advice

Billydett

I just had a hair transplant with Dr. Tessler in Southfield, MI. It was about a month ago, and to me it seems like my hair is falling out quicker now. Especially near the scar. Overall it seems to be going quicker and falling out easier and not just near the transplanted hair. I don't know the cause of this. What actions can I take to stop this? I have been on Propecia since the procedure. Im using Pert Plus shampoo, and the nurse at Dr. Tesslers clinic told me that Pert plus wouldn't cause problems. I'm not really sure what to do. Does anyone have any advice or similar experience to share that may be of help?

I just had a hair transplant with Dr. Tessler in Southfield, MI. It was about a month ago, and to me it seems like my hair is falling out quicker now. Especially near the scar. Overall it seems to be going quicker and falling out easier and not just near the transplanted hair. I don't know the cause of this. What actions can I take to stop this? I have been on Propecia since the procedure. Im using Pert Plus shampoo, and the nurse at Dr. Tesslers clinic told me that Pert plus wouldn't cause problems. I'm not really sure what to do. Does anyone have any advice or similar experience to share that may be of help?

Billydet -

sounds like shock loss, which is NORMAL! It sucks because it messes with your mind a bit. I went through shock in the HT area and the donor area. The donor hasn't really recovered yet but I'm not too worried about it, I am putting Minoxidil on it to stimulate growth but I don't have much concern if doesn't grow back. the HT area shed about 80%(again normal), it made me paranoid for weeks. I thought my hair was falling quicker and freaked out. I got over it when I spoke to other HT patients who went through the same thing. I have noticed the HT is growing a LITTLE! the ones that didn't shed have continued to grow. After the first two weeks post op I felt like I was worse off than when I started. Like I said it is normal to experience some shedding and shock loss. I've been on Propecia since May 2005, I had my HT on 6-28-05. I'm now two months post op and feel very confident that the results will be very close to what I expected. As far as the shampoo, use whatever you think or whatever is recommended. I had Baby shampoo recommended by my doc, because it is milder than most other shampoos. He also said Pantene is mild enough to not cause any clogging pores and build up (at least not too quickly). I think you're in the "holy cow what's going on here" phase and it sounds like you have a good chance of growing out of it, in the NORMAL time icon_smile.gif

Everything you describe sounds normal. Sit back wait about 4 months and then see how it's going. No need to panic! icon_cool.gif

Shiny Side Up!!

Lol Thanks guys, ya I guess I was panicking a bit. Hopefully all goes well in about 4 months. I was just scared taht my donor area would keep receding until it became bald. I think I will use Rogaine on that area. I bought some yesterday. I also bought some Nizoral shampoo and Free and Clear Shampoo from the drugstore. Nizoral i will only use 2-3 times a week. I like the mild shampoo because it doesnt contain as many chemicals as other shampoos.

If you are shedding hair I probably would not add Minoxidil. Minoxidil can cause a temporary shed at first and it may just make things worse.

You may have been better off if you had already started Propecia months before your surgery. If you stop your hair loss before surgery, you tend to have less shock loss than a guy who is still losing hair when he undergoes surgery. It can take a few weeks or months for Propecia to kick in.

I don't know if there is anything you can do at this point except keep your fingers crossed.

It will eventually stop and should grow back.The first months are when its at its worst It will get better.Try not to panic. And don't hesitate to call Tessler with your/his problem.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

I am just hoping that it will stop at some point. Do you believe that it's possible for it to never stop shedding?

It should stop shedding. Remain calm and assume that everything is going to work out fine. This is a tough time, try to ride it out.