Upcoming Procedure

Brando

Hey guys,

I contacted Futzyhead and he wants me to ask the community or he'll hunt me down. After all, he's the icon of hair transplantation! I'm 20 and am having a 1200 graft procedure on Aug. 5 with Dr. Cooley for my hairline. Im on Propecia and Nizoral Shampoo. The only ppl that know about it is my parents. I do not want my g/f finding out and I plan on seeing her about 5 days post op, with a hat of course. Dr. Cooley recommended I wear a piece of foil under my hat. Has everyone done this or is this just taking extra caution not to lose the grafts?? I also plan to go back to work about 5 days post op with a hat. It's kinda hot during the days where I work. What do you all think? Will the foil help anymore? Will sweating in the hat affect the grafts? Thanks guys.

Hey guys,

I contacted Futzyhead and he wants me to ask the community or he'll hunt me down. After all, he's the icon of hair transplantation! I'm 20 and am having a 1200 graft procedure on Aug. 5 with Dr. Cooley for my hairline. Im on Propecia and Nizoral Shampoo. The only ppl that know about it is my parents. I do not want my g/f finding out and I plan on seeing her about 5 days post op, with a hat of course. Dr. Cooley recommended I wear a piece of foil under my hat. Has everyone done this or is this just taking extra caution not to lose the grafts?? I also plan to go back to work about 5 days post op with a hat. It's kinda hot during the days where I work. What do you all think? Will the foil help anymore? Will sweating in the hat affect the grafts? Thanks guys.

whats the reason for the foil??...never heard of that...

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

Kez...please keep your day job, in case comedy doesn't work out for ya..icon_biggrin.gif

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

why don't you ask the doctor?

I think he would be the best person to ask....

I would cancel the meeting with your girlfriend if I were you to another week, perhaps there will be swelling? or she wants to touch your head?

thats just my opinion, though..

good luck with your surgery.

Cas

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

HAHA, no Brando, not foil, saran wrap. I did it, BrianK did it, and if im not mistaken NC30 did it too. Youll see that it will make sense once you see what hes talking about.

If you wear a ballcap a good bit like I do, I like for it to look like i did when i played baseball with a curved bill. This curvature of the bill actually puts stress on the sides of your temples where there will be graphs placed.

Without putting the saran wrap over my head before putting my balcap on, I would have DEFINITELY ripped out some graphs. There is NO DOUBT in my mind. All you do is lay a piece big enough to cover the recipient area on the table, spray it with some of the solution that he gives you and place it over the recipient area. Make sure it doesnt slide while youre putting it on and voila! you are safe for the day. Just dont let the cap shift on your head too much.

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Alright guys, thanks for all the info.

Baldcasanova: I believe I will put meeting my g/f off for a week. The swelling is something I didn't take into consideration. Thanks.

Socialdrinker: Thanks for clarifying the Saran Wrap..haha. I always wear a ballcap and yes..the bill is bent. Thanks for the info on how to do it and one quick question...how long after your procedure did you have to put the saran wrap in your hat? When did you stop?

Thanks again guys!

Hairbethere: Thanks alot for your advice. I will buy a bandana tomorrow and try it out (dunno if I can pull that look off) but if I go the saran wrap route...i will wear it until the scabs are gone. Thanks again.

Brando, I used it for about a week after the procedure. Youll know when not to use it anymore.

I definitely couldnt pull off the bandana look, although if you can, i would most certainly advise you to try. The ballcap can be a bit of a pain sometimes in the first couple of days. I was always worried that I was wearing it too tight and that the graph direction would shift.

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Brando.....the saran wrap also works to provide a greenhouse effect to keep the scalp/grafts moist.

I rarely went out on the first week after my surgery. I ran all my errands prior to the surgery. If I did go out, it was only late late at night and only to walmart. On the 7th day I went to get the sutures removed and flew home to visit family out of state the next day. I wore a hat on the flight home and during the car ride home (my family NEVER sees me wear a hat and my mom kinda wondered about that). I took it off when I got home , no one noticed a thing, and I never wore it again.

You should be fine at 5 days, and the saran wrap thing is easier than you will think. If your girlfriend is used to seeing you in a hat, and you can absolutely get away without taking it off, then you should be fine.

If your girlfriend is used to seeing you in a hat, and you can absolutely get away without taking it off, then you should be fine.

Exactly. Im pretty lucky in that i have been wearing a hat religeously for a few years. Therefore noone suspected a thing. You should be fun as long as youre careful. Remember, though, to be careful with that head! You dont want to go bumping it and losing some graphs (this can easily be done by getting in or out of a car, leaning over and hitting your head on a cabinet, etc. ) Youll probably find that youll develop a 6th sense about your head and its immediate surroundings. BTW, I may be able to come up on the day of your procedure as I couldnt go up this Friday either. If so, Ill definitely pop in and see how your coming along.

It is definitely saran wrapa nd not foil! Social and NC30 are correct Dr. Cooley feels that it creates a greenhouse effect to help keep the grafts hydrated. He would want you to use is even if you use the bandana. It is in your best interest. Don't stress we will go over all of it. We will give you a cap or a surgeons cap to take home and then you can make your own decision. It is hard to know the extent of scabbing you will have but the more you soak and spray the quicker you will heal. You will be surprised it will not be as bad as you expect.

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

NC30: I will make all my errands the day before my procedure. Thanks for the info!

Social: Look forward to seeing you there, man!

Ailene: Thanks alot. I'm beginning to get pretty anxious!