Propecia???

DOes propecia really grow the hairline or should i say thickens thinning hair? Ive read some places where they say it does and some place that they say it does? and how much does it cost. All comments are welcomed. Thanks

DOes propecia really grow the hairline or should i say thickens thinning hair? Ive read some places where they say it does and some place that they say it does? and how much does it cost. All comments are welcomed. Thanks

Hi Gold

Propecia can grow some hair in the hairline but very slight. I would say, overall it does a better job of retention than "re-growth".It will certainly not give you a dense hairline rather thicken exisiting hair a bit at best. Obviously, it depends on the person as results vary.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Okay.......

Propecia (1mg pill) and Proscar (5mg pill) are both Finasteride, which is the active ingredient helping to slow or halt Male-Pattern-Baldness. Some opt to purchase Proscar, then cut the pill into 1/4ths taking 1.25mg per day rather than buy Propecia because it's cheaper to purchase Proscar.....make sense?

Finasteride is Finasteride. Yes, generic works fine...........I use it and have seen results. Mrjb is correct, Finasteride helps you everywhere but the best results for regrowth are in the crown.

To the contrary, and just to show you everyone's different and it works differently for everyone, I'm 40 yrs old and have taken it for one year and have mild regrowth in the hairline. The new hair I have doesn't match the density of my HT hair but it may over time as it cycles. Definitely softens the hairline. Maybe this will happen for you but maybe it won't............don't know until you try. icon_cool.gif

Hope this helps.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

From Goldstar...

oh ok. I saw generic propecia for sale

From Hairbank...

Finasteride is Finasteride. Yes, generic works fine...........I use it and have seen results. Mrjb is correct, Finasteride helps you everywhere but the best results for regrowth are in the crown.

What hairbank says is correct...BUT...

Be CAREFUL on this one. Generic PROSCAR (rather than Propecia) is one thing. There is a generic out there that really contains finasteride and can be purchased instead of Proscar by pharmaseutical companies. Generic Propecia, however, is not available in the US (unless something changed that I'm unaware of). Many people resort to buying generic Propecia online, however, I tend to worry whether or not many of these online pharmaseutical companies can be trusted.

Best bet...if you are going generic, go generic proscar and buy a pill splitter and cut the tablet into quarters. that's what I do and works the same as Propecia.

Bill

Goldstar-

Bill has a good point about the meds, the key is making sure the meds are manufactured by a reputable company, like MERCK. I've never been a fan of ordering them online. If you get a prescription for Proscar, take it to your nearest Walmart, or other reputable pharmacy, and get it filled and I'm sure you can get the generic variety. I'd advise against ordering online.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Goldstar,

As I've stated above and as hairbank said as well...it's best to order from a reputable company. I don't have a link I could provide for you because I don't know of any reputable online pharmacies. That's NOT to say there aren't any...it's just that I don't know of any.

Your best bet is to get a prescription from your doctor and get it from a pharmacy.

Bill

Goldstar,

These guys are right: it's probably best to get a precription and buy it from local pharmacy. In my case,I got prescription for 5 mg Finasteride tablet (the so-called generic Proscar). With insurance coverage,I only had to pay $5 for 30 pills (4 month supply),so even if my doctor charges me a little money for the prescription (which he didn't),it's still cheaper. As you can see from the attached photo,the generic pill is perfectly round,so very easy to cut. I take half pill (2.5 mg) every other day.

pill_splitter.jpg.37a18a4e824527b559f1d4065de91242.jpg

it depends..........

Often times your General Practitioner will write the script for you. If not, try a dermatologist or possibly HT Doc if you have one close by. Those of us who've had HT's usually just get them from our HT Doc...........that's what I do anyway.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog