Dr. Ricardo Mejia, South Florida

Results are fantastic! Dr. Mejia transplanted some 2,300 follicles for me 14 months ago (Sept 2006). No one can tell I've had a transplant. People seeing me now typically say, "you look younger than ever!".

My doc:

Dr. Ricardo Mejia,

Jupiter Dermatology & Hair Restoration

(removed promotional information)

I'm 50, but have needed to supplement my front hair line beginning at age 40. By age 46, I really needed it with my friends beginning to comment on how much better I'd look. I was very concerned that a transplant would leave my scalp looking like a cornfield.

Dr. Mejia correctly advised me that, not only would my hair look better, but my face would be more proportionate with a "normal" hairline. HE WAS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

My experience in summary: Arrived at clinic and was in a dentist-type chair loaded with Valium by 9am. By lunch, the follicles had been removed and were being separated by technical staff. Had nice lunch (still high on Valium so the time passed quickly.) After lunch, a few more hours and it was done. My friend drove me home with a bandage on my head.

The post-op care wasn't too bad. I did not want anyone to see me for about 10 days and I was fortunate to work from home. The new hair growth was evident in 3 months and I looked much better/younger by month 4.

The only change that I would make is to transplant the maximum your head and wallet will sustain.

If you've read this posting to the end and would like to contact me, I don't mind as my hair improvement has made a difference in my life. Please use the traditional email format for:

(removed promotional content)

I am entering my address in this fashion to help cut down on spam. If you don't get a reply from me, try again as your email may have been routed to my Outlook junk folder.

Good luck with your search.

Results are fantastic! Dr. Mejia transplanted some 2,300 follicles for me 14 months ago (Sept 2006). No one can tell I've had a transplant. People seeing me now typically say, "you look younger than ever!".

My doc:

Dr. Ricardo Mejia,

Jupiter Dermatology & Hair Restoration

(removed promotional information)

I'm 50, but have needed to supplement my front hair line beginning at age 40. By age 46, I really needed it with my friends beginning to comment on how much better I'd look. I was very concerned that a transplant would leave my scalp looking like a cornfield.

Dr. Mejia correctly advised me that, not only would my hair look better, but my face would be more proportionate with a "normal" hairline. HE WAS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

My experience in summary: Arrived at clinic and was in a dentist-type chair loaded with Valium by 9am. By lunch, the follicles had been removed and were being separated by technical staff. Had nice lunch (still high on Valium so the time passed quickly.) After lunch, a few more hours and it was done. My friend drove me home with a bandage on my head.

The post-op care wasn't too bad. I did not want anyone to see me for about 10 days and I was fortunate to work from home. The new hair growth was evident in 3 months and I looked much better/younger by month 4.

The only change that I would make is to transplant the maximum your head and wallet will sustain.

If you've read this posting to the end and would like to contact me, I don't mind as my hair improvement has made a difference in my life. Please use the traditional email format for:

(removed promotional content)

I am entering my address in this fashion to help cut down on spam. If you don't get a reply from me, try again as your email may have been routed to my Outlook junk folder.

Good luck with your search.

David,

Welcome to our community.

I'm pleased to hear that you've had a positive experience with Dr. Mejia.

I encourage you to post some photos in our photo album section and to create a hair loss weblog to share your photos and chart your progress.

I have removed the promotional contact information you provided in your above post as per our terms of service.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hey guys i think its obvious that we all have noticed the contributions of Dr. Mejia, and I thank you for your input doc. With no disrespect to the doc, disrespect is not my intent, is it unusual that a Dr. becomes so active in a forum. Once again I am not targeting the Dr., just like the other members have stated pictures are worth a 1,000 words. Its nice to see doctors become active in forums and giving invaluable insight, but is there a fine line on "too much" participation from a doc that puts the members guards up?

You only live once...

I think it's great that Dr. Mejia has been participating in our community.

He has been one of our recommended physicians for years (confirmed by Pat) performing solid follicular unit hair transplantation. See his recommendation profile here.

And though I appreciate his detailed answers to many questions and encourage it, I do hope however, that he will focus more of his attention on posting examples of his recent work for all of us to see.

I have also encouraged him to do this privately as did Pat.

Bill

Bill et al:

Thank you for your input and recommendation.

Rest assured I will try to get the photos for you. There are a few obvious reasons for delays on my part.

1. I am professionally obligated by a code of medical ethics and HIPPAA privacy laws not to publish or disclose any photos of patients without the knowledge and written consent of my patients. It is not always easy for me to get these consents from my patients. I do not have these on all my patients and consequently I have to invest a significant amount of time tracking them down for written consents, if they do agree.

