Hairline Getting Worse with Propecia!!!

GotHair

Has anyone experienced a worsening hair line with propecia? My left temple seems to be thinning and receding badly after 10months on propecia. I already have fine hair, but I'm getting a little worried that my MPB is irreversible. Any suggestions and help is greatly appreciated. This is my first time on your forum. Also, I recently purchased the foam to try it out, but worried about the shedding. Thank you!!!

Even with the receding/shedding temple, have you heard of positive results after a year? I have very fine hair anyway, so a small shed can seem very large. I am worried that I have been on it for almost a year now with no positive results on the left side. I am praying that it is just a shedding phase. I appreciate your response!!!

I have not tried propecia yet, but from my understanding you should have positive results by the 12 month mark; yet one can expect to get NEW hair growth for the first 24 months, then it's effects taper off and it serves to "maintain" your hair...

Im not certain about how long the "shedding" phase lasts, but 10 months sounds pretty long.

From my understanding, the shedding phase is in the begining (i.e. first couple of months)...

are you ONLY shedding at your temples?

Propecia is primarily effective in the crown area with some effectiveness in the vertex by the way.

So I would personally assume that the fact that you are thinning in your temple region alone does not indicate that propecia is or is not working for you AT ALL...

I am shedding/receding on my left temple only. Everywhere else is fine....that is why I am confused. I started taking it when I noticed a small recession on my left temple. My hair is really fine to begin with, so any shedding is going to be very noticeable. I'm hoping it works and that I'm just paranoid. I have deep hairlines to begin with and have looked like I was going bald in high school, but stayed the same for 10 years. Now I'm 28 and noticing some thinning/recession on the left side. If you are not on Propecia, than what do you use to battle MPB?

Originally posted by GotHair:

If you are not on Propecia, than what do you use to battle MPB?

I was rubbing rogaine on my testes to battle the DHT but it didn't work.

Oh, so your hair loss *seems* to be limited to your temples?

Did you know that propecia is most effective in the crown/vertex and not the hair line/temples?

I too had a 'v' shape widows peak for years

and I too am 28

BUT

that 'v' keeps getting more and more narrow

and will soon look like an 'l'...

hopefully yours will stay intact for many more years. doesn't sound too bad yet. you could get a ht to adress the hair line if it gets worse.

I tried Rogaine for about a week, but didn't think it was worth the hassle. Haven't given meds a shot yet, by the way. Probably will if/when I get a ht...

DHT_Warrior.jpeg.80ffe3175cc04d3c0e62dc163e775519.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

gothair,

I experienced the exact same thing as you when I started taking propecia. shedding and thinning on the leftside. Yes it looked retarded.

However, GOOD NEWS is that that hair came back

and the density did eventually return. it did take quite some time though

Justgrow,

Thank you for your response. How long did it take you before it started coming back? I just started the foam and I am worried about additional shedding. I have fine hair and shedding is very noticeable.

wow what a trip out!

I was just looking at my temples, 2 months in on propecia, and the left hand side temple is shedding and looks weird

Its quite disturbing

I feel so much thinner now on top - wondering when this is all just going to end icon_frown.gif

I have been on it for 10 months and have noticed some shedding on the top. Now the hairline is receding. I started using the foam a couple of days ago and noticed more shedding. I am going to stick with it and hopefully turn it around. Everything I have read says to stick with the program and results will follow in time. We can only hope for the best.