propecia and frontal sheding

maki8787

hi all

im taking proscar for 3 months now and my situation is much much worse then before.

Crown is ok but frontal part is almost all gone ! i think in 3 months i lost 40% of my frontal hair!

i understand that there is sheding period due to finastride but im still very worry.

i read a couple of forum posts here and other web hairloss forums and many people are talking about propecia making their frontal hairlane worse while improving crown area.

my crown area is fine and mainly reason im taking proscar is to improve frontal part of my hairlane.

does anyone know how long it will take to see real improvement from proscar/propecia ? How Long Will The Shedding Phase Last For?

thanx in advance!

hi all

im taking proscar for 3 months now and my situation is much much worse then before.

Crown is ok but frontal part is almost all gone ! i think in 3 months i lost 40% of my frontal hair!

i understand that there is sheding period due to finastride but im still very worry.

i read a couple of forum posts here and other web hairloss forums and many people are talking about propecia making their frontal hairlane worse while improving crown area.

my crown area is fine and mainly reason im taking proscar is to improve frontal part of my hairlane.

does anyone know how long it will take to see real improvement from proscar/propecia ? How Long Will The Shedding Phase Last For?

thanx in advance!

Found this on the following website:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/productreviews/men/propecia/

SHEDDING: Our hair naturally goes through growth and resting cycles. Each hair has its own cycle, and at any given time, a large % of follicles are "resting" while the remainder are "growing" as hair on the scalp. When Propecia enters the system, the sudden removal of DHT from the follicles can sometimes shock a large number of follicles to enter into the resting phase at the same time. Its known as a synchronization of the hair cycle. To the layman, it's frequently known as the "shedding sh*ts". Panic can set in as the person who sought to stop their hair loss, suddenly see's it get worse right before their eyes. The change is typically not noticeable to anyone but the one on the treatment, but its enough to cause many to freak out and lose their stability. We are here to inform you to NOT worry about shedding. If you are shedding, this means you are responding to the treatment. A larger number of hairs have entered into dormancy so that they can rest, and rejuvenate in 2 or 3 months free of any DHT affliction. It's as simple as that. Shedding rarely lasts more than 4 months, and typically results in a sudden "awakening" of large numbers of hairs.

PATIENCE: Propecia takes time. Do not expect results in 3 months. If you are a good responder, your hair loss will stop at about month 4. You typically will not see any regrowth until month 6 to 8, and your optimum results on the treatment won't be seen until after one full year. Be patient, know that you've got an 83% chance to keep what you have today, and let it do its job.

all im reading (here and other forums) is posts of propecia killing peoples hairline (front) and there is not one single person who said it helped him in positive way.

ad exemple if u read this post http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?cati...29&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

you will see what im saying.but there are also many others similar posts !

i just would like that someone tell me this is 100% normal and my hair will come back !

yep having the same issue, scaring me. The front is getting thinner and thinnger and i just keep shedding hairs non stop in the shower. I'm talking a lot. I got on propercia becuase i was losing hair on the sides. I'm concerned now and worried if i should get off it. If anyone else has these issues please post.

Hey guys,

Thought I'd weigh in here, even though my real experience was with dut. I skipped Propecia and went right to dut (not a wise move, generally speaking, but I was looking to dut because of the propecia ingredient list). I had an extrememly negative reaction in the short time I took it (I recall it being 1 to 2 months). Just as some of you have described, I was thinning somewhat at the temples, but nothing too outrageous.

Now I don't want to sound like the guy who yells "fire" in a crowded theater, so I will be measured with what I say here. However, it is my personal experience that dut had a severely negative effect on my frontal hairline. My scalp became oily, my hair felt dried out, and I lost hair at a much faster rate than ever before. In the few months that followed dut (once I was off it), I continued to lose hair at an accelerated rate. It is now almost 7 months since stopping dut, and I haven't seen any regrowth in these areas. Believe me, for everyone's sake, I sincerely hope these medications do work (or something better comes along). But please, don't hesitate to trust your intuition if you feel that something is doing you more harm than good. Listen to your body, and let it guide you. Dut just felt wrong to me, and I don't regret my decision. For those of you who find it works to some degree (Robert, for example), by all means continue. Just my two cents.

Current Regimen:

Nizoral 1% (3x weekly)

EMU Oil (nightly application)

MSM (3,000mg daily)

Viviscal (2x daily)

Daily Multivitamin

all HT docs i spoke with Recommended propecia!

and said stay on it at least 1 year.

BUT if i stay one year on it and situation gets worse i will end with no frontal hair at all!!

i just would like to hear from someone that all hair lost due propecia will return !!

and im getting HT soon. if i also loose hair due to shockloss from HT then it will be really scary.....

Originally posted by BballTC:

Hey guys,

Thought I'd weigh in here, even though my real experience was with dut. I skipped Propecia and went right to dut (not a wise move, generally speaking, but I was looking to dut because of the propecia ingredient list). I had an extrememly negative reaction in the short time I took it (I recall it being 1 to 2 months). Just as some of you have described, I was thinning somewhat at the temples, but nothing too outrageous.

Now I don't want to sound like the guy who yells "fire" in a crowded theater, so I will be measured with what I say here. However, it is my personal experience that dut had a severely negative effect on my frontal hairline. My scalp became oily, my hair felt dried out, and I lost hair at a much faster rate than ever before. In the few months that followed dut (once I was off it), I continued to lose hair at an accelerated rate. It is now almost 7 months since stopping dut, and I haven't seen any regrowth in these areas. Believe me, for everyone's sake, I sincerely hope these medications do work (or something better comes along). But please, don't hesitate to trust your intuition if you feel that something is doing you more harm than good. Listen to your body, and let it guide you. Dut just felt wrong to me, and I don't regret my decision. For those of you who find it works to some degree (Robert, for example), by all means continue. Just my two cents.

I can totally relate that those first few months on Avodart can be extremely disconcerting. I made myself stick it out and fortunately came out for the better. I can't say that everyone would be so fortunate, though. It's definitely a nail-biter at first!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog