Doctor in Hampton Roads area in Virginia

Hi,

I recently got into the whole idea of hair transplant surgery. I have a receding hair-line that continues to upset me and I've decided to do something about it.

I began be going to a local physician that referred me to a dermatologist that had no idea where to send me. He gave me good advice but basically left me on my own. Immediately after work I jumped online and ended at this website.

Well, I read a few articles and did a search for doctors in my area: Newport News, VA. The search results were Dr. William Lindsey in Reston, VA. That's fine but that doctor is very far from me and my work will frown on me if I tell them I have an appointment 4+ hours away.

I was amazed to find that there was no doctors available in the Hampton Roads or Richmond area. I would think that these two major metropolitan areas would have a doctor recommended by this site.

Two questions:

1) Is there a doctor near me that is recommend?

2) I'm sure there are other doctors that do FUE near me but are not on this site's list of providers. Would it be dangerous to utilize one of these doctors?

Hi,

I recently got into the whole idea of hair transplant surgery. I have a receding hair-line that continues to upset me and I've decided to do something about it.

I began be going to a local physician that referred me to a dermatologist that had no idea where to send me. He gave me good advice but basically left me on my own. Immediately after work I jumped online and ended at this website.

Well, I read a few articles and did a search for doctors in my area: Newport News, VA. The search results were Dr. William Lindsey in Reston, VA. That's fine but that doctor is very far from me and my work will frown on me if I tell them I have an appointment 4+ hours away.

I was amazed to find that there was no doctors available in the Hampton Roads or Richmond area. I would think that these two major metropolitan areas would have a doctor recommended by this site.

Two questions:

1) Is there a doctor near me that is recommend?

2) I'm sure there are other doctors that do FUE near me but are not on this site's list of providers. Would it be dangerous to utilize one of these doctors?

ThisGuy,

Dr. Lindsey is the only physician in Virginia that we feel confident in recommending at this time.

Despite the inconvenience of travel, you really owe it to yourself to go to a top physician. If you have to wait to take time off from work to do it, it is better to wait to have it done right than go to an unknown surgeon.

In my opinion, schedule a phone consultation with Dr. Lindsey and discuss your hair loss situation and goals. You can also use the "find" feature to see what his patients have been saying. His contact information and patient before/after pictures can be found by clicking here.

Best wishes,

Bill

Appreciate the advice. I found an old thread but it looks like it's outdated information:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746...331036921#4331036921

Although, I did find that physician's website:

http://www.stuartmed.com/

He's not on the list of supported doctors... I don't know why and maybe I shouldn't.

I'll check the surrounding states but it looks like I'll be heading over to the D.C. area.

ThisGuy,

I had a consultation with Dr. (Edwin) Epstein, in Richmond, in 2005. Most of the time was spent with a consultant in his front office (not a doctor), who suggested 1600 grafts...less than half of what Dr. Feller both suggested and did, about a year later. Dr. Epstein then came in briefly, toward the end, drew a quick line on my head, and frankly seemed impatient when I expressed hesitation at the line he drew. Dr. Feller, by contrast, took ample time, answered all my questions, and in general seemed far more interested in my goals/needs. So for me it was an easy decision icon_smile.gif Granted, Dr. Epstein was the first surgeon I had consulted, when I was just starting my search.

I'd agree with Bill about travel...even if you go up to NY, in theory you're talking about maybe $100-150 for a hotel room (depending on where you stay), plus bus or train fare, and you're already investing thousands in the procedure. So...I'd emphatically say that it's better to focus on the doctor and his/her reputation and skill, regardless.

That said, Dr. Lindsey is not only skilled (you can see his work on this site) but closely affiliated with Dr. Feller, who has many photos and glowing personal recommendations to his credit...and is only about 3.5 hours from the Tidewater area, give or take. So I'd at least make a road trip of it...

Best wishes to you, and ask as many questions as you like...

Benjamin

Alot of the top places will pay for flight and give an out of town discount. I consider Dr Alexander one of the best and they were willing to pay for flight and a night at a hotel .

I ended up going to Ron Shapiro who gives out of town discount.

Like Spex always says never let travel be an a factor.

Dr Lindsey is too new at this for me but does seem to be on the right track.

LOL, I like your name Please. Well, I'm just looking to get appx 800-1K grafts transplanted into my receding hair-line. My hair isn't that bad (knock on wood) but it's enough to bother me and I willing to pay for surgery. I sent three online consults yesterday to the DOCs in NC,VA, and MD but if another physician will pay/help pay for transportation and a hotel then I'll strongly considering going there if that doctor is experienced.

Thisguy: You are not ready for an Ht. Complaining about a measly 4 hour drive? Give me a break. A lot of guys go across the country. An Ht is REAL surgery. They cut a piece of living bleeding skin out of your head. Sounds like you need to do a LOT of research and quit rushing.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill,

How much longer should I wait for someone to get back with me regarding my 'online consultation?'

None of the three docs or their staff have sent an email to me.

Give me the truth,

I'll look into that, thanks.

ThisGuy,

If you haven't heard back fron the online consultation, I would call the clinic directly. Most likely, they have your consult and photos, but maybe they've been too busy to get back with you. A phone call is typically a sure way to get someone to help you quickly.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by give me the truth:

Did you look at Virginia Surgical Center? I am looking at them now. Please share.

Give me the truth,

After reading more on this website and Dr. Lindsey's. I'd say that you should go with any doctor this website recommends. It's not just the doctor that's important. The supporting staff and facility is something to consider as well. It may be possible to find a more experience doctor closer to home but does he have the equipment or personnel to back him? Know what I mean?

After spending a little over an hour reading, I'm leaning more on FUT as opposed to FUE. I think I'm a candidate for FUT but of course I need to get an evaluation first. I think I'll be paying Dr Lindsey a visit. :-)