Time for Meds??

SV_08

Its been over a year since my HT, and since then my hair loss has been non-existent until recently. Now i'm starting to shed again. Last time I went down this road I did nothing and ended up losing a LOT. Don't want to make the same mistake twice. I'm thinking its time to start takin meds (proscar??) however everywhere I read about the sides are scaring the sh*t outta me- decreased libido, more shedding etc... being 25 and single that could pose a bit of a problem. Any other suggestions/advice for me??

HT2 - March, 2013. 2933 grafts.

HT1 - June, 2006. 800 grafts.

Its been over a year since my HT, and since then my hair loss has been non-existent until recently. Now i'm starting to shed again. Last time I went down this road I did nothing and ended up losing a LOT. Don't want to make the same mistake twice. I'm thinking its time to start takin meds (proscar??) however everywhere I read about the sides are scaring the sh*t outta me- decreased libido, more shedding etc... being 25 and single that could pose a bit of a problem. Any other suggestions/advice for me??

Spiral08,

As you may well know, a hair transplant is not a cure for hair loss. Because hair loss is a progressive condition and unpredictable, medication is the best line of defense we have to help keep what we have.

The possibility of side effects is something serious to consider. There are some people who experience them, and some who don't. What's stated on the website is that these side effects are rare.

Personally, I have not experienced side effects from taking Proscar or Propecia. But if you are going to get on medication, keep in mind it's a commitment. Stopping the medication means losing anything you've gained.

Additionally, if you experience shedding, this is a sign of the medication working. The shedding is only temporary and the hair will come back in thicker. But try the medication for at least a year assuming you don't experience side effects.

Bill

thanks Bill... at what age/dose did u start the meds?? i was thinkin 1/4 proscar every other day..

i guess its just a balancing act. i read a few threads about people's side effects and get freaked out. could i try taking it for a few months and if im experiencing sides (ED, test pain, etc) just stop it, or is that not enough time to tell??

Spiral,

I started taking Propecia at age 27 (3.5 years ago) and swtiched to Proscar about 7 months ago. I've had no observable/noticeable side effects.

It is always best to consult with a doctor BEFORE taking any prescription medication.

I recommend taking sometime to read up on all the possible side effects on Propecia's website. I believe the website does state that out of the small percentage that experience side effects, most of them go away with continued use of the medication. Additionally I believe the site indicates that side effects will go away with discontinued use of the product.

Bill