2. I have not placed a significant emphasis on marketing or advertising and posting photos since my recommendation on this website almost two years ago. Pat has been recommending it, but as I stated, I never saw the need to do it or recommend to my patietns to post their experiences. But as I have learned, it is important for you to see and a pictures says 1000 words. I do have some on this site as well as on my website. www.skinandhairdoc.com. I invite you to at least preview those until I can get new more recent work and update my website.

3. With Bills Permisision and my patients, I can have Bill post my patients and any testimonails on my patients behalf if they are unable to do so, themselves. This way at least you can see for yourself.

4. Arrie: No disrespect taken. The latin word for doctor is "Iatros" which means "to teach", a philosophy which I try to live by. I am a faculty instructor at live hair transplant surgery workshops and speak regularly at meetings, as well as the upcoming Dermatology editor for the Hair Forum. Thanks to Pat's suggestion for me to become more involved with the forums, I have found an additional outlet to impart the knowledge I have. The bad thing about it is that I have enjoyed doing it and I have found the people on this forum to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful to other patients. MY wife thinks I am a Hair Junkie, MY 6 year old doesn't like it, but fortunately I am a night owl and can take the time.

Be patient... God is not finished with me yet.

Ricardo Mejia MD

sorry, but not one of those results on the web site looks satisfactory to me. that's my opinion, but there are so many superior doctors and only somebody who wasn't truly educated about hair transplantaton could express satisfaction with any of those "after" pictures.

Guest josh - b

nikkop23,

I think i fall into the uneducated camp as i think the results on dr mejias website are quite good. Most of the patients have significant hairloss and have received a relatively small amount of grafts but their results look good. Obviously most will need another roll of the dice so to speak.

Does dr mejia perform larger 3000+ single sessions?

I agree with josh-b - I think for the number of grafts transplanted, the results on his website look good.

Admittedly, the photos could be higher resolution with pictures of multiple angles. I and the majority of this community are also very keen on immediately postoperative pictures as well as the final donor scar.

Dr. Mejia,

I'll be happy to help you post pictures. I can post them on your behalf if you are unable, however, please provide me as many detailed photos and descriptions as possible.

I recommend providing the folllowing:

1. Before, immeditely post op, and after pictures of the recipient and donor from various angles for each patient (before/after pictures should be in similar angle and lighting if possible)

2. Create one photo album per hair transplant session per patient. For patients who received more than one procedure - I personally recommend creating a separate album and then linking the two albums together.

3. Provide detailed graft/hair count breakdowns and the number of sessions to achieve the desired result.

4. Be as descriptive as possible providing the patient's hair restoration goals, any physicological information, complications, limitations, etc. Include a mention of the patient's hair characteristics and achieved hair density if possible.

5. Be sure also to create photo albums of larger hair transplant sessions of over 2500 grafts in a single session.

I think the above photo albums will be detailed enough to give our members an excellent feel for the quality work that you perform.

Bill

Nikkop:

You are entitled to express an opinion without a proper consultation of the patients goals, expectations, coverage vs density, hairline and budget, some of which was done for as little as $3000. ALl the photos on the website are from patients over 7 years old and display distinct characteristics. At that time many physicians were not doing ultra refined Follicular unit HT as we are doing today.

Im ny opinion, I cutomize my approach differently with each patient after a full consultation SO yes, you are correct,if you have a certain look or image you expect, it may not be representative in the photos shown. I can tell you the patients are extermely happy. However, I will be happy to comment on any specific issue you haver rather than a generalized statement. Can you also give me the name of a physician that will do an Ultra refined session of 3500 grats for $3000.

I will post more updated photos for you when I get a chance. Got to get back to work. thanks for your opinion.

Ricardo Mejia MD

I can't understand why docs don't update their photos on their web sites. I would think this is one of the most effective marketing tools today. i'm not a big armani fan, but i must say his web site probably drives a lot of business. imo, dr. alexander has a great site in regards to pics. they are accurate (not "headshots") and display immediate post-op shots.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Dr. Mejia,

Its nice to see a doc really interested in educating previous and future pts of a ht. I am glad to see that you understood my post as a legitimate question and concern about all "active" doctors on this forum, not as a question of ethics on your part. I hope to see more of your work posted by your pts. (I agree that aggressive advertisement bye doctors may look suspicious, thats just my opinion)

You only live once...