Bosley in Boston

Im curious if anyone has experience with Dr Phillips at Bosley in Boston? also is it regular practice to shave your existing hair or cut it very short before the procedure? Obviously this would be quite a tip off, if one was sensitive to people noticing the surgery.

Im curious if anyone has experience with Dr Phillips at Bosley in Boston? also is it regular practice to shave your existing hair or cut it very short before the procedure? Obviously this would be quite a tip off, if one was sensitive to people noticing the surgery.

Shaving your head or cutting very short is not a necessity, that's what my doctor indicated. In fact they suggest not cutting it, especially in the back to hide the sutures. I imagine it might make it slightly easier for the doc the shorter it is, but they did definitely tell me it wasn't a necessity. I did have mine cut fairly short 2 days prior, to about an inch on top. That was more for me not having to go get it cut for some time after the procedure.

I am not a fan of Bosley, and I generally have not heard good things about them. They may have improved recently (?) but they have had a number of complaints in the recent past, which I would consider a big red flag.

Read the article here called Best_hair_transplant_procedure. What you want is an "all-FU" procedure, where every single graft has been dissected under high-powered stereomicroscopes. The microscopes can increase graft yield by a reported 20 to 30 percent. In other words, clinics who don't use microscopes may be throwing a percentage of your precious donor hair into the trash, because they can't see what they're doing when they dissect your donor strip.

Bosley does not do an all-FU transplant as described in that article, what they do is something they call "varigrafting" which means they vary the graft size, using a mix of big and small grafts. This approach is outdated. Ask your Bosly franchise if they dissect the grafts using microscopes? Not magnifiers, but desktop microscopes? I heard a rumor that at least one Bosley clinic would be "testing" microscopes, maybe it is part of the Boston franchise by now. If they do not use microscopes, I recommend you find a clinic who does.

Also, I would avoid using ANY big franchise that advertises with half-hour infomercials. These clinics tend to focus on high-volume patient turnover, and not on individual attention. They generally do not use the latest methods, and they pass the high cost of advertising on to you, the patient. So they are not the best, OR the cheapest. You can do much better than Bosley. That also means avoid NuHart and MHR as well, for all the same reasons I've mentioned regarding Bosley.

If I were you, I would consider looking outside the Boston area. I have not heard impressive comments about any of the doctors in that area. Since you will be living with this hair transplant for the rest of your life, and your hair is one of the first things people tend to notice about you, I recommend you try to figure out which doctors are considered the best, and then make an effort to see them. In many cases, these "best" doctors will be cheaper than Bosley, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I have asked this question of several doctors and msot of them do not require you to cut your hair short before surgery. There are only a very few that prefer that you do cut your hair short. They will tell you that it does make it easier for the doctor and some will claim you get better results.

Howver, most of the top Docs will work within your existing hair. You should ask this question directly to any and all of the Doctors you are considering. It's your head. You are paying out the big bucks. It should be your decision, not the Doctors, and definitiely not some anonymous poster's.

But, yes, if your hair is a little longer it will help camouflage the surgery while you heal.

icon_confused.gif

I forgot to mention that I have had a consultation with Dr. Phillips, sometime last year. But that was before I found this website, along with some others, and learned about FU's. Although Dr. Phillips certainly seemed professional and experienced, I'm not certain that they use FU's. I think they still use minis and micros, but I never asked him that question. Bosley is also very expensive. I didn't care for their consultant.

I've not found any other FU Docs in the Boston area. I've been to Dr. Beehner in Saratoga Springs. He will do an all FU procedure or he will mix in some minis. It's up to you and he will explain the differences. Go see him.

Also, there's Dr. Feller, on Long Island, but he will want to cut your hair in the receiving area very short. I did an email and phone consultation with him. I've also been to Dr. DiStefano in Worcester - minis and micros only.

And of course, Dr. Bernstein in NYC. I did an email and phone consultation with him. Great Doc, absolutely one of the best in the country, but he's on the more expensive side, yet he's very busy.

There are many others if you can and will travel.

You may have to travel to get the best results.

Best of luck.

icon_wink.gif

• 1 month later...

Guys,

I was in the hunt for good docs in this area.. I visited Bosley in 2001 but was just scared by his price (I have not even known of this site then!!!)

I dont know about the doctors who work for Bosley in particular, I met Dr. Craig in MHR in 2002, later, Dr. DiStefano, Dr. Leonard.. unfortunately i dont see as many positive posts on these docs as I see on Dr. Hassan, Dr. Shapiro, (maybe I could say Dr. True ).. I am meeting with Dr. True soon.. will keep you posted..

But if there are people who got a transplant with these docs and just reading these forums, please do post your experiences.. I will too as soon as I get mine..

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

photo album: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/albums/135

Enviro,

When did u meet Dr. DiStefano ? very recently, a month ago, when i met him, he claimed that he will do FU work .. although, i didnt specifically ask if he does all-FU work..

let me know..

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

NC30,

I agree with you that one should look at long term results one may not need to shave the head in most cases, one may just need to cut hair short for obvious reasons - it makes doctors job a lot easier! [ you dont want him confused and irritated while working on your head, do you? ]

having said that,

1. there are people who NEVER wore their hair short,

2.it may take a LONG time for them to grow back that hair to look normal,

3. half the people these days, come forward for HT only because they know they can escape questions from people about their hair if they take a week off, which maynot be possible if they cut their hair short as its visible for a long time, (2-4 weeks maybe ?)

4. the same people may NOT be in a position to wear a hat while at work !

but for all those who dont have these issues, cutting hair short doesnt matter!!!

PS:I dont mind cutting my hair short 'cause i dont have any in the first place!

PD,

I visited Dr. DiStefano over a year ago. Spring or early summer, 2002. I didn't ask him about FU's because I didn't know about them at that time. He did use microscopes. So, ask him directly.