can propecia be prescribed to an 18 year old

Crimsoneagle

I was talking to my parents saying i wanted to get a perscription of propecia to stop my hair from falling out because i have noticed its getting thinner and i read that the sooner you start the better and was wondering if a doctor would prescibe it to me or are the possible side effects not worth the trouble

crimson,

You are a legal adult, so I don't see why a doc wouldn't prescribe it to you as long as you are a healthy individual. Also, get proscar and cut it into 1/4's--it is MUCH cheaper than propecia.

At 18, I'd stick to just Rogaine alone.

There are a couple of people here who have posted about how Propecia lost its initial effectiveness after a 6-7 year period. That for you would mean age of 25. Then, after that time, you have no other option other than surgery.

Try Rogaine for a few years and see if that helps before you go on medication.

Originally posted by Curious_George:

At 18, I'd stick to just Rogaine alone.

There are a couple of people here who have posted about how Propecia lost its initial effectiveness after a 6-7 year period. That for you would mean age of 25. Then, after that time, you have no other option other than surgery.

Try Rogaine for a few years and see if that helps before you go on medication.

Yes, but remember there is a significant commitment required applying rogaine once or twice a day. I dont know how many times I've heard people say that they became sick & tired of applying the stuff. When these people subsequently stopped using it, a major shed followed.

Also, using rogaine on its own has produced somewhat mixed results for different people.

hs.

These views are from my own learned experience. I am NOT a Doctor, but people say that I do look like one from a distance.