HR Question

Good evening...Not beating around the bush I am 27 about to turn 28 and have been thinning I'd say for 4/5 yrs. now. I'm tired of being a victim of hair loss and have decided it's time to do something about it. I am not on any medication and have just recently had a hair consultation with Medical Hair Restoration. They identified me as a candidate for a HT and are stating I should get 1500-2000 grafs. I came across your site, which was a blessing in disguise. I read a ton of hate mail on Bosley and want to know has anyone had the same issues w/ Medical Hair Restoration? As of right now I have made an appt. but have not put down the deposit, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Good evening...Not beating around the bush I am 27 about to turn 28 and have been thinning I'd say for 4/5 yrs. now. I'm tired of being a victim of hair loss and have decided it's time to do something about it. I am not on any medication and have just recently had a hair consultation with Medical Hair Restoration. They identified me as a candidate for a HT and are stating I should get 1500-2000 grafs. I came across your site, which was a blessing in disguise. I read a ton of hate mail on Bosley and want to know has anyone had the same issues w/ Medical Hair Restoration? As of right now I have made an appt. but have not put down the deposit, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and I'm sure I'll have more questions.

There will be individuals on this site that are far more educated on the topic than I am , but I think that almost all will tell you to research the Coalition doctors and choose one of them. They are all very highly recommended and research everything before you take the step towards a HT.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hello JohnDoe,

Is that your real name? Just kidding. Welcome to the forums. I am glad you found this place before proceeding with your surgery. I will say upfront that I have no personal experience with Bosley or MHR, however, I have done TONS of reading on these forums over the last couple years of my HT journey (started around 27, similar to you) and I can say that I've found that most patients have had negative experiences with Bosley AND MHR. My personal advice would be to STAY CLEAR from MHR and Bosley. It is a good thing you've come here, as I said. If I were you, I'd use the "Find" tool from the navigation bar and search for MHR to see what you can find. Between this forum and others, I have found a lot of negative information and many dissatisfied patients.

My advice that I would give anyone just starting out:

1. Get on medication (Propecia or Proscar (which both contain Finasteride)). You can also try minoxodil, but I tend to stay away from it...works for some people...didn't work for me.

2. Research, research, research!!! Research hard before choosing a doctor. Search the forums, talk to patients, get their feedback on doctors they've been to

3. Consult at least 3 coaltion doctors...if they are not within physical proximity, do virtual consultation. These doctors have proven themselves to be "the best in the business"

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp

See below for another link of the criteria they had to meet to become part of the coalition membership:

http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...ership-standards.asp

4. Don't let proximity be your determining factor on which doctor to see. It's important that you pick one of the BEST doctors in the world....you are talking about a lot of money and a permanent head of hair. God forbid you pick a doctor that gives you a pluggy hairline or where only 50% of the grafts placed grow, etc. There are many horror stories of patients who went to many of these second rate clinics....research them and view their pictures. It's scary.

Feel free to post pictures here and ask any and all the questions you have. We are happy to help.

I hope this at least gets you started.

Bill

The problem with what we call the "hair mills" or chains, is that they are more about marketing and getting people in the chair than they are about delivering a quality product. They are risky at best.

They are not cheaper and usually are more expensive. So there is absolutely no reason to go to them when there are so many quality independent surgeons around.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

JD-

Ditto Bill's post.....start doing everything you can for loss prevention, do your homework and consult with the best of the best then go with who you trust.

Good point Gorpy...........most of the HT "chain stores" are purely in it for the money. A lot of slick marketing and little long-term (or short-term) customer care. Nice to know we have a proven commodity in the Coalition!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Just joined the board as well. I'm in the same boat as Johndoe I'm 27yrs old have thinning hair in the frontal part started thinning when i was about 23. Just had a consulation at MHR was quoted somewhere around $3.75 and getting 2500 grafts. I'm doing research as well on which doctors as they have many and have not given me a name of the doctor that will be performing the surgery. I was on propecia for about a year but have been off of it for about a year now, guess its time to get back on it. I do appreciate that most of you post pictures and very helpful info. Will start my research on this board and see what I learn about MHR and the doctors here in S. Florida

Tito....I echo all the same advice above for you as well. Do your own research, but from my research, I feel it's best to stay away from both Bosley and MHR completely. There is a chance that you might land a good doctor at one of those clinics, but the posts I've read on this forum...it's few and far between that you should expect that. Best going with a "SURE THING". See my above post and links.

Bill

Bill I spent all nite yesterday reading through this forum and found a lot of interesting things said about Bosley and MHR and will take the advice of all of you guys. So I called Dr Epstein 2day and made an appt for the 28th to see him. I only heard good things and more then 1 opinion doesn't hurt. I just want to make sure I find the best there is out here in Miami, since I live here and would like to visit the doctors as my hair progresses. Once again I love these type of forums where all of you get together and share such helpful information that can help us make a life changing choice.