Consultation fees

More questions....

What is the average cost of a consultation with a HT doctor? Most of the websites I have visited give you a price per graft estimate and advise that the cost of your initial consultation may be recoverable if you have medical insurance. I have spoken to two HT consultants (in Australia) and it was never mentioned. Obviously my fault for not asking but when you are considering spending a small fortune on HT it feels quite silly to ask at the beginning how much their time is worth for a 30/45 minute appointment......

Thanks

Conny

More questions....

What is the average cost of a consultation with a HT doctor? Most of the websites I have visited give you a price per graft estimate and advise that the cost of your initial consultation may be recoverable if you have medical insurance. I have spoken to two HT consultants (in Australia) and it was never mentioned. Obviously my fault for not asking but when you are considering spending a small fortune on HT it feels quite silly to ask at the beginning how much their time is worth for a 30/45 minute appointment......

Thanks

Conny

I was under the impression that it was free in most cases--mine was--but maybe I am wrong.

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

Sorry folks, I know I am new here, but please... does anyone do anything for nothing?

I recently saw a HT Doctor and he does charge a small consultation fee. HT doctors must spend a lot of their valuable time with lots of potential patients who do not proceed with surgery, who is paying for their time?

Information is knowledge; if I was getting it for free I would be very sceptical and weary as to a sales strategy.

Again sorry, but not the answer I really wanted to hear. I found it reassuring that the doctor I saw had a value on his time regardless of if I was a potential client and a sale.

I may be looking at this the wrong way? Please educate me........

Anyway, not happy as after growing my hair for the last 5 weeks in an attempt to access my condition as I believed I was NW4, Doc says 5a. Started on Proscar quarters as crown may be salvageable, but not holding my breath. So for now monitor stabilisation and possible re-growth and carry on looking for the right surgeon.

Billonny,

I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong answer to this question. Some doctors charge a consultant fee, some do not. Personally I'm on the opposite side of the fence and don't agree with having to pay a consultant fee just to obtain information. But other prospective patients do not mind this.

But...

There is no correlation between the doctor's skill level and a consultant fee. In other words, just because a doctor charges for his/her time does not mean that he or she will do better quality work than one who doesn't charge.

That being said, your first move should be learning everything there is to know about hair transplantation. You can find a lot of information here on this discussion forum and our website.

Then it's time to research doctors. I recommend considering our coalition doctors who must meet and keep our high level of standards.

Choose a hair transplant physician that has a public proven track record of positive and consistent results.

Best wishes,

Bill

Originally posted by Billonny:

Again sorry, but not the answer I really wanted to hear. I found it reassuring that the doctor I saw had a value on his time regardless of if I was a potential client and a sale.

I may be looking at this the wrong way? Please educate me........

I disagree. I look at this more like a LASIK consultation, a free consultation from an attorney, or an estimate for a car repair. There is a certain amount of investment that ANYONE that is selling something should be willing to make as a part of the sales process because a certain percentage of these cases will turn into customers. Doctors should consider these consultations to be a marketing expense.

--

1st HT with Dr. Damkerng Pathomvanich, Bangkok, Thailand - 18 JUL 07 - 3300 grafts (FUT) - US$6,930

2st HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 31 JUL 10 - 2249 grafts (FUT) - US$2,200

3rd HT with Dr. Pathuri Madhu, Hyderabad, India - 26 JUL 11 - 320 grafts (FUE) touch up - US$0

My Hair Loss Weblog

My opinions are my own. I am not paid by, nor do I receive any benefits from ANY hair-related website, clinic, or doctor for my posts.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by stillhere:

I don't know how it is with doctors in Australia, but in North America, the only doctor I know of that charges a fee for a consultation is Dr. Cole in Georgia, everyone else has a free consultation wheater on-line or in person.

Consults with Dr. Cole in Atlanta are FREE now! Consults outside of Atlanta are conducted by Mark Long, Dr. Cole's senior consultant. It is free of charge.