Closing scar on irregular skull shape

Hello,

I wanted to find out how difficult it is to close scars on skulp shapes like mine as shown below.

I cant explain the shape, but the back of my head has a pointing sort of bone.

Im wondering once i have a scar at the back if it will stretch due to tension (because of the shape of the skulp).

Please let me know your thoughts on this as im thinking of doing a HT via FUT.

back_side_view.thumb.JPG.6fc4ed7b8cc58e59f8fb3a0f73b8f5d9.JPG

ultimate,

I wanted to find out how difficult it is to close scars on skulp shapes like mine as shown below.

Nothing is wrong with ythe shape of your skull.

Im wondering once i have a scar at the back if it will stretch due to tension (because of the shape of the skulp).

The elasticity of your scalp is an attribute in itself, and has nothing to do with the shape of your skull. Someone with a small head can have a scar that can stretch more than someone with a large skull. It has to do with how much tissue is excised and the tension of the closure.

take care...

You need to decide what method FUE vs FUT you would prefer. If you intend on continuing with the very short hair in the back than maybe you should have FUE. If you are planning to grow the hair longer after the transplant, than it is possible to have a very thin donor scar even though you may have a slighly unusual shaped scalp.

Originally posted by ultimate:

... Im wondering once i have a scar at the back if it will stretch due to tension (because of the shape of the skulp)...

Hello Ultimate

The area you are talking about is called the "Nuchal Ridge". It is the base of the skull, where the neck muscles attach. With FUT, a donor strip is often removed right above this bump. We usually test the scalp flexibility for each individual to determine the safe width for a donor strip. The skull shape may have an influence but there are many other factors.

You very likely can have FUT with a trichophytic closure as long as the donor strip is not wider than your flexibility allows. As Dr. Charles noticed, even a very narrow scar would show with your hair at your current length.

Finally, you do seem to have thinning over a big area in the 3rd view. If you are not already using medical treatment it would be good to consider it.

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks everyone for your input.

ALso, Where should the scar go for the best result (in terms of grafts, laxity, scar size, future loss etc.)

Under the 'nuchal ridge' or below or on it.

Perhaps, if anyone with 'nuchal ridge' out there who had a strip HT can put their outcome. That would be great.