Finasteride and loss of sleep????

skysurf

Hi guys,

I am probably a Norwood 2 - 2.5 and just realized the state of my MPB about a month ago.... I just started on Finasteride 3.5 weeks ago.

I have not had any ED side-effects or problems with libido so far. However the one problem I do have:

For about two weeks now I am having significant problems with insomnia. I am having a VERY difficult time falling asleep at night, and what little sleep I can manage to get is not good quality either. I found this link which states that insomnia can be a side-effect of Propecia/Finasteride: http://www.yoursleepdisorders.com/finasteride-and-insom...s-of-finasteride-22/

My question I guess is: have any of you guys had similar problems with insomnia?? I am not sure whether the lack of sleep could be an exact side-effect of Finasteride.... I have read somewhere the levels of DHT are highest when you are sleeping, so if Finasteride blocks DHT, could this affect your sleep cycle??

Would you suggest switching to a lower-dose (every other day??) of finasteride, or any sleep meds?? I hate the idea of having to take sleep medications because don't want to get dependent on them. Any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate any help!!

Thanks!!

skysurf,

I have been of propecia for about 6 years; I have also had insomnia; however, I do not feel it was caused by propecia; I worked differant shifts in my job, stress etc...

First, try make sure you are sleeping on a regular schedule; try to go to bed and get up at about the same time each day; I do take ambien, a prescription sleep aid occassionally, but you can't take too often or your body gets used to to it and its effectiveness is less; also, no caffeine up to 8 hours before bedtime; caffeine has a half life of 4 hours, so it can stay in your system and prevent a good sleep; I would not change your dosage of propecia; I do not feel it is related to insomnia.

Thanks Dhoose!! BTW, you said you have 'been of' Propecia, is that typo meaning you have been 'on' it or did you decide to quite because of the side-effects??

I don't take any caffeine at all. Normally I eat VERY healthy and avoid intaking any unncessary foods/liquids (soda, etc.) and Finasteride is so far the only thing I have taken (reluctantly I must admit....)

I think you are right, most likely I don't think my insomnia is due to propecia.... I have kept a realllly bad sleeping habit/cycle the last few years, sleeping/waking at odd hours. All this might just be anxiety....

I was looking online and saw reviews on some good hypno-sleep aid audio cd's and new age music cd's for sleep and relaxation. I have ordered a few of these and will try them out, but I am really hoping they help to solve the problem. I really wouldn't like to have to get off Finasteride as I don't want to lose my freakin hair!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! icon_smile.gif

• 2 months later...

Exactly the same thoughts as skysurf brought me to this forum (via a google search). I have been taking propecia for about 9 days now and the quality of my sleep has been terrible - it's as if I have been taking gobs of coffee before going to bed. I am inclined to get off it completely.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

just thought to update on this post since I started it.

I've been on Finasteride (Propecia) for a little over four months now. I am sleeping better and don't think my loss of sleep was due to finasteride at all.... Looking at it now I am sure it was just anxiety (especially anxiety about losing my hair!!!! icon_smile.gif......) and poor sleeping habits.

I am thankful to say there are no side-effects I've had either, and my sex drive and libido seem to the same, if not a little higher.... I was REALLLLLY worried about this before I started Propecia, but think this could very well be simply psychological as well.... I normally take the 5mg finasteride split into quarters. The pill split into quarters is so small I don't know how it manages to do anything at all???? But I hope it does and prevents my hairloss....

So I will continue my use of Propecia and hopefully have good results. icon_smile.gif

Best regards,

Hiya notgoing,

no, I take the 5mg Finastaride pill (PROSCAR). I use a pill-cutter and split it into a quarter and take each quarter every night. So I take 1.25 mg finasteride every night, and skip the fifth night, as advised by my doctor who prescribed it.

Actually, what I usually do is even out the time between the day I take the last quarter of the old pill and the first quarter of the new pill. So that means I take 1.25 mg each night for three nights. Then I skip the fourth night, but on the fifth morning I will take the last 1.25 mg. Then on the night of the sixth I take the first 1.25 mg of the next pill. If that makes sense.... I dunno if it's actually gonna work, but I just figured it to be better than just waiting two entire days with the DHT-blocker. icon_smile.gif

So far I haven't noticed any of the sexual side-effects. I had thought I was noticing them at the beginning, but now thing that was also just psychological as Mr. Happy seems to be quite happy and content most of the time. I hope it stays like!!!! icon_smile.gif

Best regards,

that sounds like a healthy and disciplined diet of fin!

Im glad your "mr. happy" is still in full-function and that you can describe him in such endearing terms...

I have a rather vengeful and vindictive prick, which I will in no way shower him w/such praises and blessings.... icon_mad.gificon_redface.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I've experienced insomnia for apx. 5 years since I've been on propecia. However, I've never definitively determined that propecia was/is the cause. What I generally experienced was a sort of "anxiety" attack (rapid heart rate/adrenaline)while lying in bed that would wake me up out of bed. I would be interested in finding out if anyone has had a similiar experience.

I don't know if even the folks suffering from MPB realize how consuming a thing it is. Going bald/losing hair/shedding is constantly on the surface of my mind, which in turn produces stress, and suppossedly stress perpetuates shedding. It's a vicious cycle indeed.

Again, I don't know if propecia alone causes insomnia, but I have a feeling it might exacerbate an existing condition. I cannot drink caffiene anymore as I'm ultra-sensitive to it. I always have a box of non-habit forming sleeping pills for those restless nights. However, I would like to say that I've kicked caffiene recently (diet sodas) and I've been sleeping pretty well recently FWIW.

Hope this helps