NATURAL/HAIRS PER SQ. CENT.

A hairtransplant is supposed to give a customer a natural thin head of hair due to so many grafts per sq. cent. Is that natural ? Most guys

who have thin hair, have minutuarized hair. Does that mean that they have still more hairs per sq. cent ? When balding, do you lose hairs or do they minuterize, or both ?

A hairtransplant is supposed to give a customer a natural thin head of hair due to so many grafts per sq. cent. Is that natural ? Most guys

who have thin hair, have minutuarized hair. Does that mean that they have still more hairs per sq. cent ? When balding, do you lose hairs or do they minuterize, or both ?

Usually, hairs miniturize, then completely fall out. Sometimes, they are gonesville without miniturization or thinning.

I had the latter case at age 22, when my temples receded in a malestrom that I hope no man has to endure. The former case describes my MPB progression from then on until age 28.

Hope that helps.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

grafts per square centimeter is a hot issue, different doc's have different takes on it, some say 25, some say 40, do some reading on past posts, going to vary w/ each individual, shaft diameter, texture, straight/wavy, etc, and what one man would consider acceptable density, the next may not, has to be discussed w/ any potential doc in my opinion

Great questions

It seems that most hairs that are susceptible to the effects of male pattern baldness go through a process of miniaturization where the caliber of hair diminishes with successive cycles. There are apparently some situations as VOCOR pointed out in which hairs may simply be lost before miniaturizing.This is an interesting area of research and probably involves something termed apoptosis (programmed cell death). It is a subject that I am currently involved in studying.

It is possible to retain follicular unit density and hair density in areas while balding but the decrease in caliber of the hairs that occurs has a dramatic effect on the appearance of overall density.That is to say that as the hairs get smaller the ability to cover the scalp becomes increasingly difficult.

Whether we can cover an area with hair transplants thinly or densely depends on multiple factors. Some of these are the surface area to be covered, the donor hair available, the caliber of the donor hairs, the texture of the donor hairs, the color as well as other things.

For instance a patient with a Norwood type 3 who is 45 years old, has good donor density, blond hair and curly hair can get a result that demonstrates high density and superb coverage.It all boils down to mathematics. We rob Peter to pay Paul.

It is important to recognize that when you are born you probably have 80-100 follicular units per sq cm. When one notices a significant degree of hair loss he is probably at a density of less than 40 follicular units per square cm.

In most instances we can get very reliable results at densities of 20-30 follicualr units in a session of transplants. If someone is totally bald this would provide a thin look and the person would often return for a second session.

If the pre-op existing density is greater than perhaps 10 follicular units per sq cm the results may be more than adequate. Again alot depends on the quality of hair being transplanted

Hope this is useful

Paul T. Rose, MD, JD

President ISHRS

Board of Trustees ISCLS

Dr. Paul Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

not being mentioned before was a realistic assesment of the patients donor area. If someone has x square cent to cover or fill in, they have to take into consideration the finite donor supply. Dr Rose touched on this but i think is the most important thing to address before someone requests, or starts transplanting at a high density per square cent, kinda assumes there will no more hair loss