Hair Transplant Reversal

Had mine done back in the late 70's and early 80's. Needless to say I wear an hair piece now. I have plugs all over my scalp and no donor area left. If possible I would like to reverse this and just shave my head. I am 52 yrs old. The hair piece just doesn't cut it at my age and it's to expensive. Anybody no of any surgeons in the Northeast USA that could help me? Thanks folks

Had mine done back in the late 70's and early 80's. Needless to say I wear an hair piece now. I have plugs all over my scalp and no donor area left. If possible I would like to reverse this and just shave my head. I am 52 yrs old. The hair piece just doesn't cut it at my age and it's to expensive. Anybody no of any surgeons in the Northeast USA that could help me? Thanks folks

I'm sure if you consult with many doctors from the coalition: http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp they will be able to give you the best advice for you.

There are several options that you might consider:

1. Removal of the old plugs. The risks include recipient area scarring or pitting since the plugs have to be surgically removed

2. Additional Hair transplantation with new technology (ultra refined follicular unit transplanation) surrounding the old plugs to camoflage them. Do a search using the "find" feature of this forum on repairwork. Also see http://www.hairtransplantmentor.com/ where JoTronic (a dedicated member of this community and employee at Hasson and Wong) shares his experience including repair work.

I hope this gets you started.

Bill

Bill, he mentioned no donor area left icon_frown.gif

Mickey, I hope that's not entirely the case but either way Bill's advice is still relevant. Go see a good HT surgeon for a consultation. At the very least, a consultation with one of the top doctors could reveal that they can still take some hair via FUE for masking the old work.

Edit: I just remembered that Dr. Feller (a coalition doctor) has a LOT of experience with repairing bad, old transplants. He's located in NY, Long Island, and he may be able to help. He's a great doctor. I don't work for him, but he did do my HT so I recommend him.

A bit off topic but my Feller HT is only at the 2 month mark and it's noticeably growing. How cool is that? I need to update my photo album & show off!

Youngguy,

I actually did miss that, however, I can't understand why he thinks he has no donor hair left. I'd like to see him consult with a few doctors and see what they have to say. Obviously, not knowing his specific situation, generally speaking, I find it hard to believe that his donor is depleted. But hopefully he'll consult with a doc.

Bill

• Administrators

Mickey,

Sorry to hear about you suffering through the dark ages of hair transplantation. I suggest you view our "repair" section to learn about the various strategies that may work for you.

As for the best hair transplant surgeon in Atlanta, in my opinion that would be Dr. Griffin, if you count both ethics and outstanding results.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Bill,

Thanks for sharing my linkicon_smile.gif

Mickey,

I do not profess to know anything of your situation but what I have found is that patients that have had the plug technique performed have roughly the same laxity as virgin patients. I have seen several patients with numerous plugs able to have one or more good sized strip sessions for a camouflage job. One patient, and a friend, that comes to mind is Badger65. He had dozens of plugs on top of his scalp including many in a hairline that was too low. A lot of these old plugs were removed in their entirety, dissected under microscopes, and redistributed as regular grafts. In his first session with us we were able to yield 1200 grafts from his plugs alone. He then returned twice for two strips for a rough total of 6000 grafts and now he looks great. Here are his results...

index.php?PHPSESSID=c46a053c34a54bf547f2ab407b2123b4&action=dlattach;topic=120.0;id=50;image

index.php?PHPSESSID=c46a053c34a54bf547f2ab407b2123b4&action=dlattach;topic=120.0;id=52;image

index.php?PHPSESSID=c46a053c34a54bf547f2ab407b2123b4&action=dlattach;topic=98.0;id=90;image

index.php?PHPSESSID=c46a053c34a54bf547f2ab407b2123b4&action=dlattach;topic=168.0;id=99;image

Again, I don't know anything of your case so it is with hope that I say you could possibly have something done to help your case beyond simple plug removal however if this is not the case I have seen the results of removal alone and it works quite well. One patient of Dr. Wong's that came from London had several removed and there is hardly any evidence of their prior existence so this could be an option for you.

Good luck with whatever route you choose and if you have any questions just let me know.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Joetronic,

For the patient you introduced was anything done to improve or reduce the old donor area scarring? Were the old "punch scars" removed along with his subsequent strips and then the donor area closed with the new techniques?

Phil

PPC,

Yes, some of the old punch scars were removed in the first and the second strip. The plugs that were removed were cored out with a scalpel then sutured. The end result, before being transplanted, was a barely perceptible (under close inspection) white line of a scar. Dr. Wong did not remove all of the the plugs as some were simply camouflaged.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians