How "thinning" hair corresponds to the Norwood scale..?

For me, e.g., my actual hairline is pretty much intact; I don't have any "bald spots" really, not even in my crown...however, I have pretty badly thinned out hair throughout my frontal region...I'd say the first 1/3rd of my scalp.

I've tried determining my Norwood level by looking at the typical descriptions and can't really come to a conclusion. I don't ever recall a doctor giving me a NW classification either. I'm still trying to get pics onto my PC, but, in the meantime, does anyone have any info about how to classify cases like what I described...?

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

For me, e.g., my actual hairline is pretty much intact; I don't have any "bald spots" really, not even in my crown...however, I have pretty badly thinned out hair throughout my frontal region...I'd say the first 1/3rd of my scalp.

I've tried determining my Norwood level by looking at the typical descriptions and can't really come to a conclusion. I don't ever recall a doctor giving me a NW classification either. I'm still trying to get pics onto my PC, but, in the meantime, does anyone have any info about how to classify cases like what I described...?

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

I'm not great at the classification system either but I would say that you are probably a 4a.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Thx -- wow, I wasn't even fully aware of the "Varient" Norwood classifications....Tough to say for sure without doing a thorough self-examination (or doing another online consult), but I think I'm a fresh IIIa....10months or so ago I'd hav said I'm a IIa.

Gotta do some research on this, see what exactly I'm dealing with! Come to think of it, I think a surgeon said I was a _a, but I'm generally so anxious during meatings with doctors a lot of info slips past me....need to create check-lists before and write things down.

-----------

Don't quote me on anything. Personally I believe the scale is OK for discussions with people but either way you need to have a consult in person to get a better idea of what and where you really are.

You might very well be a NW3a or less?? Either way it sounds like it is starting to leave you unfortunately and you are not thrilled about it.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hello everyone,

One thing that we have to remember is that the norwood scale is a guide to be used to determine approximately our level of hair loss. It is not a perfect guide, but it certainly does a pretty good job IMO.

These are the typical patterns one might follow, but ultimately, there are often variations of it. Typically a diffuse thinner follows a different pattern and therefore it's more difficult to determine where he/she might fall.

I've attached a photos of the norwood scale for your reference.

9951086233_norwoodscale.jpg

Just my thoughts...

Bill

norwoodscale.jpg

The degree of thinning isn't always given the level of attention as the NW levels because of the eventuality of losing those areas. Assuming you're dealing with HT candidates in the first half of their lives, anything that's visibly thinning is gonna be gone eventually.

The balding pattern's size and shape are what really matters. The specifics of the current progression are less relevant than what the ultimate situation will be.

1-- one year for trying meds

2-- 1-2 years for getting a HT and growing it out

3-- another 1-2 years for a second pass (which seems more common than not)

That's 5 years, even in the most rushed cases. The thinning situation is probably gonna be different by then anyway.

------------------------------------------------

Ya, its scary to think that every single area that is now thin will eventually....be gone.... icon_mad.gif

-----------

Originally posted by Bill:

Hello everyone,

One thing that we have to remember is that the norwood scale is a guide to be used to determine approximately our level of hair loss. It is not a perfect guide, but it certainly does a pretty good job IMO.

These are the typical patterns one might follow, but ultimately, there are often variations of it. Typically a diffuse thinner follows a different pattern and therefore it's more difficult to determine where he/she might fall.

I've attached a photos of the norwood scale for your reference.

9951086233_norwoodscale.jpg

Just my thoughts...

Bill

That seems to be a better chart I was a sure 5A.

Guest Brad Limmer

One thing for sure is that without photos it is hard to judge your degree of loss. Bill, thanks for posting the NW scale. It is a great way for guys to judge their degree of loss and get and idea of what they might be in for when it come to hair restoration(medical or surgical).

Do you have the Ludwig's Scale. While 90%+ of men follow fairly close to the NW Scale of loss, 10%- of men will follow the Ludwigs pattern(most commonly seen in women). I am still getting up to speed on posting attachments or could help. While it might not be the case here, I am sure some one reading this thread is following closer to a Ludwig's Pattern.

Something else to consider while we await the photos.

Brad Limmer, MD

Guest Brad Limmer

Thanks. Might not apply to this case, but I do see a number of guys each month following closer to the Ludwig's pattern.

Of note, many of them have mothers with similar patterns.

Brad Limmer,MD

Guest wanthairs

yep......I lost mine a kind of ludwig way, osing the frontal forelock first at 14 years old followed by the rest.......sucks......even when I did have hair loss it looked all weird..................thank god for transplants....