My Hair Pics w/ Some Transplant Questions

Howdy All,

First let me say that I realize my hair loss isnt that bad, comparatively speaking, but its been devestating to me. Im 37 now and I first noticed my hairline receeding when I was 20, so its luckily been a very slow process for me. Its just within the past year that its been severely thinning in the front and somewhat on top and its now becoming very noticable. As you can see you can literally count the hairs in front (and it looks a lot worse in the sun light). Id like to get a transplant to bring the hairline down somewhat and also thicken the front to where it looks like it used to (a full head of normal hair).

I was guessing maybe somewhere around 1500 grafts would be great. Im planning to see Dr. True some time in the future but before I do I was wondering what you all think: I dont want to wait until it gets a lot worse before I get a transplant but I dont know if any Dr. would do it at this point(?). Or would they? Can anyone estimate how many grafts I would need?

Thanks!!

(heres the front view pic)

front.jpg.24f9316f777bb27dcd6315ca2abbcfcb.jpg

Jeff,

I don't know that you really need a procedure. You have a lot of hair. Even the "receding temple" pic doesn't look that bad. If you do decide to have work done - you want to go to the best in the business. Anyone less than top notch could butcher you. I'm not trying to scare you but HT's can cause shock loss/fallout. Your hair will probably look worse for a few months before it looks better. Are you ready to deal with that?

Your hair looks great to me, I wouldn't have anything done with hair like that. You look better than most do AFTER a hair transplant.

PB

Wow man, it looks like there's a lot of hair there. Just pop some Propecia. Don't get your head cut OVER THAT. It looks great.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Jefff,

While you still have a nice head of long hair, I can understand how you're feeling. I also had long hair for quite a while (actually letting it grow long again after having two HT's). Since I'm a musician and appearance is important on stage, when it started receding, even a little bit, at around 30 years of age (1990), it was devestating. Being under the lights made it worse! I didn't know about Propecia back then or if it was even available (I'm 45 now). Got my first HT in 10/04 (1500+ grafts) and my second in 11/05 (1000+ grafts) and am very pleased with the results. If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten all the grafts done in one fell swoop, however.

Start using finasteride (Propecia or Proscar) right away to stop further hair loss. If you're that unhappy with your hair right now, follow through with some consultations to see what they can do. Since you're 37 years old, I believe that Dr. True (or any other doctor) will take your request seriously.

One other thing, I notice that you part your hair in the middle. Try a part on the side. That will cover up some of the thinness on top.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replys and advice guys. icon_smile.gif

I already started proscar a couple of weeks ago (although I got it from Argentina so Im concerned over it). I know my loss isnt all that dramatic, but Im really afraid of what the future will bring (especially since Im really upset with what Ive lost already).

Kamin, I remember reading about your experience... do you have a link to your pics?

Thanks again.

My word 37 with that head of hair, you are truly blessed my friend. If anything take some propecia for a while and if for some reason you still think you need a HT I would look into a FUE procedure.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Howdy L'Anonyme,

Wow, our pics really do look a lot alike!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks very much for all the info. Your after pic looks really, really great... looks like they filled your frontal area in beautifully (exactly what Im looking for!). Im also glad to see that they didnt have to shave your head in front at all (I was very worried about that). Did Dr. True suggest shaving it, or explain why he didnt have to do so?

So I have some more questions (if you dont mind answering some). I wasnt planning on consulting w/ them for about another 6 months as I need time to save more money... do you mind saying how much your whole procedure cost? Do you know if youll need to go in for any more transplants in the future? Were they able to predict what (if any) your future hair loss pattern would be?

Well great luck to you with your soon to be new head of hair (Im so jealous! icon_biggrin.gif )!

Jeff

Hey Now L'Anonyme,

Well you certainly answered all my questions and then some icon_smile.gif. Ive also been doing a lot of reading here so Im pretty sure I dont have any more questions right now, but thanks a million for all the info you provided and the chance to question you some more (Im sure you'll hear from me in no time icon_wink.gif).

I already had narrowed down my options to Feller or True after reading a million great things about both of them here... but Im pretty sure True will be the one I go to though (especially being that my hair is also shoulder length and I have no intentions of cutting it short- so shaving a very obvious portion of it would really, really suck...). I know it may sound crazy to some but for me getting a short haircut is just not something I could do (unless of course I had absolutely no alternative).

So I take it you dont recommend proscar instead of propecia?? (OK here are some more questions already):

-I already take klonopin for anxiety (which Im pretty much immune to by now) so valium, Im sure, would do nothing to ease me while getting sliced open while awake... do they offer any other type of sedation? Perhaps a shot/needle of something? Im unbelievably freaked out over the strip being removed while being awake... I just cant fathom the thought of having to hear and feel it even though I know it'll be numb. Was it terrible?

Thanks again dude.

Hey L'A,

Thanks for the reassurance regarding the strip excision... it really had me extremely worried. Yeah, I really do need to get a Dr to write me a prescription as Im constantly in doubt of my Argentinian proscar.

icon_biggrin.gif I also cant understand buzzing your hair after a transplant, but to each is own I guess. Ive been to to True/Dorins website but I havent seen Rassmans baldingblog... Ill definitely have to check that out. Well Im off for now L'A... talk to ya later.

Hi Jeff

I went to T & D as well and had a great experience as well. 1417 the first time and 1476 the 2nd with the T closure.. Also, I did not have to shave my head ( a big concern for me) as Dr. True worked between the existing hairs. So far so good !! I'm waiting for my results to fillin from the second prcedure as I am at 5 months.. Extremely natural results ! You need to get on Propecia as well..

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hey JB,

Thanks for your input as well. Do you have any pics up anywhere to view? Good luck w/ that, it sounds like youre on your way to having some massive hair sprouting!