DOES PROSCAR CREATE PRE-EXISTING CONDITION ?

My doctor said take propecia and do not take proscar. He said insurance companies claim proscar as a prostate drug and if I have prostate problems in the future, they will claim it is a pre-existing condition because I took proscar before. So he recommentds propecia.

I checked with the HR in my company and they said our insurance company does not implemetn pre-existing condition. But what if I change companies and the new insurance company says it.

What do you guys think?

My doctor said take propecia and do not take proscar. He said insurance companies claim proscar as a prostate drug and if I have prostate problems in the future, they will claim it is a pre-existing condition because I took proscar before. So he recommentds propecia.

I checked with the HR in my company and they said our insurance company does not implemetn pre-existing condition. But what if I change companies and the new insurance company says it.

What do you guys think?

How would an insurance company know you are taking Proscar? Only if your family M.D. puts it in your chart, and then I would think it would only affect you if applying for life insurance or private healt insurance.

Employer insurance usually covers what ever you have, as I've known them to take on even cancer patients who ultimately had bone marrow transplants; even though they had cancer or leuk. before being hired or insured.

Best to talk with your family doc.

What do you mean how the insurance company will know? They are the ones who will be paying for my Proscar bill.

But I think I will go with proscar since most employer's insurance companies do not implement pre-existing condition.

Any other comments?

misterno-

Probably the easiest thing to do to give you peace of mind is to simply pay for the proscar (about $220.00/yr), rather than having them foot the bill and therefore having any say in the matter at all.

Dr. Timothy Carman

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Originally posted by misterno:

What do you mean how the insurance company will know? They are the ones who will be paying for my Proscar bill.

But I think I will go with proscar since most employer's insurance companies do not implement pre-existing condition.

Any other comments?

I was assuming the insurance co. won't pay for the Proscar.

Originally posted by Dr. Timothy Carman:

misterno-

Probably the easiest thing to do to give you peace of mind is to simply pay for the proscar (about $220.00/yr), rather than having them foot the bill and therefore having any say in the matter at all.

Dr. Timothy Carman

But Doc, if I go for Prostrate screening in my 40s and I KNOW I have to declare being on this drug for accurate screening, it will go on my medical history and the insurance companies will know. Right?

My price for proscar thru insurance is $12.95 for 30 days since I can cut it in 5 peieces, I can use it for 150 days. Unbelievable cheap

Now for the insurance pre-existing condition situation, I talked to company's HR and they said pre-existing is not an issue in our plan. So I can use whatever I want. Also, my insurance does not apply discount for propecia so proscar is the only way to go.

Edit: I just found out that Walmart charges $10 for 90 day fillings. woow that will make it cheaper, dunno if they carry Proscar though.

Originally posted by Dr. Timothy Carman:

misterno-

Dr. Timothy Carman

How can I get proscar without prescription? I thought it was not possible.

misterno,

Proscar requires a prescription. There are some places online where you can buy generic finasteride. Determine which are legitimate and which are not however, is a challenge in itself.

What Dr. Carman is saying is that you can still buy Proscar with a prescription, but without going through insurance.

By buying Proscar straight out, you will spend about $80 every 4 months instead of $180 every 3 with Propecia.

Best wishes,

Bill