age, hairloss, circumstances and self image

you know I think how we feel about our hairloss has alot to do with our circumstances and how the ones that we love relate to it and then, how we feel about it.

A young guy, say 20's, single, with girlfriends on and off will be very affected by hairloss. Like a male lion losing his mane, you gotta feel for young hairloss sufferers. I started losing hair at 26, but guys who lose it in their late teens, well i just hope they find this website.

Then you have the guy in his 30s, married with a kid or two, wife loves him even if he is losing hair. He dosnt like the hairloss but he's not in bad shape and if his wife tells him she dosnt care and they have a great marriage, well , no need to spend 1000s on hair.

So you hit 40s. You may be divorced by now, in which case your hairloss is an issue becz it affects your confidence alot and now youre looking for a lady.....or you may still be married, put on a few pounds, your crown or front is gone but work and kids and life go on. i mean what can you do about the hairloss...wife never mentions it and now you dont even think about alot.

suddenly your in your early or mid or late 40s or 50s....or even your sixties. your wife had had a mid life crisis ( an excuse to pretend shes still 20 again) or run off with your best friend...we've seen it happen time and again... and its over...and youre on your own...and looking for another lady.....

my point!! our circumstances affect how we feel about our baldness....A 30 or 40 or 50 year old happily married guy with a loving wife who dosnt care about his baldness wont feel that his baldness is a threat to his relationship.

But any single guy looking for a lady is self conscious about his appearance and his hair is an issue. So hairloss is not just a big thing for 20 year olds. Its a big thing across the age groups cz it severely affects our appearance hence our self confidence....

I know some happily married guys hate their baldness, and if theres spare money you can fix it but often there isnt a spare 10 to 20 thousand for that.

I'm 55, divorced 4 years ago and after that I met a lady who dosnt care about my hairloss but its been a issue for me since my divorce so i did something about it...and Im happy i did. 12 grand well spent I reckon. cheers

sunny

For me, my objection to hair loss is not that I think it will bother other people, but that it bothers me. Even if women, co-workers, and other important people in my life don't mind it, I still mind it, and that matters more.

That said, even I can't say that circumstances don't matter. There are things more valuable than hair.

For the right amount of money, the right girl, etc., I would gladly agree to become a NW7 by age 30.

If all men were NW6 by age 20, and it was normal, it wouldnt bother us would it. Because we would look just like everyone else....level playing field. Or if you were extremely handsome and looked awesome with a shaved head and you knew it, and beautiful girls were falling all over you wanting you to date them...would the hairloss bother you. I say no it wouldnt.

We hate our hair loss because it makes us look older, less attractive, more self concious of our appearance, with a corresponding loss of self confidence. This is because we care about what others think of our presentation and appearance. And we care more or less depending on our circumstances. 23 year old single guys care more than 50 year old married men. Both still care but the degree depends on the circumstances and how much the hairloss affects us in those circumstances.A recently divorced 50 yo will care more than a married 50yo cz now hes looking for a lady. maybe a 60 yo man, single and looking for a nice lady cares more than a 35 yo married man whos happy with his life. just my thoughts

sunny

how ve u been mate sunny? icon_smile.gif i m all scheduled for end may surgery so wish me luck!

ur email could not ve been more true but i agree with marvin too.

for me, i m happily married with a kid and nobody says anything cos my condition is at least well hidden with dermatch and concealers... but every night is like cinderella. when the clock ticks, u r back to square 1. for me, its my own issue, nothing to do with others at all...

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Hey WB, end of may is not that far away....very exciting time for you. And yeh best of luck with the HT with a great doc.

For me I was married with kids too til about 5 years ago. I never worried a whole lot about my hair loss cz my wife and family didnt. but after the split I just decided it was something to do for me and woulod help my overall confidence after a knock. However, if I lived on a desert island on my own I reckon i wouldnt have done it....what point would there be to do it....

what Im trying to say my post is that deepdown its what we feel that other people think about us that affects how we feel about our hair.Living alone on an island theres no-one around so no need to worry about the hair.

Anyways Im doing ok. growth is slow but things are happening. still getting the odd pimple. This weekend is 4 months so I'll post some pics.

Im also in great shape right now. dropped 12 pounds in 6 weeks, been hitting it hard at the gym and the 6 pack and muscular look is back, so Im feeling pretty good.....cheers

Sunny

Originally posted by Sunnycoastman:

If all men were NW6 by age 20, and it was normal, it wouldnt bother us would it. Because we would look just like everyone else....level playing field.

All people get wrinkles and it DOES seem to bother many people...

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Marvin:
Originally posted by Sunnycoastman:

If all men were NW6 by age 20, and it was normal, it wouldnt bother us would it. Because we would look just like everyone else....level playing field.

All people get wrinkles and it DOES seem to bother many people...

This seems to be another social stigma associated with being 'old'

If everyone was born with wrinkles, nobody would care.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!