Shockloss

Hello everybody!

My question is how many procent of hair that I still have I am going to lose in case of shockloss after HT surgery??? I know it vary but maby you can give me some advice.

Thank you.

Hello everybody!

My question is how many procent of hair that I still have I am going to lose in case of shockloss after HT surgery??? I know it vary but maby you can give me some advice.

Thank you.

Peterp,

There is no way to predict this unfortunately. But don't confuse losing the transplanted hairs with shockloss. Most of the transplanted hairs from this surgery will fall out and start regrowing between 3-5 months. Shockloss is when native hair or previously existing hair falls out as a result of trauma from the surgery. The good news is, this hair typically returns unless the hair is miniaturized and then it may not (called permanent shockloss).

Who was your doctor? How many grafts did you get? Any pictures?

Bill

Peter,

From your pics and degree of hairloss, I don't think you need to worry about shockloss in the recipient area. The cosmetic outcome of an HT would far outweight any potential impact from shockloss. Diffuse thinners like myself should be more worried about recipient area shockloss.

As for shockloss on the donor area, from my research and from what doctors have told me, this is rare on a virgin scalp with average to good laxity. So unless you have a really tight scalp, don't think you need to worry about that also.

All of the above assumes that you pick a well-respected doc.

When I started my research on HT, I was REALLY scared about permanent shockloss (in recipient and donor area). But when I discussed shockloss with several coalition doctors during my consultations, I got the sense from them that permanent shockloss was something of a non-issue these days... as if it was an uncommon occurence.

What did the docs the you consulted with say about your potential for shockloss?

RP

Thank you for your respond guys. I feel lot better now. I do have quite bit of my native hair and I was affraid abuot loosig them after HT, but if it is not pernament I am not worry anymore.

Bill.

I didn't have HT done yet but I am going to do it with Dr. Allan Feller since I found so much good thinks about him at this site. I need about 3000 grafts.

Thank for your opinion.

well from my experience, I am 5 months post op- and I would say at this point I have gotten 80% of native hair back (what a relieve). Still waiting on to see the benefit of hair transplant- nothing there (i would say maybe 5% of growth of new hair).

Too many factors to consider.

The surgeons skills.

The patients hair loss pattern.

The density desired.

That being said, feller is a top choice.

Permanent shock loss can also be caused by transection of native hairs during the incision making process for the new grafts. Transection occurs when the incision instrument, be it a needle or blade, makes an incision that is not parallel in angle and direction to the native hair in the immediate vicinity of said incision. This is minimized also by shaving the recipient area and by finding a top doc that knows what he is doing.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Inflamation and dermatitis/ foliculitis as a result of surgery are also factors.

Also doesn't or isn't the Ex-spurt doctor responsible for that evaluation?

Lets open the closet guys.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

That depends on the case. I had it bad after surgery. The Derm I went to advised me to goto an ethical H/T Dr.. He said I was suffering from folliculitis, seboriac derm and severe tellogen effluvium he also shot cortisone into the lumps on my head where my hair was. When I confronted the perp ( First Dr.)about this he responded "did he do a biopsy"

I am still treating it.

Planting foreign annuals into your perrenials is extremely risky. Especially if the gardener is on crack. : )

It doesn't effect the grafts but it kills your existing hair which makes you look like a fool real quick.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Permanent shock loss can also be caused by transection of native hairs during the incision making process for the new grafts. Transection occurs when the incision instrument, be it a needle or blade, makes an incision that is not parallel in angle and direction to the native hair in the immediate vicinity of said incision. This is minimized also by shaving the recipient area and by finding a top doc that knows what he is doing.

Good statement Joe. Sometimes I think we fail to mention this because this isn't typical with top physicians, but there are still many out there, using older technologies and techniques, and being less experienced may indeed transect hair follicles. Yet another reason why selecting a top clinic is vital to a successful hair transplant.

Bill