Growth at 2 months

I have been a semi-faithful reader of the posts on this site. I had my HT done on the 6th of March 1750 grafts to the front sides. While there are some concerns I have about my choice of Dr and number of grafts, I am shocked to have seen the results thus far. I was fully expecting nothing at all until about the 4 month mark and to my surprise...I started getting the in-grown hairs and resulting hair growth starting at the 8 week mark. It has been pretty steady in the last few weeks and the growth is even noticable from a short distance now. Is this unusual or did I just have conservative expectations from some of the slower growth cases on this site?

I have been a semi-faithful reader of the posts on this site. I had my HT done on the 6th of March 1750 grafts to the front sides. While there are some concerns I have about my choice of Dr and number of grafts, I am shocked to have seen the results thus far. I was fully expecting nothing at all until about the 4 month mark and to my surprise...I started getting the in-grown hairs and resulting hair growth starting at the 8 week mark. It has been pretty steady in the last few weeks and the growth is even noticable from a short distance now. Is this unusual or did I just have conservative expectations from some of the slower growth cases on this site?

ahback9,

Welcome to our community.

Some people do indeed start growing their newly transplanted hairs earlier than others. I'm not surprised by the fact that you had ingrown hairs at 8 weeks and are already seeing some growth. However...it's not typical...most people do start more around the 3 to 4 month range. So count your blessings icon_wink.gif.

Who was your doctor? Do you have any pictures you can share with us? Before pictures? Immediately post op pictures? Pictures of the beginnings of new growth for you?

This is only the beginning...

Bill

Hi A back

Yes, I am at 2 months and have been experiencing a bit of growth myself. Half of my grafts did not fall out so I have stubble in addition to the in growing hairs. in addition, I feel the tingling on my head of the hairs poking through the surface. Still, it will take a year- 14 months for full results

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

ahback9 and Mrjb,

Have either of you two been taking Propecia or using Minoxidil?

TomA

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

Congrats to both of you on the early growth.

Yes, 2 months is really pretty early to have growth. Kind of hard to establish an average for growth as people vary so often, but it seems to me 3-4 months is likely an average.

It's a bit of a roller coaster ride............hang on!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by ahback9:

...Is this unusual or did I just have conservative expectations from some of the slower growth cases on this site?

I'm not really sure? I recall being very pleased with how much hair remaining when I was 2 months post-op and I really thought I was one of the lucky ones. In my case I ended up losing most of the transplanted hair between months 2 & 3. I would estimate that I held onto maybe 10-20% of the transplanted hairs.

At this point (4.5 months postop) I would say I'm probably a bit better than where I was at 2 months post op. While it is certainly true that progress is highly individual, it also seems true that certain sweeping generalities do seem to hold true as well. With a very small exception, I have the impression that most folks eventually lose most of their transplanted hairs.

I also recall a thread here about the relationship between new growth vs. transplanted hair lost. IIRC the theory was "the sooner the hair is lost, the sooner it will regrow".

I hope you are one of the lucky ones, but if you do end up losing more of your transplanted hair during the next month, realize that this is normal and it will grow back (assuming qualified surgeon, of course). There's a reason most folks here refer to months 2 and 3 (and sometimes 4) as the doldrums.

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

I feel the tingling on my head of the hairs poking through the surface

Jobi, I am also experencing that feeling , it's like you can feel the hair growing!

Hi

I 've been on Propecia for 7 years..The bottom line is wait until 12 -14 months and then everything will run it's course.. All the past won't matter..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

ahback9

ahback9: Let us know how things turn out during the next couple months. You can be sure we're all highly interested in reading about your own personal experience!

By the way, we would certainly appreciate it if you would share more information with us. Who was your doctor? How many grafts/hairs did you have transplanted? Any pictures you might be able to share?

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

Middleson: I went into this thing pretty blind and chose a HC for Men (OOPS) office in Houston (Dr McLellan 1750 GRafts). I definitely think that I would have been better off had I known about the info on this site and researched a bit more but...I can't do anything about it now icon_smile.gif Based on what I have read, I think that I needed to get more grafts from my surgery to cover the area. WIll wait and see what happens in another 12 months. As for the transplanted hairs vs. new growth....In my case, most of my transplanted hairs are gone. THe growth I am referring to is a bunch of long wispy hairs popping up in a random spots. I have a bunch of in-grown acne type blemishes that come up each day and go away as the hair breaks through. As for the pictures...I am trying but getting my digital to get focused while I take my own picture; it is a task I have not mastered.

TomA: I have been taking PRopecia for about 5 months. I had a bunch of shedding that just now seems to have leveled out. I have less hair now than when I started!! No Minoxidil for me.