So I started using Fincar (the generic Proscar) 1/4 pill every other day. Sometimes I think that when I cut the pill I'm a little bit off and that it may not be exactly 1/4. Is it bad if you take more or less than 1 mg of finasteride at a time?? If you're not getting the 1 mg every other day will this not be as beneficial even if you are getting the correct amount in say a given week?

And also, when will someone with minimal receding but some diffuse thinning of the hair begin to see results?? I have been using it for about 2 and a half weeks now and I can't decide if I'm seeing any results or not. - Thanks

So I started using Fincar (the generic Proscar) 1/4 pill every other day. Sometimes I think that when I cut the pill I'm a little bit off and that it may not be exactly 1/4. Is it bad if you take more or less than 1 mg of finasteride at a time?? If you're not getting the 1 mg every other day will this not be as beneficial even if you are getting the correct amount in say a given week?

And also, when will someone with minimal receding but some diffuse thinning of the hair begin to see results?? I have been using it for about 2 and a half weeks now and I can't decide if I'm seeing any results or not. - Thanks

BobbySand,

I take Proscar quartered every other day. As long as your close to 1mg on the dose, it shouldn't matter. I don't have the research link handy but I believe Fin is effective at a dose far less than even the 1mg dose.

As for results..........you may not like hearing this but it can take up to 1 year to make that determination. Personally, I believe I started to see regrowth from Fin in the hairline around 6 weeks to 2 months, but I've heard for others it can take much longer so stay with it.

The best way to determine progress is by documenting with pics on a monthly or bi-monthly basis.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.