is donor scar too big?

jwaves

Hi there,

I had a hair transplant with a very well respected surgeon 2 weeks and a half ago. I have had previous transplant with the same surgeon. In the past the scar had been bigger than what I was happy with (it may have stretched) and have conveyed this prior to the operation. Today I noticed a bit of bald patch when I felt the back of my head. So I took a photo of the donor area. ...this bold patch is big. Its larger than my thumb as seen in the pic. The donor area was stiched with disolving stitch. How do I cover this scar with my usual hair cut. Should I be worry...has some hair fallen out in the area surrounding and will grow back??? What should I do? Help.

Hi there,

I had a hair transplant with a very well respected surgeon 2 weeks and a half ago. I have had previous transplant with the same surgeon. In the past the scar had been bigger than what I was happy with (it may have stretched) and have conveyed this prior to the operation. Today I noticed a bit of bald patch when I felt the back of my head. So I took a photo of the donor area. ...this bold patch is big. Its larger than my thumb as seen in the pic. The donor area was stiched with disolving stitch. How do I cover this scar with my usual hair cut. Should I be worry...has some hair fallen out in the area surrounding and will grow back??? What should I do? Help.

• Administrators

Jwaves,

After seeing your photo I can understand your concern and dissapointment.

It appears that you are experiencing some shock fall out of your hair in and around your donor sutured area. Although relatively rare this can happen. But the good news is that your hair will normally regrow and this area will fill in up to and around the actual scar tissue. However, this regrowth may take several weeks.

Have you spoken to your surgeon about this issue? And who was your surgeon?

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your feedback. I saw the surgeon today and he said the same thing..due to shock loss (the skin pulling quite tight). So hopefully it should come back. I guess I was worried because it seem to be in one area only and I didn't get any donor hair lost previously. Also, A few people had commented on the irregular path of the scar...I guess this might be from having a few surgery (i've had 2 prior 500 graft sessions)?

(ps. may need to erase this post as I have duplicated it in 'hair transplant experieces)