When your hair becomes a comb-over.

jackisback1

I'm 19 w/ a receding hairline.

I'm wondering when you guys think one's hairstyle becomes a comb-over. I thought of this when I saw this dreadful picture of some guy named Gary McDonald.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bald....6safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

if that link doesn't work just check out the guy on the top left here http://www.bald.com.au/hall_of_shame.php

I don't want to be one of those people who just won't just accept when they have to cut their hair short, but I also don't want to cut it short before I have to (and i'm not trashing anyone here who is getting a transplant, i just am waiting because of my age, and hopes for future HM treatments).

Anyways, back to my original question: WHEN DO YOU THINK AN INNOCENT HAIRSTYLE BECOMES A COMBOVER?

I'm 19 w/ a receding hairline.

I'm wondering when you guys think one's hairstyle becomes a comb-over. I thought of this when I saw this dreadful picture of some guy named Gary McDonald.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bald....6safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

if that link doesn't work just check out the guy on the top left here http://www.bald.com.au/hall_of_shame.php

I don't want to be one of those people who just won't just accept when they have to cut their hair short, but I also don't want to cut it short before I have to (and i'm not trashing anyone here who is getting a transplant, i just am waiting because of my age, and hopes for future HM treatments).

Anyways, back to my original question: WHEN DO YOU THINK AN INNOCENT HAIRSTYLE BECOMES A COMBOVER?

• Administrators

Jackisback,

The legal definition of the "Combover" is not clear to me. Although is the case of Spagetti hair versus the wind tunnel the vulnerability of such hair in a comb over state as indicated as well by Troy does seem to substantiate the reality of a comb over.

However, for a truly expert opinion I defer to Spagetti Hair himself. He perfected a combover technique in the 70's that is documented online. For more info, click here.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• 3 months later...

Wow, some of you guys are kind of hard on those combovers. I am beginning to wonder if I am a combover. I got like an old transplant, plug type in the middle of my frontal hairline on both sides, middle. I comb it over. Then on top of my crown and kind of in front I have my own natural hair that I comb toward the back of my bald spot, then I have my newly transplanted FUT hair, I am trying to comb over, but it is only like 2 months old and it looks more like little whiskers that I try to comb over. Then finally on my large Bald spot in the back of my head, I have a few little tuffs of hair that are sprouting, and I have noticed lately that I am even trying to comb that. And I have a lack of Donor hair for a really thick look, so I may become a "Hair Transplant Comb Over Nightmare Story." Man, I am really getting scared. Run from the Bald Guy, kids! Wow! Scary thought!

• 1 month later...

I used to play cricket with an older guy with an atomic comb-over. One day he was running into bowl and a gush of wind blew his hair up like an Indian head dress. The batsman and the fielders close to the stumps practically fell over laughing and he had to stop the delivery.

You know your comb-over's gone too far when sporting events are delayed because of it.

If you have to grow the hair on one side of your head long enough the go all the way across your head, you have a combover. Anything else is just "artful arrangement" icon_biggrin.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Ever seen Kingpin? hahahhahahaha

102913__kingpin_l.jpg

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

I had no clue william shatner had a piece on. Everytime i see boston legal i used to wish that i have that much hair left when i get to that age.. That piece looks GOOD.. the others i dont knmow much about.

DannyG,

While a hairsystem is not the same thing as a combover, I agree that Shatner's current one looks very good. It looks very appropriate for a man his age.

I'm not sure he wore one during the "Star Trek" era and I was a young child then. But "T.J. Hooker" had a cult following among my friends and I at our college during the 80's (one reason being the presence of an early Heather Locklear!)Looking back I'm almost certain he wore one then and it was more feathered, puffy, and blow dried which of course was the style of the day. He always did some very physical things and I think a lot of his own stunts like fights so it must have been well secured.

I've said here before that the actor Hector Elizondo of "Chicago Hope" and "Pretty Woman" wears hair systems in some of his roles that look very natural and age appropriate.

Phil