Hairline design

I was thinking this morning how natural my hairline looks to my original one .. THEN I remembered Dr. True asked for a couple pics of my orginal hairline ( when I was younger) . No doubt this was a good idea. Anyone else had their doc require this pre surgery ??

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I was thinking this morning how natural my hairline looks to my original one .. THEN I remembered Dr. True asked for a couple pics of my orginal hairline ( when I was younger) . No doubt this was a good idea. Anyone else had their doc require this pre surgery ??

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mrjb,

In my case, I already had an established hairline (though thin) to work with so my first hair transplant physician (Dr. Katz) went from that.

This is indeed a good idea yet at the same time, some hair transplant patients might want to deviate from their original hairline. Maybe they didn't like it!

I'll be curious to hear additional feedback on this.

Bill

Good points

I like the picture idea because then you really can see it.The more information the better in my opinion

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Its good information to have and look at for curiosity. Depending on the age of the patient and norwood stage, we generally have a good idea of where the hairline was. However, that may not necessarily be where it should be, especially in advanced stages like the patient below:

Adavanced Norwood stage

During the consultation, I generally ask patients to draw where they would like the hair line to be. I then determine if it is appropriate based on the patients age, future expected loss, donor density and scalp hair characteristics to give the most natural and dense results. I do use photos when a patient uses reference to "getting his hair back the way it used to be".

Other patients below have different concepts of where there new hairline should be.

russ howard

New Real Hair Club Member

Posted November 30, 2004 08:24 AM Hide Post

Firstimer,

Here's a different approach to designing a hairline that I found worked well for me.

Weeks prior to my procedure I made cut-outs from light brown posterpaper to replicate different hairline shapes and placed them on my forehead.This enabled me to see my face and "hairline" from different angles in the mirror. I kept experimenting until I found the one that best complimented my face and seemed age appropriate. I didn't want the hairline I had in my 20's or 30's but one that suited my face now (50's).

The morning of my surgery when Dr. Mejia traced the outline for my hairline, I was more than confident that this was exactly how I wanted it to look, no indecision, no second guessing...after all, I wanted it to be right the first time.

As it turns out... the experiment paid off! Had I gone with the original designs that were shetched on my head in prior consultations, I would not have had the desired results...Best of luck!

Interesting.

I didn't look at any pics before I had the job done....it would've have hurt if i did.

After I returned home(post-op) a buddy of mine gave me the idea to look at old pics.

I found some from when I was around 28 yrs. old(12 yrs ago)

Looking at what Dr.Epstein and I agreed was a good placement for the new hairline was fine.

I figure If all grows in as planned my hairline will easily be what I had in those old pics....maybe a little more.

I think alot of these docs would rather go a bit conservative rather than over the top.

You can always add a bit of hairline plus add overall density in a possible 2nd procedure.

I figure if you go to aggressive...your stuck with it.

It's only my opinion and I know alot of guys say get as much as you can the first time.

I don't know...i think that's all up to the individual.

Mrjb is happy with his results...he did it in three jobs....that's cool.

I have no problem with a 2nd job if it's needed.

I figure I've been thinning for fifteen years...if it takes two years/2 jobs to get it perfect...so be it.

Only my opinion..i figure with the consevative approach you can't get hurt.

More_hair

I do agree try to get as many grafts as possible in as few surgeries as you can IF you are not subject to certain restraint such as progressive loss, donor limits, or cannot shave your head.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!