Newb needs expert advice for HT Doctor. Dr Robert Jones?

Hi, im new to this site. I have been doing alot of research for the past year and I need your advise.

Im looking to get a HT procedure done to lower my hairline abit. Ive always had a high hairline since I was a kid, im not loosing that much hair, again its just to brign down the hairline on my forehead about 1cm and on the edges abit.

My photo's are attached.

Ive been reading much on FUE vs FUSS treatments. There are many advantages of FUSS from what ive read.

I live in Toronto Ontario, up to date only 2 doctors come to my head. Dr. Alvi Armani and Dr. Robert Jones in Oakville. These im hoping are 2 reputable doctors.

I called Armani today and made an appointment for a consult next week. Weird when I asked if Armani actually performs the surgery they said no. I asked if I pay more will that be an option, they said yes. So im guessing its his assistants doing the work, I also noticed he is very commerialized which in my eyes is not good.

I went to see Dr Robert Jones today for a consult. He was very nice and so was his staff. He suggested I do NOT go with FUE as my graphs need to be dense and really packed in to get a full look in the front. It has to match with what I have and he said my hair is dense as it is. Also the FUE would cost around $18k and would take 2 visits to complete.

He recommended FUSS. He said I would only need 1800-2000 graphs and would cost around $7000 which is reasonable for me. The procedure would take around 7-8 hours. The cut would not be to big, around 4 inches which i can handle.

I want to know what you guys think, or if you know any reputable doctors in Toronto that would do better work.

Thanks alot

hair1.jpg.452f647779de86e6460aa816c7cdf4aa.jpg

forget about Armani if he cant do the procedure unless you pay extra. Also i guess he doesnt have a good track record w/ FUE. As far as Dr.Jones i've never heard of him so i cant give you advice either way. Use the search engine on this forum to see if any one has had experience w/ him. I do know that you are pretty close to Dr. Rahal however and he's got a great track record. BTW i dont even think you need any work done from what i can tell!

If thats what makes you feel better than do it. Just be careful and do your research. When your done doing your research make your decision and go w/ your heart. Even if that means spending a bit more money to travel to a doc your comfy with. Best of luck!!

John; If you honestly did research and I do not think you would consider either doctor you mentioned. Please remember you are lowering your hairline it is important that you have the most natural look hair transplant possible because that is what people will look at first.

Three things you mentioned that would get me worried.

1) he is a nice guy....that has nothing to do with your results if you were to meet Dr. Bosley you would probaly think he is a saint.

2) You are not researching the best doctor only the ones in your area.

3) Although price is important, you have to remember that you will have this transplant for the rest of your life and shouldn't settle quality for price. If you do not have the money then wait.

If you don't want to travel alot I would recommend both Dr. Feller and Dr.Shapiro.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

He recommended FUSS. He said I would only need 1800-2000 graphs and would cost around $7000 which is reasonable for me. The procedure would take around 7-8 hours. The cut would not be to big, around 4 inches which i can handle.

I want to know what you guys think, or if you know any reputable doctors in Toronto that would do better work.

For 2,000 grafts, I'd say you can get a world-class surgeon working on your head for around that $7k figure. Go down to New York, Minnesota or Virginia to one of those guys.

I got 2,500 for $9k, so I'm sure you're pretty close anyway. Don't let another $1,000 determine whether you go with a first tier or second tier surgeon for a hair transplant.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Originally posted by lorenzo:

John; If you honestly did research and I do not think you would consider either doctor you mentioned. Please remember you are lowering your hairline it is important that you have the most natural look hair transplant possible because that is what people will look at first.

Three things you mentioned that would get me worried.

1) he is a nice guy....that has nothing to do with your results if you were to meet Dr. Bosley you would probaly think he is a saint.

2) You are not researching the best doctor only the ones in your area.

3) Although price is important, you have to remember that you will have this transplant for the rest of your life and shouldn't settle quality for price. If you do not have the money then wait.

If you don't want to travel alot I would recommend both Dr. Feller and Dr.Shapiro.

Lorenzo im not worried about price, I want the best quality, however I would like a doctor Close to Toronto. Have you heard any degative posts about Robert Jones ? I did research and could not find any.

Dr. Jones is average at best in the industry. Can you show me any good results from Dr. Jones that are not posted by him???

I got this from another website I hope that is not a problem.

I'm glad that people are happy with Dr. Jones, and I wish you all the best in your upcoming hair growth.

The main issues that bother me are each of these complaining posters had similar experiences:

BigMac said that he received 2000 grafts in less than 3 hours. Abouw said he received 1100 grafts in less than 2 hours. Donna claimed that the techs kept coming and going and didn't spend much time on her either. Her experience sounded very strange which you'll have to read for yourself.

