHT) effect.

On March 04, 2001, at the American Academy of Dermatology Meeting in Washington DC, scientists presented the findings of a study done on 1% ketoconazole shampoo which has good news for hair loss sufferers. It has long been known that 2% prescription ketoconazole has beneficial effects on Androgenic Alopecia (MPB). It however has been unclear whether the same benefits can be obtained by using the non-prescription 1% version.

In the study presented, one hundred male volunteers with mild to moderate dandruff and somewhat oily scalp, were using, in a double-blind fashion, either a 1% ketoconazole shampoo or a 1% zinc pyrithione shampoo, 2-3 times a week for 6 months.

Analysis of the different parameters set up in the study shows that the hair diameter gradually increased with ketoconazole use (+8.46%) over a 6 month period, whereas the diameter showed a trend to decrease with zinc pyrithione use over the same period (-2.28%). The sebum excretion rate was reduced with ketoconazole (-6.54%) while it increased with zinc pyrithione (+8.2%) over the same period of time. The number of hair shed over a 24-hour period was reduced by 16.46% with ketoconazole and 6.02% with zinc pyrithione after 6 months. Finally, the percentage of hairs in anagen phase increased by 6.4% during the study time.

The results are similar to a previous study done on 2% prescription strength Ketokonazole where it was shown that use of 2% ketoconazol yielded a 7% average increase in hair shaft diameter similar to what was achieved by the control group using 2% Minoxidil and a non-medicated shampoo.

This research clearly indicates that using 1% or 2% ketoconazole 2-3 times per week, will have positive effects on hair growth as well as controlling dandruff.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Here is some good info on it !! This is the stuff you find in Nizoral and Revita , both over the counter

Ketokonazole is an antifungal medication and is significant for those combating hair loss for a couple of reasons. First, ketoconazole's action as an antifungal agent reduces scalp irritation caused by fungal colonization or infection. The reduction of the inflammatory process that occurs in male pattern alopecia is crucial. Second, ketoconazole has been shown in many studies to physiologically have an anti-androgenic (anti-DHT) effect.

On March 04, 2001, at the American Academy of Dermatology Meeting in Washington DC, scientists presented the findings of a study done on 1% ketoconazole shampoo which has good news for hair loss sufferers. It has long been known that 2% prescription ketoconazole has beneficial effects on Androgenic Alopecia (MPB). It however has been unclear whether the same benefits can be obtained by using the non-prescription 1% version.

In the study presented, one hundred male volunteers with mild to moderate dandruff and somewhat oily scalp, were using, in a double-blind fashion, either a 1% ketoconazole shampoo or a 1% zinc pyrithione shampoo, 2-3 times a week for 6 months.

Analysis of the different parameters set up in the study shows that the hair diameter gradually increased with ketoconazole use (+8.46%) over a 6 month period, whereas the diameter showed a trend to decrease with zinc pyrithione use over the same period (-2.28%). The sebum excretion rate was reduced with ketoconazole (-6.54%) while it increased with zinc pyrithione (+8.2%) over the same period of time. The number of hair shed over a 24-hour period was reduced by 16.46% with ketoconazole and 6.02% with zinc pyrithione after 6 months. Finally, the percentage of hairs in anagen phase increased by 6.4% during the study time.

The results are similar to a previous study done on 2% prescription strength Ketokonazole where it was shown that use of 2% ketoconazol yielded a 7% average increase in hair shaft diameter similar to what was achieved by the control group using 2% Minoxidil and a non-medicated shampoo.

This research clearly indicates that using 1% or 2% ketoconazole 2-3 times per week, will have positive effects on hair growth as well as controlling dandruff.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Good information Mrjb,

I have seen this study before. The science and research does provide evidence that it can have positive effects on hair growth.

What I'm saying below does not dispute what was just said...just opening up for discussion:

I wonder though, how many people would really benefit from using a Ketokonazole product as their ONLY means of fighting hair loss.

It seems that even combining finasteride, minoxodil, and ketokonzaole, one still has only a fighting chance to minimize/stop hair loss (never a guarantee), and a much smaller chance of regrowing any hair.

It is nice to know, however, that this can be considered as an option - especially for those who have adverse effects with finasteride or minoxodil.

Bill

I wonder whether this study also says something (negative) about using py-zinc as well?

That thinning rate for the py-zinc users sounds a little sharp. And at least in the summary above, the testers were referred to as having dandruff symptoms, but they weren't specifically referred to as MPB sufferers.

--------------------------------------------------

Good Point MD

Regarding Bill, maybe Ket would provide some marginal difference but hell. Let's just use all of the BIG 3 and have maximum results ( of course personally I don't use Minoxidil)

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

The only thing I use at this point is finasteride. Until something that can be found that will regrow hair from a bald scalp (data suggests the hair follicles shrinks significantly but never truly dies), I'm not going to bother. Finasteride is helping me maintain the hair below the crown - everything else at this point is pretty much gone (other than the transplanted hairs)

Bill

I use the Nizoral 1% a couple of times a week & find that it seems to keep my scalp pretty clean, & it seems to make it cleaner than any of the other shampoos I have tried, including the H&S. Any positive effects it may have on my hair loss is a bonus.

I also use the quartered Proscar daily in lieu of the Propecia. I just can't seem to get motivated to use the minoxodil though.