Just starting with Finasteride

Openstar32

2008-03-24smaller.jpg Hello,

I'm just starting with Finasteride. 5mg so far, a quarter pill each day.

I have searched for hours on 'hairloss' topics and the web seems to be full of depressed blokes wondering whether to 'risk' the drugs or not.

So, I decided to 'risk' the pills. I'll take good photos of my bald spot every month or so. That's it. I hope it will be of use to someone still considering whether to do it.

Bob

Edited by Openstar32

2008-03-24smaller.jpg Hello,

I'm just starting with Finasteride. 5mg so far, a quarter pill each day.

I have searched for hours on 'hairloss' topics and the web seems to be full of depressed blokes wondering whether to 'risk' the drugs or not.

So, I decided to 'risk' the pills. I'll take good photos of my bald spot every month or so. That's it. I hope it will be of use to someone still considering whether to do it.

Bob

Edited by Openstar32

Openstar,

Welcome to our forum community and thanks for charting your progress with finasteride and sharing it with us.

At one month, don't expect to see any differences. In fact, finasteride is typically good at slowing down or stopping hair loss and only more rarely does it stimulate hair regrowth. If it does - expect to see some observable changes in 6 months to a year. Keep us posted on your progress.

Best wishes,

Bill

Openstar:

My Dr. prescribed the 5 mg to me, and recommended 1/3 of the pill every M-W-F. That's a little different than your regimen, but I'm not sure which is right or if there's much of a difference.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Just had my third HT so I'm taking .25 propecia to help with shockloss. I will definitely do 3 months of it, hopefully 6 (barring side effects), at .25mg a day, but then I'll porbably cut back to .25 every other day. 1mg of this crap scares me to death.

Originally posted by HT55:

I think you have a chance for excellent results. I would add rogaine foam in the mix also

I'm guessing you meant to say you are taking 1.25 mg/day if you are splitting a 5mg pill in 1/4's

Hello,

Nope, I'm taking 0.25mg. A quarter of a 1mg tablet. As mentioned on Wikipedia.

I have been thinking about Rogaine. Do people think that Finasteride can maintain hair grown due to Rogaine? I can take the Finasteride forever - but not sure I want to apply potion forever. I must be less dedicated than a lot of blokes on here!.. or maybe I'm just getting started!?

Bye for now,

Bob icon_smile.gif

Edited by Openstar32

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Openstar32:

I think you have a chance for excellent results. I would add rogaine foam in the mix also

I'm guessing you meant to say you are taking 1.25 mg/day if you are splitting a 5mg pill in 1/4's

Hello,

I have been thinking about Rogaine. Do people think that Finasteride can maintain hair grown due to Rogaine? I can take the Finasteride forever - but not sure I want to apply potion forever. I must be less dedicated than a lot of blokes on here!.. or maybe I'm just getting started!?

Bye for now,

Mark icon_smile.gif

Bravo Openstar,

i to have decided to go down the quarer 1mg dose road, also using standard 5% minoxidil twice a day.

I shall look forward to your photo updates.

Originally posted by dabuski:
Originally posted by Openstar32:

Hello,

Bye for now,

Mark icon_smile.gif

Bravo Openstar,

i to have decided to go down the quarter 1mg dose road, also using standard 5% minoxidil twice a day.

I shall look forward to your photo updates.

• 1 month later...