Transplanting the area above the Temple

I have seen many photos of patients who have had the horizontal plane of their hairline reconstructed without vertically filling in the sides just above the temples.

I have read that Dr. Sharon Keene performs HTs along the hairline to include angled grafts filling this region above the temple.

Has anyone seen up close results of such procedures done by ANY HT docs?

Does anyone know if the other leading HT docs perform this technique?

Thanks!

I have seen many photos of patients who have had the horizontal plane of their hairline reconstructed without vertically filling in the sides just above the temples.

I have read that Dr. Sharon Keene performs HTs along the hairline to include angled grafts filling this region above the temple.

Has anyone seen up close results of such procedures done by ANY HT docs?

Does anyone know if the other leading HT docs perform this technique?

Thanks!

Most of the better HT docs can plant "angled" hair near the temples, or any place else. However, unless you suffer from a previous bad HT, I'd caution you against "jumping" into anything that would involve a "horizontal" hairline. Most guys who post here, including myself and of course, the physicians, recommend a "conservative" hairline that will look as good when you're 50 as when you're 20. Most conservative hairlines appear to have a small amount of temple recession. Only teenagers have a completely square or perfectly horizontal hairline.

I believe this fellow is asking about the "temple points"... the area sort of near the sideburns, only more forward. Look at where your sideburns are, and imagine a vertical line going straight up from there. Anything in front of that line, on the sides of your head, is the zone I am referring to. If there is a better name than "temple points" someone please let me know. I believe that is one term for it...

Most (if not all) guys who get a transplant will continue to recede in this area. When you have a strong hairline and very recessed temple points, it can look odd. A strong hairline with weak temple points is a tip-off for a hairpiece or a hair transplant.

Since there is a limited amount of donor hair, many guys need their grafts to do the more basic coverage work "on top". If you have enough donor hair and have recession in the temple points, it is a nice detail to add, that gives an extra touch of realism.

Obviously you need all-FU grafts and a doctor who can perform this kind of fine detail work.

Actually; Microprose and HotCreek figured out what I had a hard time explaining. I have the "V" shaped hairline now. I AM a little concerned that "Poof" instant Brad Pitt hairline would look too unrealistic.

I like the idea of filling in a lot of the recession on the sides, but don't need or really even like the straight squared-off look for me. My wife actually says "well if you're going to do it get as much as you can". Now there's support icon_smile.gif

Arfy, the first Doc I went to recommended this procedure because I have NOT lost the point at my temple next to my sideburns which you described. So thank you for mentioning the difference. It is for precisely that reason that the Doc said filling in the recessed hairline would look good.

So now that I mentioned not having lost the "point" next to the sideburn, does filling in most of the recessed hairline sound like it will blend well, OR will it look too unrealistic in 15 - 20 years. (BTW I'm 33 yrs old now)

Son of a plug,

I went with the approach you are speaking of, not overly aggressive, but some fairly conservative temple fill, leaving the look of some natural recession (but not much). I think it is a common approach. Looking back, I am glad I did not go overly aggressive.

But I agree with Microprose, hairlines are personal, and each guy needs to make his own call and commitment. V, U, or square..a guy will do what his opinion desires. The more aggressive you go however, the better the odds of miscalculations ?.

BTW, nice wife to offer support - keep her !

Its brutal out there, you make a mistake - you live with it.

Good Luck !

NW

Son,

While the decision as to what kind of hairline to get is a personal matter, as is the decision to have the procedure at all, I'd suggest you keep in mind that if you go with an extremely aggressive hairline and you don't like it later, there's nothing you can do about it. In particular, if you begin to rapidly lose hair (and up until about the age of 40 or so, many men do) you might end up with a big "mop" of hair in the low, frontal region of your scalp (forehead), and a huge expanse of bald skin behind it with insufficient donor hair to ever cover it.

If you go a little more conservative now, and you don't like it later, you can always go more aggressive then. Besides, many guys are surprised at how good a conservative hairline looks when they have "new," thick, strong, dense hair there. In fact, I think it looks better than a "low" hairline with "wispy" thin hair, but that is just my opinion.

So, the conservative approach is safer, and would not permanently preclude an aggressive hairline. The downside is that if you choose to get more aggressive later, well, you face another procedure with all the "down time" and waiting until it grows in.

But, as indicated, it's a personal matter: your head, your hair, your money, your time, your life, your choice.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

HotCreek,

I know this is a very personal question to have asked, but you have all supported my gut feeling that I don't want a low or even a straight hairline.

I actually began receding by 22 and was ok with what my hairline had diminished to by 25.

It gives me piece of mind to know others here agree with having an amount of hair that is reasonable for not only my current age but also years down the road.

Great Replies!

That's kind of an ignorant thing to say, Matthew. Hairlines naturally have a little recession, hence the U or V shape.

It's a little irritating to hear you say that's somehow not natural.

Arfy: I would totally agree with you that hairlines should look natural, and therefore as you age your hairline will recede somwhat. But again some of those very high u and V shaped hairlines I have come accross donot look natrual. We all know, age and your degree of hairloss will determine how your hairline will be placed. There are lots of other imortant factors as well.

Planning is key to a succesful and fully natural hair transplant.