Yes, Another question

Sorry guys for all the questions, but i am curious. Ive read when you first get the transplant done and when the hair grows back that it will come in kinda looking thin, thus the need for hairs to mature over time. Does it vary tho, say that you lost your hair 10 years ago vs. someone who lost it only a few months ago. Will the 10 year one be a lot thinner and the one who just lost it a few months ago, will that come in looking just like the way it did? Or does it not matter about the time period?

Sorry guys for all the questions, but i am curious. Ive read when you first get the transplant done and when the hair grows back that it will come in kinda looking thin, thus the need for hairs to mature over time. Does it vary tho, say that you lost your hair 10 years ago vs. someone who lost it only a few months ago. Will the 10 year one be a lot thinner and the one who just lost it a few months ago, will that come in looking just like the way it did? Or does it not matter about the time period?

Will the 10 year one be a lot thinner and the one who just lost it a few months ago, will that come in looking just like the way it did?

Hmmm... I could be wrong but I don't think this has much relevance. A person who lost his/her hair a few months before the ht will have the same type of hairs coming in that area as the person who has been bald in his/her respective area for ten years: terminal hairs extracted from the donor area. The hair that was originally in the recipient site will not grow back, only the newly transplanted terminals, which will not assume anything about the area for which they are headed (doctor has to do that). These hairs have no former relation to the original hairs that were in the recipient area. Maybe there is some connection with the concentration of DHT in an area, but I don't even know about that (finestaride should help block it anyway). It may appear differently in different areas when it comes in depending on the orientation of the hairs, the numbers of hairs in the grafts, the native hair surrounding the grafts, etc. Most hairs invariably come in thinner and more wispy; some occasionaly come in coarse and darker. I'm 6 months out so the maturation process should be just beginning for me. Here we go!

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

I think YS is right on. How long ago you lost your hair is likely irrelevant. Once the graft is taken from the donor area and transplanted to the recipient site, after healing and possibly 2-4 months of dormancy, hair will start growing...............no reason to think otherwise as I've never heard of a younger person growing HT hair faster than an older person. As a point of reference, I was 39 at the time of HT #2 and grew pretty quick with a small amount of new growth evidenced just after six weeks.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Bleach,

IMO, I think you should do some more research on what hair transplantation really is and what it accomplishes.

Youngsuccess and hairbank are right on.

The surgery moves "new" hair to your recipient area (top of your head) from the donor area (side and back of your head) through a surgical procedure. The hairs that went "bye bye" long ago verses a few months ago on top of your head have no bearing on the newly transplanted hair. Remember...you are not regrowing the hair that fell out...you are growing newly transplanted hair that was moved to the top of your head. icon_wink.gif

I hope that helps clear things up a bit icon_smile.gif

Bill

This all depends on the doctor's ability and the amount of grafts used, plus the extent of the hair loss. An entirely bald man should never approach the transplant with the expectation that he will be able to style his hair anyway that he likes. However, guys who experience some loss but take other precautions with medications to help prevent further loss will have more options, especially if they have a good doner area. The hair can look natural if the procedure is done properly. Terminal hair is certainly not hairline hair; however, the placement/direction of these hairs plus the right amount of density can recreate a soft, natural hairline. The final appearance rests on the doctor's artistry. This is probably the reason why everyone should only consult coalition doctors. Personally, my results came out great so far even though I did not see a coalition doctor, but my procedure was small. My doc nailed it right on the head and I did feel very confident in his hands based on my consultation and meeting the technicians, but this does not guarantee that he is consistently able to pull off great hts with a variety of patients. Coalition docs have proven to be consistent in doing exactly that, which is the most important thing. I didn't know of the coalition at the time of my ht; good thing I got lucky. You hear horrible things about Bosley, for example (I definitely didn't go there). The truth is that they've probably done some great work, but also some terrible work. There are probably doctors out there right now doing great work who will one day be affiliated with the coalition, but you simply do not want to take the chance of getting screwed by a doctor who is competent enough to pull off the procedure without scarring you but still leaves you with a look that is unnatural. A lot of doctors are good doctors when it comes to the basics like closing the donor wound and whatnot but they simply aren't artists, which is a big part of ht work.

Also, the suggestions made by Bill and Hairbank are the best advice you can get, especially about educating yourself before the procedure. Good doctors normally list maturity level and understanding of what to expect as top criteria that the patient must exhibit in during the consultation. The more you know, the more likely it is that the doctor will consider your ideas and there is more chance of a compromise with the plan.

Are you saying that you part your hair down the middle and curl it around the eyebrows? Maybe you could post some pics of your hair: the state it is in now plus maybe an older pic. Also, I don't know if people already do this normally but you could probably use a program such as photoshop to edit a pic of your hair now using a clone tool to place hair in the areas that you want. It probably won't look all that perfect, but this might be a good way of expressing your expectations and then getting feedback on if they are reasonable or not. Or this might just encourage people to go crazy with the thing and go from Mr. Clean to Cousin It. icon_razz.gif

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

I c YS. I am sorry for al the questions guys, but I am trying to get as much information as possible. So, the hair in the back of my head appears thinner but is shorter than the front where the hairline is, the hairline hair appears thicker but is longer. If my hair in the back isnt kinda curly in the back and this is my donor hair, does this mean it wont be curly like it used too in the front. Also, can the doc make the donor hair on the top of the head instead of on the back?

Bleach,

Qualified physicians will make the incisions in your recipient area that match the natural angling of your native hair (assuming that you have some native hair to work with so they can see the natural angling). If you are completely bald, I assume you can discuss the angling of your hair with the physician so both of you are on the same page icon_wink.gif

Youngsuccess,

An entirely bald man should never approach the transplant with the expectation that he will be able to style his hair anyway that he likes.

I disagree. You can style your transplanted hair any way you like, but not every style will look optimal for the individual...if that makes sense. Hair styling is not directly related with how much hair you have, though admittedly some styles will look better than others on the individual. The key is finding the style that looks best for you based on the hair you have icon_wink.gif

Bill