WHEN WILL THEY SPROUT

THIS IS MY 4TH TRANSPLANT. 800 (4/96 LAWRENCE SHAPIRO)850 (11/98 LEAVITT MHR) 800 (1/00 LEAVITT MHR)&1400 (1/31/06 NUSSBAUM) i AM NOW 5 MONTHS POST OP AND NOT MUCH POPPING OR SPROUTING AT THIS STAGE CONTRARY TO PRIOR EXPERIENCE. ANY THOUGHTS

THIS IS MY 4TH TRANSPLANT. 800 (4/96 LAWRENCE SHAPIRO)850 (11/98 LEAVITT MHR) 800 (1/00 LEAVITT MHR)&1400 (1/31/06 NUSSBAUM) i AM NOW 5 MONTHS POST OP AND NOT MUCH POPPING OR SPROUTING AT THIS STAGE CONTRARY TO PRIOR EXPERIENCE. ANY THOUGHTS

Unfortunately I've read only negative comments about Lawrence Shapiro. As for MHR they are considered hairmills and produce inconsistent results. I hope you have better luck with Nussbaum but unfortunately I've never heard of him.

Are you satisfied with the HT's of any of the above results?

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Did you have crown work this past time around? My 2nd HT was mainly in the crown and it's definitely coming in a little slower than the first HT. Other than that, I can't see why this should be different that the others. When did you start growing with the other HT's? Was it pretty consistent?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Shapiro scared me when I was contemplating another HT. His work was ok and Leavitt did a very good job. However the last transplant I noticed that the grafts were unbalanced between the left and right side with the left side being denser. This prompted me to see Bernard Nusbaum in Coral Gables Florida who is a real pro -great technician -very nice and responsive physician. Sprouting is just starting after 5 months where the others were at the 4 month mark. Nusbaum refuses to see you for follow up until the 6 month milestone has passed. By the way what turned me off about Shapiro was he tried to show a new patient my before pictures and they were not even mine. They showed someone with virtually no hair and introduced me as that person.

Don't you know that the great Dr. Ron Shapiro wishes there wasn't another doctor with the same last name. icon_smile.gif

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Originally posted by BUDDY:

Shapiro scared me when I was contemplating another HT. His work was ok and Leavitt did a very good job. However the last transplant I noticed that the grafts were unbalanced between the left and right side with the left side being denser. This prompted me to see Bernard Nusbaum in Coral Gables Florida who is a real pro -great technician -very nice and responsive physician. Sprouting is just starting after 5 months where the others were at the 4 month mark. Nusbaum refuses to see you for follow up until the 6 month milestone has passed. By the way what turned me off about Shapiro was he tried to show a new patient my before pictures and they were not even mine. They showed someone with virtually no hair and introduced me as that person.

Its definately a shame that you went with Lawrence Shapiro instead of Ron Shapiro, your experience would have been vastly better in the hands of one of the worlds best. Misleading and unrealistic expectations are clear signs of unethical surgeons.

Having a look at the dates can I ask which of your HT's were Mini/Micros and which were FUT?

By 5 months I would be expecting some signs of growth although there are reports of late bloomers so I wouldnt be too worried until the next month or two. Depending on the coverage 1400 grafts should be quite a noticeable difference - hang in there and keep us updated on your progress. It would be good to know if Dr Nusbaum can produce good results.

Originally posted by Gorpy:

Don't you know that the great Dr. Ron Shapiro wishes there wasn't another doctor with the same last name. icon_smile.gif

That is so true! I was seeing which posts are new and noticed the statement 'Shapiro scared me...' which prompted me to check in and read the statements.

You're right Gorpy - there's only one Ron Shapiro!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Hi All,

Someone forwarded me this post.

THANK YOU ALL FOR KEEPING IT CLEAR THAT I AM IN NO WAY RELATED OR AFFILLIATED WITH DR LAWRENCE SHAPIRO. WE ARE OPPOSITES. It is a shame we have the same last name. Thanks to the internet and a lot of your monitoring it seems that most of the time patients that have heard of me and my reputation end up with me. I have had to deal with this physician for about 10 years. There were a couple of time that patients looking for me called his office and, according to the patients; he led them to believe he was me. I have not had much recourse against this but if anyone has any experience of this happening please let me know as at that point I think I may have some recourse against him

As far as the slow growth at 5 months. Dr Nussbaum has a great reputation and I know he is a caring physician. After multiple surgeries

it can take longer to start growing. Also results in the crown are a little more subtle because we view more from the top which does not give as great an illusion of density as viewing hair straight on (which is why a front view photo may appear full and then a top view thin...a reason to see top views) I would not make any judgment until we give it a chance to grow and see true side by side photo. But the crown transplant will look thinner until it gets long enough to shingle over itself

Take care Ron Shapiro

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE VALUE OF USING NIZORAL?

I will quote Roberts website on his description on Nizoral shampoo:

http://www.iregrewmyhair.com/my-story/5-ways-to-regrow-...-hair-loss-sufferer/

Nizoral shampoo creates optimum scalp conditions. It has been proven in studies to increase hair count. It truly is the only shampoo available that will help stop hair loss and promote regrowth. There are two concentrations of Nizoral available. The 1% concentration is available over-the-counter under the label "NizoralNizoral AD." The more potent 2% concentration is only available by prescription for U.S. residents.

Nizoral is most effective when used three times per week, alternated with a gentle thickening shampoo such as Nioxin. Application time should be around 5 minutes.

I can further add that it is also the best shampoo I've used so far to stop dandruff.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THE VALUE OF USING NIZORAL?

To quote Dr Lee...

"Ketoconazole has been proven to decrease the quantities of DHT in the scalp by helping to inhibit its synthesis from existing sterols."

Basically its a anti-androgen, not as effective as topical spiro or internal finasteride, but proven effective.... possible downsides are dry hair and/or irritated scalp, etc.....can negate most of the risks with proper use...