Son of a Plug, BigMac, Abouw, and Donna all claim they have unacceptable donor scars.

Donna tried to cancel her appointment before surgery, but was talked into continuing by Dr. Jones. Obviously she wasn't in the right frame of mind and shouldn't have proceeded. If true, this is not proper conduct for a doctor specializing in cosmetic surgery.

Donna said (and this is really disturbing if true) "Not all the grafts were finished being cut. You instructed them before 4 to just finish using what they had in that circular dish in the room I was in. This was confirmed by two other technicians that came in and said "he" wants us to stop cutting the grafts and just finish up." What does this mean, and what happened to the uncut grafts?

They claimed that Dr. Jones rarely or never came into the room after the strip was taken. The techs were on their own planting. And one poster said "your technician was making some of the incisions" which is illegal if true.

Complaints about angles and natural appearance.

Another guy named missingit didn't get specific but is also very upset with his procedure.

There are too many similar complaints to dismiss in my opinion. I certainly don't see these problems discussed from other top HT surgeons. Prospective patients need to be aware of these issues and decide for themselves.

I found this is one minute you need to research some more. The only thing worse than going bald is recieving an unacceptable transplant. Since you going want to go far. Research Dr. Feller and Dr. Shapiro as well.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

I am usually asking questions on here not answering but I will say this..... dont let geography stand in the way of going to the best surgeon you can. I live in Maryland on the East coast of the US and I travelled to Vancouver on the west coast of Canada to have my surgery done last week. I wanted the best and Dr Hassons office paid for the majority of my air fare and put me up in a hotel for two nights free of charge. So I guess you need to do your research find the best and go to them. I hope that helps!

If I were you I would check into a hotel the night of the surgery go see the doctor the next day and if you wanted to leave then you should be ok to go.

My surgery lasted like 12 hours and afterwards I couldnt sleep and my flight was at 5:45 the next day so I just decided to go to the airport. I was up for like 48 hours or something total so I would have had no problem driving home. I am sure you wont either but i would recomend spending the night there the night before.

I finished at around 6:30 p.m. but was high as a kite. I drove the 1/4 mile to the hotel, but I wouldn't recommend a five hour drive. Although there's no pain, those drugs can really impair your judgement.

Don't want to die just when you are about to start living!

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Cool,, good idea.

Another thing I forgot to mention. Dr Jones said he actually trainded Alvi Armani in his office 2 years back.

When I called Armani thought they said he would not be performing the procedure. So who actually performs the HT in the Toronto office of Armani ?

Ive been researching and only recommendation I found were armani and Seager. I beleive Seager no longer is around and Mckenzie does the work now. Anyone have a good experience with him or any other recommendations around the Toronto area ?

Another thing I forgot to mention. Dr Jones said he actually trainded Alvi Armani in his office 2 years back.

Actually I think it was more than two years ago. The rumour was and I do not know if it is true or not was that he showed him how to do FUE for 30 minutes and the next day they were offering FUE. But soon after that he was no longer offering FUE until recently.

Dr. Seager would have been my first recommondation in Toronto if he was still alive. I can't comment on Mckenzie. I would still take a look at Feller and Shapiro since they are not that far. How old are you?? Are you taking medications??

im 29

Not taking medications at all. Like I said im not really loosing that much hair, I just want to fix my receding hairline and bring down the front about 1cm.

Feller and Shapiro are in the US? Im looking for someone near Toronto if possible. If I cannot find anyone in Toronto my next choice would be to drive to Ottawa and see Rahal.

Dr. Rahal is a good choice... Good luck and keep us posted!!!

John,

If you are that concerned about traveling "which is foolish now adays considering most docs reimburse for travel" BTW im not calling you foolish" than consider Dr. Rahal. He's got an excellent reputation and he's pretty close to you. Definatly stay the night of the procedure. 2 reasons 1 because even though you arent doing anything it is very taxing on your body, and 2 you can go back the next day for follow up and they can show and do your 1st wash. 2 birds 1 stone!

I spoke with Dr. Rahals assistant today and they were very helpfull. I sent pictures and were doing a consultation over the phone after Dr. Rahal takes a look. His assistant Adrian advised I would only need around 1600 graphs when I compared a photo to a patient on his web site. They also said I will get 10% off the surgery for travel expenses which is awsome. Maybee ill drive down the night before the operation stay at a hotel, he said the prodedure would take place at 7:30am and i would probably be out by 3 or 4pm. Then sleep at the hotel and go for a post op in the morning.

Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help !

So I take it you chose your doc. I hope this is your decision and your not folding to pressure. Remember you have to feel it in your gut! This forum is not here to push certain doc's only to watch out for our own and share our experiences. If Dr. Rahal is the one you choose than I would say congratulations and good luck, but w/ him you wont need luck