Transplant where there is hair???

Question... I plan on getting a hair transplant in the balding and thinning areas on my head but is it possible to get hair transplanted to other parts of my head where hair appears to be normal? The reason Im asking is that i would like to avoid losing hair behind the transplanted hair. I hope you all understand what im trying to say. Thanks

Question... I plan on getting a hair transplant in the balding and thinning areas on my head but is it possible to get hair transplanted to other parts of my head where hair appears to be normal? The reason Im asking is that i would like to avoid losing hair behind the transplanted hair. I hope you all understand what im trying to say. Thanks

Yes, but I believe that there is additional risk of transection of native hair. Have a sit-down with one of the coalition docs and they should be able to tell you.

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

Goldstar,

It is not advisable to transplant hair where you are not currently experiencing hair loss. Additionally, getting a hair transplant is not a cure for hair loss - in fact, transplanting into dense native hair could send those hairs destined for miniaturization into an early grave.

The best advice to help you keep the native hair you have it to get on finasteride and/or minoxodil - the two FDA approved medications for hair loss.

Best wishes,

Bill

It is very common to graft through thinning areas to increase density. There is a risk of shock loss, of course, but experienced hair surgeons know how to negotiate these risks.

Now, if you are thinking about preemptively grafting an area of the scalp that has yet to succumb to the effects of patterned hair loss, I would implore you not to. Furthermore, I would implore you to avoid any physician that would suggest such a strategy. It is VERY risky, and I cannot think of a situation in which such an approach is justifiable.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.