Can Propecia dry out your scalp

Guest dude1

Guest dude1

Have there been any patients who found that their scalps became dry after several months of using Propecia? I've heard Rogaine can do this but I have never heard of Propecia causing it. Any comments would be appreciated. I don't know if I should stop the Propecia temorarily to see if the dryness clears up. How long can I safely stop before the hair fallout kicks in again?

Guest dude1

Have there been any patients who found that their scalps became dry after several months of using Propecia? I've heard Rogaine can do this but I have never heard of Propecia causing it. Any comments would be appreciated. I don't know if I should stop the Propecia temorarily to see if the dryness clears up. How long can I safely stop before the hair fallout kicks in again?

dude1:

I experienced no dryness due to Propecia. Only due to Rogaine.

The half-life of Propecia is 2 weeks. That is about how long you can be off of it before DHT levels start to return to normal. After that, your normal hairloss pattern will restart in most cases.

Hope this helps.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

I have had a couple of patients that claim they started getting a dry scalp only after starting Propecia. In most cases if you continue on the Propecia and use scalp conditioners, the symptoms will subside. The only real way to determine if the Propecia is what's causing the dryness is to stop using it for a short period of time(1 week), and see if the scalp returns to normal. Remember,

in order for a product or medication to be worhtwhile the benifits must be greater than the side effects.

Guest dude1

Thank you Dr Charles for your informative responses to the 2 questions I posted. I will stop the Propecia for a few days and see if that helps the dryness.

Dude1,

Just an idea here, I get dry hair and at times an itchy scalp, but always have even before Propecia, one thing that works for me is use "conditioner only" every other day on your hair..this helps even out the dryness.

NW